Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of refelting roof

Options
  • 10-08-2017 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi All,

New to the forum and was hoping to get some advice / estimate pricing. I am looking at re-felting a flat roof kitchen. The roof is approx. 10ft by 25ft.

I have been told that to re-felt, the new felt can be simply placed down on top of the existing felt. Would anyone have an estimate cost to do this job?

Also there is no insulation in the kitchen roof so I was thinking of putting in some insulation. The beams are exposed in the kitchen and it looks like a good feature. Is there an option to insulate on the outside and felt over this insulation? Any idea of the cost of that?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Assuming there is no ventilation gap below the existing roof finish. You could install insulation and then bitumen or fibre glass etc above.

Quotes in at the moment ~4K for ~34m2 of flat roof for 200mm PIR insulation and 15year warranty 2 layer bitumen system (there is a 150mm parapet and rooflights)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 gaidin35

BryanF wrote: »
    Assuming there is no ventilation gap below the existing roof finish. You could install insulation and then bitumen or fibre glass etc above.

Quotes in at the moment ~4K for ~34m2 of flat roof for 200mm PIR insulation and 15year warranty 2 layer bitumen system (there is a 150mm parapet and rooflights)

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for the response. There doesn't appear to be any ventilation gap. It looks like the current felt is right on top of the beams.

Is the Bitumen system that you included above a liquid substance? So its painted on over the insulation?

If I simply got the roof refelted (no insulation) would you have an estimate cost. I have been given two quotes as of yesterday evening and they are wildly different. Im wondering is the low one too low (700euro) or the high one (2100euro) way too high?

Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

The 2k sounds more like it

You should confirm warranty and ensure the guys are insured etc

For whatever you go with, You should see a cert similar to the Below.
    Make sure guys are pricing like for like

I think when you say 'felt' and I say 'bitumen' layer we are referring to a similar thing

This is the product I'm specifying at the moment
    http://www.bbacerts.co.uk/CertificateFiles/46/4688PS1i3.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 9 gaidin35

BryanF wrote: »
    The 2k sounds more like it

You should confirm warranty and ensure the guys are insured etc

For whatever you go with, You should see a cert similar to the Below.
    Make sure guys are pricing like for like

I think when you say 'felt' and I say 'bitumen' layer we are referring to a similar thing

Thanks Bryan, ill look into the warranty and the insurance. Im wondering if the first guy is quoting for a torch-on felt and the 2nd guy for a higher quality material?

Thanks again.

Advertisement