Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canadian Travel Insurance if I'm already in Canada?

Options
  • 10-08-2017 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭

I set up a travel insurance policy last year but recently found out it doesn't cover me because I needed to be in Ireland when I set up the policy (I was in Canada at the time). Does anyone know a company I can set up policy with if I'm already in Canada? I think World Nomads will let me do it but maybe someone knows another company to go with? Ideally something that'll cover the US and winter sports as well. It's moreso for medical expenses rather than delayed flights etc

Also, do I need to be a canadian permanent resident to apply for BC Medical?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I can't help with the travel insurance but you don't need to be PR to apply for MSP, in fact if you are resident in BC (even under IEC) you are obligated to register for MSP unless you specifically opt-out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Thanks, I just found that out yesterday so I've applied this morning. Says it takes 3 weeks for them to make a decision and I'm going to the states in 2 weeks so I might just take it short term travel insurance for that trip. Does MSP cover everything (eg winter sports, ambulance trips etc?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

MSP doesn't cover everything

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/health-drug-coverage/msp/bc-residents/benefits/services-not-covered-by-msp

Most employers provide extended healthcare that pays for some of the services not covered by MSP.

MSP will also only cover the cost of what a procedure would cost in BC if you travel overseas, so it's not a substitute for proper travel insurance.

Thanks for the info. I can get on my employers healthcare in October once I've been with them 12 months so hopefully that, along with MSP, will have me covered for most things. Thanks for taking the time to reply :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

try VHI International - it works like a roving VHI so gives private medical insurance where ever you are worldwide including visits back to ireland for less than 60 days. (except USA which it covers just for hols though). there might be qualifying periods for medical procedures. got it when moving to Oz and backpacking in Asia 2 yrs ago and converted back to Irish VHI on return.

https://www.vhi.ie/travel-insurance/international

• Advertisement

try VHI International - it works like a roving VHI so gives private medical insurance where ever you are worldwide including visits back to ireland for less than 60 days. (except USA which it covers just for hols though). there might be qualifying periods for medical procedures. got it when moving to Oz and backpacking in Asia 2 yrs ago and converted back to Irish VHI on return.

https://www.vhi.ie/travel-insurance/international

Thanks but you need to be a resident in Ireland for 6 months of the previous 12 to qualify for this. I left Ireland 6 years ago so can't use this unfortunately. Thanks for taking the time to respond though!

Advertisement