If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

46-50" Ultra HD TV

Options
  • 10-08-2017 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Going upgrading to SKY Q in September and looking to purchase a tv to sample the new football season in ultra HD!

Currently have a 5/6 year old Sony KDL 42EX440 which I do find provides a very decent quality HD picture to be fair that I will then move upstairs.

Initially I had been doing a bit of research on 55" models, but when I measured the area where the tv was going to sit, I discovered that it would just barely fit (space is approx. 125cm wide) so had to go back to the drawing board as it would look stupid wedged in there and partially obscured by the curtin!

I had read somewhere before that the noticeable picture improvement of ultra HD over HD on anything less than a 55" is negligible (hoping this isn't the case) so wondering if you could recommend anything in the 46-50 inch range with a quality ultra HD/regular HD picture as well as an easy to use OS for Netflix etc.

Also I've heard reports of some tvs having issues with SKY Q, especially when watching in ultra HD so would also like that taken into consideration.

Cheers!

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

rodders999 wrote: »
    Hi,

Going upgrading to SKY Q in September and looking to purchase a tv to sample the new football season in ultra HD!

Currently have a 5/6 year old Sony KDL 42EX440 which I do find provides a very decent quality HD picture to be fair that I will then move upstairs.

Initially I had been doing a bit of research on 55" models, but when I measured the area where the tv was going to sit, I discovered that it would just barely fit (space is approx. 125cm wide) so had to go back to the drawing board as it would look stupid wedged in there and partially obscured by the curtin!

I had read somewhere before that the noticeable picture improvement of ultra HD over HD on anything less than a 55" is negligible (hoping this isn't the case) so wondering if you could recommend anything in the 46-50 inch range with a quality ultra HD/regular HD picture as well as an easy to use OS for Netflix etc.

Also I've heard reports of some tvs having issues with SKY Q, especially when watching in ultra HD so would also like that taken into consideration.

Cheers!
    Hi Rodders999.

Thanks for the post.

I suppose it depends on your budget as there are many many televisions out there. Ranging from £499 for a 49" Hisense which in Ultra HD to around £1800 for a 49" Samsung QLED.

What sort of budget have you in mind and I'll come up with a few screens for you to look over.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭rodders999

Apologies Kenny, forgot the most important bit.

Budget €1200 approx. but could maybe eek out a bit more coupled with the exchange rate if it meant the a better screen.

Cheers.

Apologies Kenny, forgot the most important bit.

Budget €1200 approx. but could maybe eek out a bit more coupled with the exchange rate if it meant the a better screen.

Cheers.
    Hey Rodders999.

You'll get a cracking TV for that money.

If you wanted to stick with Sony they have the 49XE8004 priced at £799.00 or 999 Euro
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-202480-bravia-kd49xe8004.aspx?swapstore=1

Samsung UE55MU7000 is a fantastic television coming in at £999.00 or 1299.00 Euro
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-202582-ue49mu7000.aspx

Panasonic offer up the 50EX750 priced at £1139 or 1279.00 Euro - (Euro pricing on this makes this a very good deal).
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-202577-viera-tx50ex750b.aspx

You can choose to pay in which ever currency is cheaper as not all Euro pricing is a direct conversion of the sterling.
    If paying in sterling then your bank would work out the conversion.

Let me know if any of the above maybe of interest to you.

Any questions drop me a post.

Thanks for the selections Kenny.

I really like the Samsung but the legs at either side as opposed to the central stand mean it's not going to fit on my unit which narrows towards the back. Silly design really.

While I was researching the models you suggested I knocked across the Sony KD-49XE9005 and the reviews are off the charts. Just wondering what the best price would be on that and what the main differences are between it and the 49XE8004 that you had already recommended?

Thanks again.

Thanks for the selections Kenny.

I really like the Samsung but the legs at either side as opposed to the central stand mean it's not going to fit on my unit which narrows towards the back. Silly design really.

While I was researching the models you suggested I knocked across the Sony KD-49XE9005 and the reviews are off the charts. Just wondering what the best price would be on that and what the main differences are between it and the 49XE8004 that you had already recommended?

Thanks again.
    Hi Rodders999.

There are some major differences between the 2.

The 9005 is 10X faster motion processing. The 8004 is 100 and the 9005 is rated at 1000.
    The 9005 is direct lite which give better contrast.
    The 9005 uses technology that was used in the ZD9.
    Its also nearly double the price coming in at £1249.00. There is very little movement on this price unfortunately but I could squeeze to £1225
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-202503-sony-bravia-kd49xe9005.aspx

Let me know your thoughts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭aristotle25

Do more research on Sky Q, not really a resounding improvement on the "older" sky box and plenty of negative reviews. Plus not much content in UHD from Sky as yet.

Do more research on Sky Q, not really a resounding improvement on the "older" sky box and plenty of negative reviews. Plus not much content in UHD from Sky as yet.
    Hi Aristotle25.

Not something I can really comment on unfortunately.

There is not really very much around in UHD as it is still pretty new formate for television. None of the main providers, Sky, Virgin and BT offer very limited UHD content.
    This will grow over time as did/do HD broadcasts and content.

And I don't mean to put the OP off a purchase of a TV, I bought the 50inch Sony Bravia from yourselves and highly recommend it!

And I don't mean to put the OP off a purchase of a TV, I bought the 50inch Sony Bravia from yourselves and highly recommend it!
    Hey Aristotle25.

Glad you are still enjoying your Sony ;)

No worries! There's so much choice out there - it's an absolute mine field isn't it? Good reviews, bad reviews....information overload.
    What model number did you get?

• Advertisement

Kenny, I'm still leaning towards the 49XE9005 and am going to make a final decision this weekend. I'm hoping to have everything up and running by the week beginning 11th September. When would I need to order by to ensure delivery by then would you think? I live in Cork county.

Kenny, I'm still leaning towards the 49XE9005 and am going to make a final decision this weekend. I'm hoping to have everything up and running by the week beginning 11th September. When would I need to order by to ensure delivery by then would you think? I live in Cork county.
    Hi Rodders999.

You would not be disappointed with the Sony!

Delivery is 3-5 working days provided there is stock. There is currently just over 40 of these left at our main warehouse.

I would say as long as its ordered before the 4th or 5th of September you would have it for the 11th.

No worries! There's so much choice out there - it's an absolute mine field isn't it? Good reviews, bad reviews....information overload.
    What model number did you get?

I got the Bravia KDL50W755C, that was over a year ago so probably not an uptodate model. But it was a good price point (€790) and the picture is excellent. The apps work well too e.g. if you have a Netflix account there is an app on the TV for it.

As with all of these TVs the sound is good but its not brilliant, you might want a soundbar but I never got one. I wouldn't say you really need one but some people like big subwoofers and so on.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment

Aristotle25,

Please take a moment to read the Charter for this forum - I understand that your intention is to be helpful, but queries here are for Richersounds to answer - if everyone pitched in their opinion the forum would cease to function usefully for RS and their customers.

A quick read of the Charter and all should b ecome clear.

Ritz.

Thanks The Ritz.

Took delivery of the Sony KD-49XE9005 earlier in the week and must say I'm blown away by the picture quality. I'm getting Q installed tomorrow and cannot wait to try out the ultra HD football on it.

It's a superb TV, I've watched a few bits in UHD on Netflix and it's beautiful....much thanks to Kenny and the gang at richer sounds for all their help.

Just one question (and apologies if I'd be better off asking in the tech section of the forum) but would you be able to recommend anything in the way of calibration settings for this TV? I've had a gander online and haven't stumbled across much on it.

I am noticing an issue where on occasion some motion seems speeded up on screen. It's not easy to describe but I've noticed it quite a bit at different times - usually when there's some sort of movement on screen).

Was watching Ray Donovan last night and a car pulled up to the gas station and it showed him lifting the pump and putting it in to the car. The car driving in happened at a "normal" pace but the scene showing him lifting the pump and putting it in the car happened super quick - almost sped up like the old Laurel and Hardy movies!

Apologies if this makes zero sense but just wondering if you had any feedback......as you can tell I'm not very techy! 

Took delivery of the Sony KD-49XE9005 earlier in the week and must say I'm blown away by the picture quality. I'm getting Q installed tomorrow and cannot wait to try out the ultra HD football on it.

It's a superb TV, I've watched a few bits in UHD on Netflix and it's beautiful....much thanks to Kenny and the gang at richer sounds for all their help.

Just one question (and apologies if I'd be better off asking in the tech section of the forum) but would you be able to recommend anything in the way of calibration settings for this TV? I've had a gander online and haven't stumbled across much on it.

I am noticing an issue where on occasion some motion seems speeded up on screen. It's not easy to describe but I've noticed it quite a bit at different times - usually when there's some sort of movement on screen).

Was watching Ray Donovan last night and a car pulled up to the gas station and it showed him lifting the pump and putting it in to the car. The car driving in happened at a "normal" pace but the scene showing him lifting the pump and putting it in the car happened super quick - almost sped up like the old Laurel and Hardy movies!

Apologies if this makes zero sense but just wondering if you had any feedback......as you can tell I'm not very techy! 
    Hey Rodders999.

Now that is very very strange..... Not something I've came across that hasn't been a buffering issue when streaming.

Is this while watching normal television or was it being streamed?

It sounds more like a lag issue with the source rather than the TV.

You could it the first instance give Sony tech team a buzz as they would know all the ins and outs.
    We have a number for them for our customers to call 03304402060.

The 9005 really are a cracking television.

I'll do some research see what I can find. Let me know what Sony say.

Thanks for the quick response.

It was a recording on the SKY HD box that I was viewing last night, not sure if I've come across it on live TV yet as 90% of the stuff I watch would be from the planner.

Actually the way you described it is bang on, it's exactly like you're streaming content and it buffers and then you're delivered 6 seconds of TV in 3 seconds - it zips through. I'll keep an eye on it over the weekend, see how it behaves after SKY switch me to Q and contact Sony after if necessary. Initially I thought it may be some setting in the config. that I could calibrate.

Really appreciate the help.....thanks again.

Thanks for the quick response.

It was a recording on the SKY HD box that I was viewing last night, not sure if I've come across it on live TV yet as 90% of the stuff I watch would be from the planner.

Actually the way you described it is bang on, it's exactly like you're streaming content and it buffers and then you're delivered 6 seconds of TV in 3 seconds - it zips through. I'll keep an eye on it over the weekend, see how it behaves after SKY switch me to Q and contact Sony after if necessary. Initially I thought it may be some setting in the config. that I could calibrate.

Really appreciate the help.....thanks again.
    Keep me informed Rodders999.

In the mean time if I come up with anything I'll be in touch.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.