Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to re-connect the electricity

Options
  • 10-08-2017 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Recently bought a house without electricity. Initially we are expecting to moving in by next Monday. It now seems dreadful to move in a house with no electricity. I just called Electric Ireland and they were asking for proof of ownership. Currently we did not get the deeds yet even though the vendor has already signed all documents. Does anyone know if there is something else we can prove we are the new owner and if there is anyway we can push the process of re connection faster、

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

cathalsmom wrote: »
    Recently bought a house without electricity. Initially we are expecting to moving in by next Monday. It now seems dreadful to move in a house with no electricity. I just called Electric Ireland and they were asking for proof of ownership. Currently we did not get the deeds yet even though the vendor has already signed all documents. Does anyone know if there is something else we can prove we are the new owner and if there is anyway we can push the process of re connection faster、

Thanks.

Have you any correspondence from your solicitor that confirms that you have purchased the property in question?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 cathalsmom

Thanks. My solicitor told me he should have the deed by next week and other than that there was no proof.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Perhaps you can get a letter from the bank before then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Cerco

You don't need the deeds to prove ownership in this case, indeed most people will not have them until their mortgage is paid.

You solicitor must already have signed copies of the contracts, otherwise you would not have possession of the property. Contracts are exchanged, between the solicitors, before the final payments and keys are transferred.

As suggested your solicitor or your bank/mortgage provider should be able to assist you.
    They may also accept a copy of your home insurance policy as proof.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

Bought a house last year. Had been disconnected as was vacant. It was pushing 2 years vacant and the fees for reconnection after that time Is madness so I was eager to get it reconnected before the 2 year deadline passed. I don't think the house was even officially ours when we had it reconnected. I had to drop the keys back to estate agent when it was done. Just a matter of ringing the esb to sort reconnection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Just did same today...
    Signed up for gas and elec. Elec was previously disconnected (or "de-energised" as they say)
    They (electric ireland) didn't ask for proof of ownership.
    Did everything over the phone.

All i'm waiting on now is an engineer from ESB networks to arrange to come out and re-connect.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 cathalsmom

Had the electricity reconnected by choosing different supplier rather to stick on Electric Ireland. Eventually sorted out the problem.

Advertisement