Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IVF - how old is too old?

Options
  • 10-08-2017 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

I'm 45, have had two miscarriages in the last year. My second pregnancy, I knew at 4 weeks, found out at 9 weeks that heart had stopped and had a D&C at 11 weeks.

I had said 'no' to IVF originally but I had a meeting with my consultant last week where I got the results of my test from the D&C back. Basically, it's my age that causing the problem - baby girl had Trisomy 22 and it's most likely down to the aging of my eggs. I have 3 options: 1. try again naturally & hope that genetic defects don't happen 2. IVF or 3. Donor eggs from someone in their 20's. IVF would give me the best option to have a baby with my genes as they would pick the best of my remaining eggs. But the thoughts of it terrify me and I have felt up to now that I am too old for all that injecting - now, I don't mean that at 45, all women are too old, just that for me, I might find it too much at my age. Lately though, I've been coming around to the idea of doing everything I can to make it happen, apart from the donor eggs.

Is anyone else in the same boat or have you already been through it as an older Mum? What is your opinion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Beautythecat

Hi

Not sure if my other reply posted. Trying again now to be sure.

We have two children - a boy 4 yrs old and a girl who's almost 18 months old. I'm now 51. We did double donor ivf on both children. Please pm me if you want to chat about a very positive experience.
    Good luck in whatever choice you make. There are no wrong choices.
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Meathcat7

Thanks so much for your reply! I'm going to talk it over with hubby first but I know where you are! Thanks again!

Advertisement