Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving for deposit while living abroad

Options
  • 10-08-2017 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

First up, my stats - I'm 31, single, earn 60k, first time buyer.

I am very lucky in that I work 100% remotely. I have almost saved for a house deposit and would like to bump up my savings for the next few months til I get there.
    I am hoping to move to Budapest for a few months, or somewhere else with a much lower cost of living, to help me ramp up my savings. I'd only be there a few months (keeping my Irish tax residency). As such, I don't want to properly move into a place and have to sign any apartment leases or Wifi contracts or the like, the plan is to get an Airbnb every month.

Questions:
    1. Would the banks see the Airbnb monthly payments as rent, or at least appreciate that they are for living accomodation and not a holiday?
    2. I understand that the process is different for non-residents - e.g. higher deposit - but would this affect me if I'm only heading away for a few months? I will be paid in euro, my family ties are all in Ireland, and I'll be keeping my tax residency.

Advertisement