Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting yourself during a Masters

• 10-08-2017 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I was just wondering how people generally support themselves while doing a Masters? There's no Back to Education allowance for most courses, obviously you cant claim Jobseekers Allowance either, and most households are over the income threshold for a SUSI maintenance grant.

Judging by how intense the final year of my Bachelors was, I could probably just about work around 12-15 hours a week part-time while juggling the Masters as well, but the income from a minimum wage job at that amount of hours would'nt exactly be comfortable.

Do people generally rely solely on part-time work or is there any other type of allowance or grant that can be claimed? There don't seem to be a lot of jobs that let you work for only a few hours a week either?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭Shoebox1926

Hi Bobmaster, I really wanted to do a masters but it's not possible for me to do because Ive no financial help, I could take out a loan but I dont want to go down that road especially considering that theres never any guarantee of finding a job after completing the course. Ive opted for a hdip in adult education instead as fees are cheaper and grants are available for that course. Its taken me 2 years to save up the 6,000 euro fees. I was talking about this with somebody and her response was- 'can you not just ask your parents to take out an overdraft?' Me- *rolls eyes to infinity and beyond*

I have friends who have completed postgrads and some are about to do postgrads this September. Majority of them have been funded or helped out financially by parents and other family members, ive a friend whose about to persue her second masters degree, both funded by her family. Her family also helped her out with getting part time employment by asking their friends/family members so run shops/pubs/takeaways ect so she can pay her living expenses, they also give her extra money the odd time too. Another girl I know did her masters straight after her undergrad, her parents paid her 12,000 fees, paid for her accommodation in Dublin and supported her financially through out the year. I think this is quite common, lucky for some.
    That being said I know one guy whose 20 grand in debt from trying to put himself through a postgrad course so the other option would be to take out a loan.

If you have family that can help you then ask them. Otherwise you could try get a job in pub or takeaway, somewhere that opens late at night and on weekends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

I'm moving into 2nd year of my masters. Working full-time to pay for it, 4500 per year. I think what people often forget is you don't need it all in one go. For example I paid 1500 last week, then will pay another 1500 in January and another 1500 in April(I think). So I just put money aside during the year as I work to pay for it.

Timewise I'm working 39 hour week and doing the masters without issue, second year is actually quieter!

P.S. If you can get a job in industry while studying a relevant masters you're much better off than the guy with no work experience and just the education.

Advertisement