Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayweather vs McGregor - Event Thread **MOD WARNING POST 1- DO NOT IGNORE!!**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Going into Round 6 Conor had outlanded Floyd 51-40 in punches according to Compubox.

I'm sure that's true but by midway in round 3 McGregor was gassing and Mayweather was in total control.

As before very few of McGregor's punches were significant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

It' ridiculous that McGregor just went 10 rounds with Mayweather and people here can't even give him an ounce of credit.

You almost seem surprised?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,820 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

user2011 wrote: »
    You can try to come across like a boss you ain't, give fcuking credit to Conor if you don't want to skip on pal.

So.... you're not allowed post in the thread without giving credit to Conor?

I was against the fight from the get go.. I want to to be fighting in MMA, not boxing.

He was completely ruined in a boxing sense. He can now move on with his career a better fighter overall hopefully.. just not a boxer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

It's testament to McGregors outstanding achievement that so many people are making excuses for Mayweather even though he won.

McGregor, Mayweather, the UFC and the sport of MMA were all winners tonight.

Boxings popularity continues its downward trajectory while people who never before paid for a UFC PPV will tune in next time McGregor fights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Can't link to it as I'm on the mobile, but there's a video of a few Irish fans giving Paulie a bit of stick. Paulie goes to confront them and has to be stopped by Schaub. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

It' ridiculous that McGregor just went 10 rounds with Mayweather and people here can't even give him an ounce of credit.

Anyone could go 10 rounds with Mayweather if he decided to go easy on them early and make a match of it.

If anything him going 10 rounds is more a sign of how far off McGregor was as if Mayweather had been really worried about him he'd try and finish it off earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭section4

Oh I'm out, here come the idiots.

is that the guys who predicted correctly who would win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,992 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

After all his trash taking he should be embarrassed not being able to back it up.That would certainly be the case for any other sportsperson who engages in trash talking.

Says the guy trash talking....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Well that was a horrible watch - hopefully Diaz 3 happens end of 2017

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

I'd say a fight with Malignaggi is a possibility.

Who would pay to see that????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

The yank commentators made a lot of Conor not knowing when to cling and play the game when he was obviously tired. He could easily learn that and make it in pro boxing, but why bother. He's already a much better MMA fighter and that's where the money is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

everlast75 wrote: »
    Says the guy trash talking....

Np I'm not, just pointing out the obvious that the whole thing was a farce from the get go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Mayweather let him go 10 rounds. Conor knew in the size difference that Floyd couldn't do him real damage.

Mayweather... ' I owed the fans a show after the Pacquiao fight'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

Yea I noticed that, for a pro athlete he has poor conditioning

But.. But...Mcgregor fast conditioning

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

I'd say a fight with Malignaggi is a possibility.

I hope not, if that fight happens it should be in the octagon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

The biggest joke of all is that Mayweather gets to add that win to his record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Please God no.

MMA only. I just can't listen to Malignaggi anymore or the boxing forum guys.

It was fun to dream but there was delusion in those dreams too. Proud of Conor 100% but let's do Woodley for welterweight strap :pac: He's unbooked, Conor looked drained at 153lbs, I don't trust Khabib and Lee-Ferguson tied up.

Woodley is unbooked because he's going to be out of the octagon for about 5 more money rehabing his shoulder.

Let's do something novel by recent UFC standarda and actually have a champion defend their strap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Cardio is a huge part of boxing and is not an a excuse. McGregor was throwing too heavy in the early rounds and even pacing it as 6 round fight, he didn't have the power nor accuracy to shake Mayweather in any way, even the uppercut that landed on Mayweather early looked awkward as McGregor doesn't punch through the target like boxers, they have different power. He was outclassed simple as.

Does that take anything away from McGregor for me? Not really as that's exactly what I expected, Mayweather's fight iq is on a different level to Conor in boxing and he picked him apart. Conor is still a beast in mma and that hasn't changed in any way.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Right lads..fights over

I made it clear in the first post..no trolling, no back and forth tit for tat..

So anyone coming in to troll expect a ban..those of you going back and forth with nonsense give it a rest or you will get one too.

Discuss the fight and the result but cut the crap

John_D80 wrote: »
    It's testament to McGregors outstanding achievement that so many people are making excuses for Mayweather even though he won.

McGregor, Mayweather, the UFC and the sport of MMA were all winners tonight.

Boxings popularity continues its downward trajectory while people who never before paid for a UFC PPV will tune in next time McGregor fights.

Haha this narrative again . Other than Conor UFC is scewed . we have another ppv seeking over 1.5 million next month . Will UFCs next one sell over 100k ? :)
    Its Conors company

• Advertisement

Official compubox stats:

Landed/Thrown

111/430 Conor. (26%)

He outlanded Pacquiao, Canelo, Berto and they all lasted 12 and had higher %'s.

Before anyone moans about "clean punches" compubox use the same criteria they used for all those other fights.

oh please, he lost the fight but won the money, thats all he cares about

Paully D wrote: »
    You know McGregor has done something right when even boxing fans are bitter in this victory.

haha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭RoryMac

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Very impressed. He was excellent until he began to gas, if he had the cardio it would've forced Mayweather into taking risks and given McGregor a much better chance of catching him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

section4 wrote: »
    is that the guys who predicted correctly who would win

That would mean I was calling myself an idiot, so no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Haha this narrative again . Other than Conor UFC is scewed . we have another ppv seeking over 1.5 million next month . Will UFCs next one sell over 100k ? :)
    Its Conors company

Yes my point exactly.

Boxing doesn't have anyone with anything even remotely close to his drawing power.

As a sport it just doesn't have enough to draw in casual fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

callaway92 wrote: »
    So.... you're not allowed post in the thread without giving credit to Conor?

I was against the fight from the get go.. I want to to be fighting in MMA, not boxing.

He was completely ruined in a boxing sense. He can now move on with his career a better fighter overall hopefully.. just not a boxer.

:confused:

I didn't argue it was miss match, Conor put on more of a fight then seasoned boxer's against arguably TBE.

I think he deserves credit for that. You don't want too give it, fcuk it i don't give a fcuk.

I've just enjoyed one of the best nights watching Conor fighting I got my money's worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭beerpong

The biggest joke of all is that Mayweather gets to add that win to his record.

Absolutely, no way should his record go to 50-0. It was a showpiece against an amateur boxer.
    A walk in the park for Floyd.

John_D80 wrote: »
    Yes my point exactly.

Boxing doesn't have anyone with anything even remotely close to his drawing power.

As a sport it just doesn't have enough to draw in casual fans.

Oh sorry I agree so . He's a huge draw and rightly so . They desperately need him though they are on their knees without him . He holds all their cards .

I'd say boxing is hoping for a canelo win next month . Him and AJ are huge draws

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Official compubox stats:

Landed/Thrown

111/430 Conor. (26%)

He outlanded Pacquiao, Canelo, Berto and they all lasted 12 and had higher %'s.

Before anyone moans about "clean punches" compubox use the same criteria they used for all those other fights.

Celebrating the moral victory eh? a few quotes from a recent post of yours about some other Irish athletes.
    The treatment of Annalise Murphy and the O' Donovans last summer shows where we are as a media and as a nation.

We celebrate losers. We always have and always will.

Conor's a winner. The O' Donovans are losers. Annalise Murphy is a loser

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

I don't think he should ever step in a boxing ring again, conor is a great fighter but he is at too much of a disadvantage in these boxing matches.

Plus the floyd match was special, I don't think it would get the same kind of attention if he was to fight Canelo etc.

I think Canelo would KO him easily

Advertisement