Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carbon Monoxide Alarm Query

Options
  • 10-08-2017 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

How many carbon monoxide alarms are required in a bog standard 4 bed semi detached house? There is a gas boiler located in a small utility room just off the kitchen towards the rear of the house and there is also a gas fire place in the front sitting room. Would one alarm located mid way (approx. 5 metres from the entrance to both rooms) between the two rooms in the hall be sufficient? Upstairs there is just a bog standard hotpress.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,416 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There may be different rules for different types of properties.

Is it rented out?

Is it a new build?

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

Victor wrote: »
    There may be different rules for different types of properties.

Is it rented out?

Is it a new build?

Hi Victor. I own and live in the property which is roughly 15 to 20 years old.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

PGL wrote: »
    Hi Victor. I own and live in the property which is roughly 15 to 20 years old.

Technically speaking none are required.
    But under the current building regulations, if your house was built tomorrow, Building Control would enforce the following :

CO Alarm in the room with the gas boiler
    CO alarm in the room with the fireplace
    CO alarm in the room above if the chimney passes through it.
    CO alarm on the first floor landing (within 5m of the entrance to the rooms)

Thanks for the feedback. Regardless of the fact it's not a new build, I'm going to install one of these alarms for peace of mind. My question is whether one alarm could be placed in the hallway, half way between the gas boiler and the fireplace?

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭famagusta

No put them in as the poster above said, he is spot on. They are not that expensive anyway

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

PGL wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback. Regardless of the fact it's not a new build, I'm going to install one of these alarms for peace of mind. My question is whether one alarm could be placed in the hallway, half way between the gas boiler and the fireplace?

No. Because if someone is asleep in the sitting room, by the time the alarm in the hall goes off, they are dead.

If someone is asleep in the bedroom where the flue passes through, by the time the alarm goes off they are dead. See what I mean.

At the very least, you should have one in each room that the heat producing appliance is located.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Basically everywhere where you have the heat source (fireplace, solid fuel stove), boiler and the chimney passing through. I'd be more inclined getting too many than risking my family's life.
    If you have the chimney passing through between 2 bedrooms put one in each. If you have an attic conversion with the chimney passing through, put an alarm in.
    CO is no joke.

Thanks for all the feedback folks. I'd already bought 1. I'll now pick up 2 more, and install one in front sitting room, one in utility and one on the first floor landing.

Advertisement