Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are these foundations over exposed?

Options
  • 10-08-2017 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I'm getting my garden landscaped. The guys had to dig deeper than I expected to get a tree stump out... and fix a ESB cable... don't ask!

Anyway I don't know anything about this stuff, but does it look like the foundation of the back wall, and the pier beside it, have been over exposed? Should the lads do something more solid than just backfill with soil, such as add concrete to make it all more solid?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

The wall seems newer than the Pier .The wall seem to be mass concrete built from timber casing their could be a more substantial founation down lower.But the pier mam have to be addressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

My two cents is that if it's back filled with soil up to the original level and well compacted, it'll be fine. Remember if the wall is vertical, the weight is bearing down, not sideways. It's not a load bearing wall, all the foundations have to achieve is to provide a solid structure that will prevent the weight of the wall from sinking.

Seems to be a crack already in one photo, is that old or new? The wall could be block built and rendered, hard to tell but that'd be my guess. Judging roughly from photos, it's not a new wall and has been standing for a few decades. So if it hasn't moved during excavation work, restoring same back to ground level, it's not likely to change much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

My two cents is that if it's back filled with soil up to the original level and well compacted, it'll be fine. Remember if the wall is vertical, the weight is bearing down, not sideways. It's not a load bearing wall, all the foundations have to achieve is to provide a solid structure that will prevent the weight of the wall from sinking.

Seems to be a crack already in one photo, is that old or new? The wall could be block built and rendered, hard to tell but that'd be my guess. Judging roughly from photos, it's not a new wall and has been standing for a few decades. So if it hasn't moved during excavation work, restoring same back to ground level, it's not likely to change much.

Freestanding walls don't have much downward weight... its wind/overturning that is the concern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

Freestanding walls don't have much downward weight... its wind/overturning that is the concern.

Sure, so backfilling and compacting back to original ground level should be fine, if the wall has not deteriorated during excavation. Reinforcing the foundations would be superfluous.

Advertisement