Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin North Quays - now double bus lane

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

If I'd remembered about the changes this morning I would have kept an eye out for how the traffic flowed. It'll be interesting to see what tomorrow is like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭alane20

Avada wrote:
    Probably not. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Dublin City Centre needs automatic enforcement of bus lanes, yellow boxes and red lights (starting at luas junctions) using ANPR cameras. These could also be used to enforce tax, nct and insurance.

The Rosie Hackett bridge is a classic case of this, the box junction is always blocked and when luas starts going across it will be worse, box junction cameras would pay for themselves in no time

• Registered Users Posts: 10 sigmaxus

Went through Ormond Quay to Bachelor's Walk on Sunday and thought the bus lane was only operational Mon-Sat...so found it strange that I was waiting at the bus-only traffic lights!

So can anyone confirm: the bus lanes are Mon-Sat (7am-7pm) along Ormond Quay and changes to a permanent bus lane at Bachelor's Walk, after the left turn onto Jervis Street?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Flew along the south quays. Traffic for private cars was fairly heavy. They could do with a dedicated cycle lane on Eden key buses would flow even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Well, according to this headline from the Times, 'commuters' encountered long delays. It's only by clicking through to the story that we learn that they really mean 'motorists'.
    I guess we know which mode of transport the majority of Times staffers take to work...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/dublin-commuters-report-long-delays-as-new-car-restrictions-put-in-place-1.3193218

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

begbysback wrote: »
    Lanes seem to be marked well enough, and they are self explanatory - though having said that, the amount of drivers driving on, or over lane lines around the city is pretty astonishing - but still, more of an education problem imo

There are no "New" road marking or signage involved in this.

All the measures are fully covered in the Rules of the Road and every licenced Driver has signed a declaration of their familiarity wth them.

What IS of serious note,is the VERY apparent lack of Garda input or interest in the developments.

This input has to focus on enforcement from Day 1....constant and visible enforcement,with none of the stopping for a quick chat tactic,which contributes so much to further traffic problems wherever Gardai utilize it.

True or not,the message being clearly sent by the Gardai's absence,is that the force is unwilling or unable,to enforce general traffic regulations.

Once the general motoring public becomes aware of the absent Gardai,they will continue as before,happy that Ireland has'nt changed....Yet !

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Well, according to this headline from the Times, 'commuters' encountered long delays. It's only by clicking through to the story that we learn that they really mean 'motorists'.
    I guess we know which mode of transport the majority of Times staffers take to work...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/dublin-commuters-report-long-delays-as-new-car-restrictions-put-in-place-1.3193218

Is it me, or does the picture accompanying that article show a car in the bus lane? Which would be ironic given the picture is captioned "Vehicles keep to one lane.." :D

image.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,668 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

LXFlyer wrote: »
    It needs to be 24 hours east of Grattan Bridge at the very least, if not the entire Quays.

Unless we are getting a 24 hour bus service soon I would hope we dont see any more of these 24 hour bus lanes, they serve no purpose when the bus service finishes up for the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Unless we are getting a 24 hour bus service soon I would hope we dont see any more of these 24 hour bus lanes, they serve no purpose when the bus service finishes up for the night.

Bus lanes do not exist solely for use by Dublin Bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭thomasj

Muahahaha wrote:

Unless you want to pay 50 euro on a taxi fare that should cost only 20! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

AlekSmart wrote: »
    There are no "New" road marking or signage involved in this.

All the measures are fully covered in the Rules of the Road and every licenced Driver has signed a declaration of their familiarity wth them.

What IS of serious note,is the VERY apparent lack of Garda input or interest in the developments.

This input has to focus on enforcement from Day 1....constant and visible enforcement,with none of the stopping for a quick chat tactic,which contributes so much to further traffic problems wherever Gardai utilize it.

True or not,the message being clearly sent by the Gardai's absence,is that the force is unwilling or unable,to enforce general traffic regulations.

Once the general motoring public becomes aware of the absent Gardai,they will continue as before,happy that Ireland has'nt changed....Yet !

See the quote from the Irish Times article above :

A Garda spokesman said traffic management was not a matter for An Garda Síochána. “These traffic management measures speak for themselves. The regulation and management of traffic is not a Garda matter, it’s a matter for the local authority.”

Excellent buck-passing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

MrMorooka wrote: »
    Excellent buck-passing.

Maybe somebody should show that 'spokesman' the road traffic act...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

I guess we know which mode of transport the majority of Times staffers take to work]

It would be great if the posters on here who commuted by bus on quays today and encountered fewer delays would write to IT and tell them so. It would counter all those other unfortunate commuters! Mind you, I think you're bluffing and the buses were all empty as Olivia Kelly's video only shows her talking to motorists!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

It would counter all those other unfortunate commuters! Mind you, I think you're bluffing and the buses were all empty as Olivia Kelly's video only shows her talking to motorists!

I love the way she says in her videos "the luas people" who the fcuk are 'the luas people' some ancient tribe of luas worshippers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭Alkers

NuMarvel wrote:
    Is it me, or does the picture accompanying that article show a car in the bus lane? Which would be ironic given the picture is captioned "Vehicles keep to one lane.."

That sections had a bus lane on the nearside and offside with a central traffic lane, the cars are correct.

Since there is not much traffic during the night. I don't see how 24 hour bus lanes cause any issues to people. Should we let people drive on railway tracks aswell when trains aren't running?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭mullyboyee

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Since there is not much traffic during the night. I don't see how 24 hour bus lanes cause any issues to people. Should we let people drive on railway tracks aswell when trains aren't running?

As an aside about a month ago I saw someone drive a Land Rover across the Luas bridge from Heuston to Parkgate street. There really is no accounting for the intelligence of the average Irish motorist.

Back on track, my bus navigated the quays about 10 minutes quicker than usually this morning. That was the latest possible Xpresso service too, so there may be even greater times cut off the earlier buses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,668 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Stephen15 wrote: »

So if there is little traffic at night how would allowing cars to use them make any sort of difference? Cars are allowed use most bus lanes after 7pm as it is now so I dont see why there would be a problem after midnight when there clearly isnt one after 7pm right now.

So if there is little traffic at night how would allowing cars to use them make any sort of difference? Cars are allowed use most bus lanes after 7pm as it is now so I dont see why there would be a problem after midnight when there clearly isnt one after 7pm right now.

So what difference does it make whether you're allowed use them or not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

No complaints here; Commute that took 50mins 2 weeks ago took 30mins today.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Traffic seems to have been nudged elsewhere from the quays. My commute from Clondalkin to Dublin via Crumlin road was the worst this morning in a very long time. Traffic from top of St Lukes up past Kevins street was at a standstill. Sometimes it can be bad but I've never seen it that bad.

I got fed up waiting on the bus an asked to get off so I walked onwards to the coombe and towards Kevin St. Francis St had almost a full street lined with cars.

My commute that normally takes about 30-40mins (at worst) took over 50 minutes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Traffic seems to have been nudged elsewhere from the quays. My commute from Clondalkin to Dublin via Crumlin road was the worst this morning in a very long time.
    big tailbacks on the M50, five car collision.
    i suspect your experience was not helped by a spillover effect from this.

I get the 37 and it was slower than usual yesterday, about average today. So I'm not really seeing the benefit tbh.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

big tailbacks on the M50, five car collision.
    i suspect your experience was not helped by a spillover effect from this.

Didn't see that, thanks. I'll keep my reservations about the changes so :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

Big improvement on the 39/70 so thumbs up from me!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Flying Fox wrote: »
    I get the 37 and it was slower than usual yesterday, about average today.
    slower approaching the quays, and/or slower on the quays?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Simona1986 wrote: »
    That sections had a bus lane on the nearside and offside with a central traffic lane, the cars are correct.

I meant in the background, between the bus and the lights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭ Natalia Scruffy Shortbread

Cycled down the quays today and buses seemed to be moving much better, obviously there's a big clog up for cars where the lanes merge but the bus lanes certainly flowing better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Traffic on the Lucan road was insane getting out at Woodies. But then I had no idea there was a crash in the M50.

Bus flew when it got a run after Liffey Valley. I dozed for most of the journey so not sure exactly how quickly I got through. But seemed quick.

• Advertisement

Cycled down the quays today and buses seemed to be moving much better, obviously there's a big clog up for cars where the lanes merge but the bus lanes certainly flowing better.

Actually I came in in a car today and it was the most relaxed journey I've ever had, everything moving along steadily and the stress of dealing with moron lane jumpers who think they can save time was completely eradicated.

Advertisement