Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Additional Maternity

Options
  • 09-08-2017 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I am currently on maternity leave. I wish to take the eligible 16 weeks additional unpaid maternity leave. Im so confused about whether its worth it.
    Will the social welfare be able to give me anything during those 16 weeks? I've been in my job 6 years now.
    With a baby I can't afford to take leave if no money is coming in and I am not ready to go back to work so soon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

No lucy unpaid is exactly that.......you get no money.
    Do you have any holidays left to take?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Only possibility would be if your GP were to agree you're not ready to return to work, and if he were willing to sign you off on illness benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

You built up annual leave while out, have you taken all that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

myshirt wrote: »
    You built up annual leave while out, have you taken all that?

Perhaps your work would agree to you going back part time?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Only possibility would be if your GP were to agree you're not ready to return to work, and if he were willing to sign you off on illness benefit.

People generally don't want to leave their baby to return to work. It doesnt mean they are ill. The OP never mentioned sickness of any sort.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

My company pro rated out my pay over the 10 months. would your company do this?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

That's unusual John Mason, I've never heard that.Did you ask them to do it?It's quite a good idea.I can't imagine it will work for the OP since they seem to have taken the six months of paid leave already though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Also worth considering tax. Since your earnings are less this year you'll end up paying less tax on what you do earn. Every situation is different so you'll need to calculate your own but the difference may help.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

If you qualify for FIS you can claim that,other wise use up all your holidays and bank holidays as they are paid.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

shesty wrote: »
    That's unusual John Mason, I've never heard that.Did you ask them to do it?It's quite a good idea.I can't imagine it will work for the OP since they seem to have taken the six months of paid leave already though.....

they offer it for everyone. it was brilliant

• Advertisement
Advertisement