Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing out short/pixie hair

Options
  • 10-08-2017 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭

Okay guys, after another disastrous cut and coming home in tears yesterday I've started to think that I have no option but to let my hair grow because I can't find a hairdresser who is willing to listen to me and do what I want and not what they think.
    I've had it short for about 10 years now and for about 8 of those 10, had a fantastic hairdresser who I was always happy with.
    Unfortunately she's not available anymore and in the last couple of years I've tried about 4 different hairdressers and haven't been happy with any of them.
    After another disaster I'm seriously beginning to think my only option is to grow it, so I'm wondering if anyone has grown theirs out from short before and roughly how long it took to get to say, bob length?
    I know it's going to be hell, but I'm sick of wasting money and ending up upset every time I have it cut.
    I know how trivial and 'first world problems' that might sound to some, but I've had too many bad experiences and just have enough at this stage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I haven't had my hair cut by a hairdresser in 8 years for this exact reason, they just cannot do what ye ask.
    I started growing my shoulder length hair 3 years ago and its now just hanging about 2 inches under my boobs. It could take a year for it to grow past your shoulders if its very short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I don't know how short your hair is. I had really short (half an inch) hair a few times and then grew them to about shoulder blade length. I never grow hair quickly, I regularly trim ends and get some shape into hair when growing it. I just adapt haircuts to hair length. It usually takes me a year to get a decent bob shape with about 6 visits to hairdresser per year. Sometimes it's just for color but most times I would trim ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I always show pics as well if going for a new haircut and I've been going to the same hairdresser for 15 years. She says she loves when people bring pics because there is no ambiguity.

I used to have really short hair and it is a pain to grow it out but regular trims is a must in my opinion to keep a shape to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

At the moment it's longer on one side and shorter/shaved a bit on the other so it's going to be an utter pain to grow out. It has so many different lengths in it.

@bee06, I've taken pictures in before including photos of MYSELF with how it used to look a couple of years ago and they still couldn't do it, despite my going "I want it to look like this again"

@AiryFairy12, I'm glad I'm not the only one! I've seriously come to the conclusion that they're going to do what they want anyway and that I'm just wasting my time telling them what I want. They just don't want to listen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Just grow it to something like this:

15d37493659ca3ae75313ebb261bb9d4--short-i-short-hair-dos.jpg

And then to asymmetric bob and after that you can cut both sides to the same length.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

@bee06, I've taken pictures in before including photos of MYSELF with how it used to look a couple of years ago and they still couldn't do it, despite my going "I want it to look like this again"

That's crazy! Very frustrating.

Love that haircut meeeeh posted though. I'd be tempted by that myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

How do you choose your hairdresser? What research do you undertake before you book in? Word of mouth is the best recommendation.

Most high street hairdressers only do relatively basic cutting training and can be limited with what they can offer. Some attend regular refresher training and consequently, are far more skilled at cutting.
    Usually, (but not always) this is reflected in the prices charged.

I completed my city & guilds levels 2&3 at college but then went to London and completed additional (v.expensive £1k plus) training at the Sassoon Academy to ensure that my skills are the best they can be. However, I'm not cheap even though I work from home. Also, I don't advertise as all my clients come via word of mouth recommendations.

So if you want a highly skilled and experienced hairdresser, you have to be prepared to search them out and also pay a fair price.

I agree with others about taking pictures along although I use my iPad during a (lengthy initial) consultation to help me understand exactly what my clients want.

Advertisement