Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit not returned, no reason given

Options
  • 10-08-2017 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Bit stuck, getting frustrated so asking online for advice...

I rented an apartment with a friend through a property management company. We signed a one year lease. The property was old and we had a few issues, but the management company were generally good at sorting it and we had a good relationship with them.

After about 6 months we had two problems: very bad mould, and a rat infestation. The mould damaged walls, clothes, furnishings very quickly despite us ventilating as much as possible (there are no vents in the property). The rat infestation was serious (evidence in multiple rooms, a lot more than one...).

Both of these issues were inspected (arranged by management company), and both inspectors confirmed significant problems and indicated structural faults with the property (no vents, cracks in walls etc).

We cleaned as well as we good, documented everything, and left the place the day after rats were confirmed. I assumed that the situation was severe enough that notice wouldn't need to be given and we'd get deposit back.

The management company told us they wouldn't return our deposit until the landlord had inspected the place himself. Then communication from them slowed down, and now they don't return our emails or calls.

We have been polite and civil during all of this. We've opened a dispute with the PRTB recently but I'm not very familiar with the process, and worried that the management company won't even respond to them!

Could anyone help me make sense of this? How can this company not even provide a reason for holding on to a deposit?

Any advice is very welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

The deposit is held by the landlord not the agent and it's the landlord who must respond to the RTB complaint (even if the agent collected it). Let the RTB process work through and you'll get your deposit back.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

1hsleep wrote: »
    Bit stuck, getting frustrated so asking online for advice...

I rented an apartment with a friend through a property management company. We signed a one year lease. The property was old and we had a few issues, but the management company were generally good at sorting it and we had a good relationship with them.

After about 6 months we had two problems: very bad mould, and a rat infestation. The mould damaged walls, clothes, furnishings very quickly despite us ventilating as much as possible (there are no vents in the property). The rat infestation was serious (evidence in multiple rooms, a lot more than one...).

Both of these issues were inspected (arranged by management company), and both inspectors confirmed significant problems and indicated structural faults with the property (no vents, cracks in walls etc).

We cleaned as well as we good, documented everything, and left the place the day after rats were confirmed. I assumed that the situation was severe enough that notice wouldn't need to be given and we'd get deposit back.

The management company told us they wouldn't return our deposit until the landlord had inspected the place himself. Then communication from them slowed down, and now they don't return our emails or calls.

We have been polite and civil during all of this. We've opened a dispute with the PRTB recently but I'm not very familiar with the process, and worried that the management company won't even respond to them!

Could anyone help me make sense of this? How can this company not even provide a reason for holding on to a deposit?

Any advice is very welcome

Estate agents are useless and will only speak to you when it suits them.

You are only left with the choice of going to the RTB and hoping this is sorted, had you paid your final rent etc on time?
    is there any money owing over to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 1hsleep

Thanks for replies.

We always paid rent on time. Actually paid the last rent only days before we left - this is something we also asked to be returned.

The landlord lives abroad, will the RTB case be able to proceed as normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

Yes they will. If LL lives abroad he can appoint someone.If he doesn't show the case will pretty much by default go in your favour

• Registered Users Posts: 17 1hsleep

Sorry to bring up an old-ish thread...

Is it possible to make contact with the landlord in this situation? Basically, is there any legal entitlement for being able to bypass the property management company?

I don't have any contact details for the landlord but would like to send an email.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

why would you want to do that? if you ahve a problem with the agency take them to the RTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

why would you want to do that? if you ahve a problem with the agency take them to the RTB.
    The LL would have the deposit, so I assume the OP is trying to get get in contact the LL to get said deposit.

Advertisement