Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheated in Facebook competition

15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Well done piratequeen, cant expect a better outcome than that. Happy baking with the new mixer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

For example today, I was thinking of this thread, I saw a local newspaper advertising a competition, but they made it very clear that Facebook votes did not count, and to go to their website.
    Maybe that's a safer way to run a competition.
    Then again, I also saw a scam Aer Lingus competition which urged people to enter in a link, and that was a 7.50/wk subscription service ! Enter phone number in main frame of course, small print at bottom job. :eek:

For example today, I was thinking of this thread, I saw a local newspaper advertising a competition, but they made it very clear that Facebook votes did not count, and to go to their website.
    Maybe that's a safer way to run a competition.
    Then again, I also saw a scam Aer Lingus competition which urged people to enter in a link, and that was a 7.50/wk subscription service ! Enter phone number in main frame of course, small print at bottom job. :eek:

I think it'll be a long long time before I enter another competition :pac: but yeah I've noticed a good view dodgy competitions around in the past week, it's definitely something there should be increased awareness about or else companies will continue to take advantage of people for free publicity.

Tbf to the company involved in this case it was a mostly well run and enjoyable competition and I don't think they intended to mislead anyone, but had an unfortunate mishandling at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

Squeaky wheel gets the oil as they say 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Delighted for you, and here's a PR company/client that we can probably fully trust from now on, plus other may have seen this thread and will take extra care in explaining rules clearly before the start of their online competitions.

Goes to show it pays to speak your mind, rather than keep quiet and accept whatever situation because "reasons" (as my 12 year old says).

This^^^ A minority of posters on this thread were telling you to just "put up and shut up" and I'm really glad you didn't. You've got to speak up for yourself! Delighted to hear about the positive result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Very pleased to update and say I've just got off the phone with the PR company, and they've agreed to offer me a KitchenAid in my choice of colour!

I tried to get a clear explanation about how they counted the votes and got a confusing explanation about adding the 1k likes + loves that the public saw, which sounds like they didn't realise that FB rounds to nearest 100 after 1000, but they wouldn't go into any more detail and said they can't share their page insights with anyone other than their client (which is fair enough I suppose). The story about private likes was noticably absent. They did say they'll be careful to manage their future competitions differently though so I guess I brought some oversight or fault to their attention.

Many thanks for everyone's support & suggestions on this thread, I really appreciate it and am glad I don't need to take any further action :)

Glad you got sorted. :) Sad to see that the explanation was so poor at the end, hopefully they'll invest in some internal social media training so this kind of thing doesn't happen again.

Glad you got sorted. :) Sad to see that the explanation was so poor at the end, hopefully they'll invest in some internal social media training so this kind of thing doesn't happen again.

Yeah it's a shame but I'll take the offer of a prize as some acceptance of fault! Maybe they read through this thread and realised we'd already debunked all possible explanations :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭magicray

Delighted for you piratequeen, thats a great update

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Well done! Delighted for you. I hadn't commented on the thread but had been reading it. Great outcome, and well done for persisting until you got the message through to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Yeah it's a shame but I'll take the offer of a prize as some acceptance of fault! Maybe they read through this thread and realised we'd already debunked all possible explanations :pac:

Delighted for you!! :)

It's so disappointing that the first response from everyone you complain to these days is to chance their arm with some bull story and see if you'll buy it. I have so much more respect for people and organisations who'll just say "yes my fault, I apologise" rather than for those you have to badger for the truth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If this thread were a Facebook post, it would be way through the roof in terms of engagement :)

A big thanks to all who contributed. I'll probably close off this thread in the next day or so, unless anyone has any objections.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Delighted you got the result that you deserved OP.You kept your cool and dignity throughout and that really stood to you.Enjoy your gift and mine's a coffee and walnut cake if you're offering...ðŸ˜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Great news!
    ....... wrote: »
    +1

superthumb.jpg

dudara wrote: »
    If this thread were a Facebook post, it would be way through the roof in terms of engagement :)

A big thanks to all who contributed. I'll probably close off this thread in the next day or so, unless anyone has any objections.

Fine by me, if anyone wants to follow my baking when I get my KitchenAid I'll be over in the baking thread :D
    rubadub wrote: »
    Great news!

+1

superthumb.jpg

Hahaha yes, it seems the naysayers have curiously gone quiet in this thread...hope everyone has learned that it's always worth speaking up when you think something's not right...and that I never back down from an argument when the facts are on my side :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭irishmoss

Very pleased to update and say I've just got off the phone with the PR company, and they've agreed to offer me a KitchenAid in my choice of colour!

)

Delighted, well done for persisting!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Congratulations Pirate Queen, delighted for you.

I love people who stand up for what they believe, especially in the face of criticism and walls of silence.

And well done on keeping dignified. Woohooo cupcakes on you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Hi all,

I was recently a contestant in a Facebook competition which had a reasonably valuable prize associated with it. The winner was supposed to be chosen on the basis of the 'most likes' at the end of the competition. I have screenshots from multiple sources showing my entry had the most likes at the end of the competition, yet they picked another entry as the winner. I complained to the company running the competition and they told me blatant lies about some likes being 'private' and only visible to them, which I have found evidence from Facebook's privacy policy that this is not possible.

The company are refusing to engage with me over this even though it's obvious they've breached the terms and conditions of the competition (these were published on their page).

Is there any body in Ireland that deals with complaints over unfair competitions? I'm more angry about them lying to me than not winning the competition at this stage so I'm not going to let it go!

Would you ever grow up ffs! Go out and get a life!!!

I'll run a boardsies discount on cake orders :P

• Advertisement

Nah, went out and got a KitchenAid instead :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,440 ✭✭✭✭L1011

This kind of post is not acceptable here.

I feel this thread has run its course now - the OP has their mixer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Nah, went out and got a KitchenAid instead :pac:

Well done! You went out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,440 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Well done! You went out!

Do not post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Just wanted to say well done PQ, before that nasty mod closes the thread (joke, L1011, joke!! :D)

I'm with you on the whole following it through for the principle of the matter, and it's a real bonus that you got a mixer too! Congrats :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,141 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Amazing. Well done pq

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Closing now as per my earlier note.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement