Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fox Rp23 rear shock leaking red oil , service or replace?

Options
  • 10-08-2017 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

Hi ,

The fox Rp23 on my bike has started to gush red oil from behind the blue lever that controls the pro pedal .

I read that this is because this shock is old and the seals eventually die at that point .

It looks like it will cost around €130 to get it fixed according to one of the shops I rang up in Dublin .

I have a few questions if anyone can help ,

1 . Are the cheap rear shocks like suntour and DNM on ebay alright ? they come in new at half the price almost of repairing the fox rp23 .

2.Where is the best place in Ireland to send a suspension shock to get fixed or should I send it to mojo in the Uk ?

3.When measuring a shock I see you need eye to eye and then stroke lenght . Is it ok if the replacement shock is a few mil shorter or longer in stroke lenght?

4. Is it easy to find hardware of different sizes to fit different shocks with different frames ?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Hi ,

The fox Rp23 on my bike has started to gush red oil from behind the blue lever that controls the pro pedal .

I read that this is because this shock is old and the seals eventually die at that point .

It looks like it will cost around €130 to get it fixed according to one of the shops I rang up in Dublin .

1 . Are the cheap rear shocks like suntour and DNM on ebay alright ? they come in new at half the price almost of repairing the fox rp23 .

2.Where is the best place in Ireland to send a suspension shock to get fixed or should I send it to mojo in the Uk ?

3.When measuring a shock I see you need eye to eye and then stroke lenght . Is it ok if the replacement shock is a few mil shorter or longer in stroke lenght?

4. Is it easy to find hardware of different sizes to fit different shocks with different frames ?

Cheers

I was quoted a similar price to fix an old shock. I found a nearly new RP23 on eBay for £100 which did the trick. It was awkward to remove old one from frame mind you, had to remove cranks.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Hi ,

Cheers

Depending on the amount of use it gets, forks / shock should be serviced at least annually to avoid leaks like this. You're right in thinking that the seals go after a while on these things and seals are one thing that are replaced during a service. You might find a bargain on ebay but it depends on what you want for your bike - do you want it running well or just running.
    I would keep it simple if you're replacing it and replace it like for like size wise - don't bother trying to cram a different size shock in there. A service is going to cost about €100 - €120 depending on where you go so €130 to fix this (they will probably just service it) is OK. You could service it yourself with a service kit from FOX and some you tube videos - it's not rocket science.
    I can recommend Expert Cycles in Rathfarnham Village or the Bike Rack in Cabinteely for servicing. 
    If you are buying a second hand one - you have no guarantee / idea when it was last serviced (even with a a receipt from the bike shop) so at least by getting this one fixed - you know it's in good shape for another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

I have done the air sleeve service myself where you unscrew the shock and replace the seals and put float fluid into it but I think the service it needs isn't one that fox supply parts for or give instructions on

Advertisement