Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin North Quays - now double bus lane

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Anyone commute on the Quays this morning? How was traffic flow?

Interested to hear.

Livedrive reporting that it's not as bad as expected. Still early days though, next week will be the big test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

On the 9 a bus not directly affected by the but given its a wet day noticed an improvement. College Green was empty.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

That's pretty good feedback for what I expected to be a Day one myriad of disaster and confusion. I'll be on the quays at rush hour this evening heading westways so for once I'm looking forward to seeing how long my trip home takes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,444 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I do some volunteering on Sundays which requires driving the North Quays 3 times. The biggest issue i saw was cars just driving straight as such and not following the layout of the road, including just straight over hatched markings.

There needs to be a campaign run in Dublin media to educate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

I do some volunteering on Sundays which requires driving the North Quays 3 times. The biggest issue i saw was cars just driving straight as such and not following the layout of the road, including just straight over hatched markings.

Seen that myself.

It is a bit complicated for most though.

I would suggest maybe those flexible bollards to funnel people into the correct place.

I noticed bollards in place on O Connell street to segregate the cycle lane over the weekend. Is that new?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

brokenarms wrote: »
    Seen that myself.

It is a bit complicated for most though.

I would suggest maybe those flexible bollards to funnel people into the correct place.

I noticed bollards in place on O Connell street to segregate the cycle lane over the weekend. Is that new?

No, but they were removed for a while during the LUAS works. They were reinstalled in the last week or so I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,975 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Yesterday was day 1 - there is going to be a familiarisation period.

However the signage is not helping.

The bus lanes east of Liffey St are all signed as being operational Mon-Sat 07:00 to 19:00 and the bus lane on Bachelor's Walk says Monday to Sunday 24 hours.

Do they seriously expect traffic to move out at the Ha'penny bridge??

It needs to be 24 hours east of Grattan Bridge at the very least, if not the entire Quays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

Today is one of the 2 days a month where I have to drive into the city for work, am on the 9 normally. I turn onto Ormond Quay from Capel street as I park the car on north lotts. The traffic was moving better than normal and the new lights seem to be working well. The bus has plenty of space to cross from left to right to get to the bridge. One thing I did see that worried me was a lot of cyclists were ignoring the red light for the bus lane and going through at speed but this could bring them directly into the path of cars moving from the right to the left lane just after the lights. I can see a few close calls there but apart from that it looked good. The busses were flying up the Quays and could just pull out once the door was closed. Delivery vans were causing a few problems, not sure what the solution will be there. And of course I did not see a single guard there stopping the few drivers who were using the bus lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

I was on 39A, it flew down the quays. A journey which usually takes 35 - 40 mins took 15 mins this morning.

Great, so you can arrive too early at the stop on Bachelor's Walk and have to wait 10 minutes for the next bus driver to arrive :D

MrMorooka wrote: »
    Great, so you can arrive too early at the stop on Bachelor's Walk and have to wait 10 minutes for the next bus driver to arrive :D

Well hopefully the effects will be positive and new rosters will need to be drawn up that see the buses doing more journeys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

A cycle daily and welcome the south quays realignment. Much safer for cyclists, we're now just competing with buses, rather than buses, cars, trucks. There's still not enough room for a bus to pass me safely, so it'll have to be center lane. I'm moving at the limit anyway (30km/hr).

It's be nicee to see the alignment extend to the Guinness brewery where you';re trying to get to Park Gate Street. Probably the sketchiest part of my commute. Not too bad in heavy traffic, because it's generally moving slow. But they amount of space cadets who gun it down there outside of the bus lane operating hours is pretty scary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Deedsie wrote: »
    It's raining, no chance you will see AGS outside today.

Would be a bit unfair to fine motorists before getting used to the new layout - I'd imagine a lot could go to court and plead ignorance, good decision to give motorists a break for the moment imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

Today is one of the 2 days a month where I have to drive into the city for work, am on the 9 normally. I turn onto Ormond Quay from Capel street as I park the car on north lotts. The traffic was moving better than normal and the new lights seem to be working well. The bus has plenty of space to cross from left to right to get to the bridge. One thing I did see that worried me was a lot of cyclists were ignoring the red light for the bus lane and going through at speed but this could bring them directly into the path of cars moving from the right to the left lane just after the lights. I can see a few close calls there but apart from that it looked good. The busses were flying up the Quays and could just pull out once the door was closed. Delivery vans were causing a few problems, not sure what the solution will be there. And of course I did not see a single guard there stopping the few drivers who were using the bus lane.

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought there was a bypass lane for cyclists to the left of the light, so they're not breaking the red? Regardless the vehicle changing lane should check mirrors as usual before doing so.

begbysback wrote: »
    Would be a bit unfair to fine motorists before getting used to the new layout - I'd imagine a lot could go to court and plead ignorance, good decision to give motorists a break for the moment imo

At this early stage, the Gardaí wouldn't need to fine motorists, just redirect them into the correct lanes, like they used to do for traffic at the College Green Bus Gate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,444 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Or not issuing FCPN, every time a Guard stops you they don't have to fine you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭ellobee

I was on 39A, it flew down the quays. A journey which usually takes 35 - 40 mins took 15 mins this morning.

Now admittedly it's August, but there's still a massive difference. I'd say the journey will take 20 mins or so once September hits.

I dread to think what it will be like in December when the luas starts 2 weeks before christmas, I presume the luas will have priority crossing o'connel bridge, anyone know how many trams per hour will cross the bridge during peak times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Deedsie wrote: »
    No reason AGS cant be out there doing an educational information campaign this week. No fines, just highlighting the new layout.

Only thing stopping AGS... Ta se ag cur baisti

Lanes seem to be marked well enough, and they are self explanatory - though having said that, the amount of drivers driving on, or over lane lines around the city is pretty astonishing - but still, more of an education problem imo

ellobee wrote: »
    I dread to think what it will be like in December when the luas starts 2 weeks before christmas, I presume the luas will have priority crossing o'connel bridge, anyone know how many trams per hour will cross the bridge during peak times.

The LUAS will start running well in advance of December.

Testing and running shadow schedules will be happening over the next three months before they enter public service in December, so whatever issues arise (and I expect issues to arise) will be found long before the December start date.

There will be up to 20 trams an hour crossing O'Connell Bridge and up to 20 trams an hour crossing Rosie Hackett Bridge.

stop wrote: »
    Maybe I'm wrong but I thought there was a bypass lane for cyclists to the left of the light, so they're not breaking the red? Regardless the vehicle changing lane should check mirrors as usual before doing so.

Correct - the red light applies only to buses at the bus gate on Bachelors Walk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Phil.x

ellobee wrote: »

One luas every 3mins

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

brokenarms wrote: »
    I did not see anything with regards 24hr in the Busconnects plan. Is it even on the cards?

Tbh I don't personally see the need for 24h service but maybe some services running later than just 23:30. Perhaps run certain routes until 1 or 2 in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I heard a luas bell in hawkins street on friday so testing has started ahead of schedule

How will the busses manage to get across the luas line with one every 3 minutes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I suspect they will wait until traffic is properly back at the start of September.

Was on the bus this morning and the difference was incredible. Looking forward now to cycling to see how that compares. In one sense it will be more risky with buses pulling out as opposed to the previous basically filtering through largely stationary traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

How will the busses manage to get across the luas line with one every 3 minutes?

How long will the lights remain red on Bachelors Walk for a Northbound Luas to pass?

Same question for eastbound traffic on Eden Quay stopped at Marlborough St.

Similar questions for the South Quays and westbound traffic.

Given the peak time frequency, will north/southbound trams be held short of the quays to allow sequenced crossings in order to minimise the number of times east/west traffic has to stop for them?

And just to add to the comments about this morning, I also flew in along the North Quays this morning on the bus as far as my stop at Ormond Quay. Walked the rest of the quays and the bus lanes were being well observed by drivers in fairness. Except for the one white van that took the bus lane and ran the red bus only light at Bachelors walk before pulling back into the general traffic lane!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

DCC Traffic have tweeted there was a 40% reduction in journey time for buses through Bachelors Walk this morning.

https://twitter.com/DCCTraffic/status/899591424030765056

IE 222 wrote: »
    Buses will move more freely on the quays but they will be delayed longer getting ONTO the quays especially any North or south travelling routes . Really just shifting the problem from one area to another imo. Buses don't suit everbodies travel needs there will always be a requirement for private cars.

Of course there will be a requirement for private cars. I hope your is particularly nice as you'll be ever increasing amounts of time in it

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    How long will the lights remain red on Bachelors Walk for a Northbound Luas to pass?

Same question for eastbound traffic on Eden Quay stopped at Marlborough St.

Similar questions for the South Quays and westbound traffic.

Given the peak time frequency, will north/southbound trams be held short of the quays to allow sequenced crossings in order to minimise the number of times east/west traffic has to stop for them?

And just to add to the comments about this morning, I also flew in along the North Quays this morning on the bus as far as my stop at Ormond Quay. Walked the rest of the quays and the bus lanes were being well observed by drivers in fairness. Except for the one white van that took the bus lane and ran the red bus only light at Bachelors walk before pulling back into the general traffic lane!

I imagine that the lights will all be sequenced, given that the lights for the Red Line has to be sequenced crossing O'Connell Street to avoid backlogs of buses and traffic.

Time taken remains to be seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

DCC Traffic have tweeted there was a 40% reduction in journey time for buses through Bachelors Walk this morning.

https://twitter.com/DCCTraffic/status/899591424030765056

It certainly was for me anyways. I was delighted this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

Tigger99 wrote: »
    It certainly was for me anyways. I was delighted this morning.

I am surprised it was only 40% quicker. It's the first time I have ever been at that end of the quays and not seen loads of buses trying to get out.

I know it's only been running one day but could it be that the DCC have got something right on the first try :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I am surprised it was only 40% quicker. It's the first time I have ever been at that end of the quays and not seen loads of buses trying to get out.

I know it's only been running one day but could it be that the DCC have got something right on the first try :eek:

Certainly hope so and it is long overdue for the bus commuter on that stretch.

Remains to be seen if it will remain "good" when LUAS starts operating though. That will be the test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

If I'd remembered about the changes this morning I would have kept an eye out for how the traffic flowed. It'll be interesting to see what tomorrow is like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭alane20

Avada wrote:
    Probably not. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Dublin City Centre needs automatic enforcement of bus lanes, yellow boxes and red lights (starting at luas junctions) using ANPR cameras. These could also be used to enforce tax, nct and insurance.

The Rosie Hackett bridge is a classic case of this, the box junction is always blocked and when luas starts going across it will be worse, box junction cameras would pay for themselves in no time

• Registered Users Posts: 10 sigmaxus

Went through Ormond Quay to Bachelor's Walk on Sunday and thought the bus lane was only operational Mon-Sat...so found it strange that I was waiting at the bus-only traffic lights!

So can anyone confirm: the bus lanes are Mon-Sat (7am-7pm) along Ormond Quay and changes to a permanent bus lane at Bachelor's Walk, after the left turn onto Jervis Street?

Flew along the south quays. Traffic for private cars was fairly heavy. They could do with a dedicated cycle lane on Eden key buses would flow even better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,170 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Well, according to this headline from the Times, 'commuters' encountered long delays. It's only by clicking through to the story that we learn that they really mean 'motorists'.
    I guess we know which mode of transport the majority of Times staffers take to work...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/dublin-commuters-report-long-delays-as-new-car-restrictions-put-in-place-1.3193218

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Lanes seem to be marked well enough, and they are self explanatory - though having said that, the amount of drivers driving on, or over lane lines around the city is pretty astonishing - but still, more of an education problem imo

There are no "New" road marking or signage involved in this.

All the measures are fully covered in the Rules of the Road and every licenced Driver has signed a declaration of their familiarity wth them.

What IS of serious note,is the VERY apparent lack of Garda input or interest in the developments.

This input has to focus on enforcement from Day 1....constant and visible enforcement,with none of the stopping for a quick chat tactic,which contributes so much to further traffic problems wherever Gardai utilize it.

True or not,the message being clearly sent by the Gardai's absence,is that the force is unwilling or unable,to enforce general traffic regulations.

Once the general motoring public becomes aware of the absent Gardai,they will continue as before,happy that Ireland has'nt changed....Yet !

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Well, according to this headline from the Times, 'commuters' encountered long delays. It's only by clicking through to the story that we learn that they really mean 'motorists'.
    I guess we know which mode of transport the majority of Times staffers take to work...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/dublin-commuters-report-long-delays-as-new-car-restrictions-put-in-place-1.3193218

Is it me, or does the picture accompanying that article show a car in the bus lane? Which would be ironic given the picture is captioned "Vehicles keep to one lane.." :D

image.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

LXFlyer wrote: »
    It needs to be 24 hours east of Grattan Bridge at the very least, if not the entire Quays.

Unless we are getting a 24 hour bus service soon I would hope we dont see any more of these 24 hour bus lanes, they serve no purpose when the bus service finishes up for the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Unless we are getting a 24 hour bus service soon I would hope we dont see any more of these 24 hour bus lanes, they serve no purpose when the bus service finishes up for the night.

Bus lanes do not exist solely for use by Dublin Bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭thomasj

Muahahaha wrote:

Unless you want to pay 50 euro on a taxi fare that should cost only 20! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

AlekSmart wrote: »
    There are no "New" road marking or signage involved in this.

All the measures are fully covered in the Rules of the Road and every licenced Driver has signed a declaration of their familiarity wth them.

What IS of serious note,is the VERY apparent lack of Garda input or interest in the developments.

This input has to focus on enforcement from Day 1....constant and visible enforcement,with none of the stopping for a quick chat tactic,which contributes so much to further traffic problems wherever Gardai utilize it.

True or not,the message being clearly sent by the Gardai's absence,is that the force is unwilling or unable,to enforce general traffic regulations.

Once the general motoring public becomes aware of the absent Gardai,they will continue as before,happy that Ireland has'nt changed....Yet !

See the quote from the Irish Times article above :

A Garda spokesman said traffic management was not a matter for An Garda Síochána. “These traffic management measures speak for themselves. The regulation and management of traffic is not a Garda matter, it’s a matter for the local authority.”

Excellent buck-passing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

MrMorooka wrote: »
    Excellent buck-passing.

Maybe somebody should show that 'spokesman' the road traffic act...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

I guess we know which mode of transport the majority of Times staffers take to work]

It would be great if the posters on here who commuted by bus on quays today and encountered fewer delays would write to IT and tell them so. It would counter all those other unfortunate commuters! Mind you, I think you're bluffing and the buses were all empty as Olivia Kelly's video only shows her talking to motorists!

It would counter all those other unfortunate commuters! Mind you, I think you're bluffing and the buses were all empty as Olivia Kelly's video only shows her talking to motorists!

I love the way she says in her videos "the luas people" who the fcuk are 'the luas people' some ancient tribe of luas worshippers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

NuMarvel wrote:
    Is it me, or does the picture accompanying that article show a car in the bus lane? Which would be ironic given the picture is captioned "Vehicles keep to one lane.."

That sections had a bus lane on the nearside and offside with a central traffic lane, the cars are correct.

Since there is not much traffic during the night. I don't see how 24 hour bus lanes cause any issues to people. Should we let people drive on railway tracks aswell when trains aren't running?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭mullyboyee

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Since there is not much traffic during the night. I don't see how 24 hour bus lanes cause any issues to people. Should we let people drive on railway tracks aswell when trains aren't running?

As an aside about a month ago I saw someone drive a Land Rover across the Luas bridge from Heuston to Parkgate street. There really is no accounting for the intelligence of the average Irish motorist.

Back on track, my bus navigated the quays about 10 minutes quicker than usually this morning. That was the latest possible Xpresso service too, so there may be even greater times cut off the earlier buses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Stephen15 wrote: »

So if there is little traffic at night how would allowing cars to use them make any sort of difference? Cars are allowed use most bus lanes after 7pm as it is now so I dont see why there would be a problem after midnight when there clearly isnt one after 7pm right now.

So if there is little traffic at night how would allowing cars to use them make any sort of difference? Cars are allowed use most bus lanes after 7pm as it is now so I dont see why there would be a problem after midnight when there clearly isnt one after 7pm right now.

So what difference does it make whether you're allowed use them or not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

No complaints here; Commute that took 50mins 2 weeks ago took 30mins today.

• Advertisement
Advertisement