Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asking last month to live off deposit?

Options
  • 10-08-2017 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hello, my rent agreement is due to end in October, I was renting property for a year.

For past 3 months I was jobless so I was living off savings and paying rent from savings, I made it through until last month.

I know it's not how it works, I know you pay for last month then move out and deposit is returned but - do you think there is a way to ask landlord for live off deposit last month or least 2-3 weeks? Has anybody done this before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Have you asked your landlord?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭dennyk

I mean, you can always ask, but I wouldn't count on it happening; the deposit is there to cover damages to the property. If he returns it before you move out, he is taking on all the risk himself, and he probably won't be keen on that (especially when you're asking due to financial troubles, as there is then a greater risk that, facing potential homelessness, you might choose to stop paying rent and overhold, and the landlord would then have to go to a great deal of trouble and expense to remove you legally).

• Registered Users Posts: 7 iAmAUser90

dennyk wrote: »
    I mean, you can always ask, but I wouldn't count on it happening; the deposit is there to cover damages to the property. If he returns it before you move out, he is taking on all the risk himself, and he probably won't be keen on that (especially when you're asking due to financial troubles, as there is then a greater risk that, facing potential homelessness, you might choose to stop paying rent and overhold, and the landlord would then have to go to a great deal of trouble and expense to remove you legally).

I am not looking to argue, I've secured new job and will have to relocate anyway but I am starting new job literally 2 weeks before last month commences so there will be no payment.

I might as well just move out month in advance I guess.

Will try to get at least one week to be able to pack stuff and get out.

Have you asked your landlord?

Not yet, I dont know how to ask or approach him about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Have the place sparkling clean. Go that extra mile. Show that you have respected the property. Tell the landlord the situation.

Honesty is always best policy.

A decent landlord will understand and accept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭dennyk

I'd maybe talk to your landlord and explain your situation if you need to delay the last month's rent payment, rather than just up and abandoning the place a month early without paying. You'll still owe him that last month's rent regardless unless your lease has a very generous break clause, so he could come after you for it in theory, though whether he'd bother is anyone's guess. Keeping things as amicable as possible may also help if you need a reference from him down the road.

iAmAUser90 wrote: »
    .............. do you think there is a way to ask landlord for live off deposit last month or least 2-3 weeks? Has anybody done this before?

About half of my tenants over a decade did this. Without asking I may add.
    If I was you I'd tell your landlord you simply don't have the last months rent .......... be flexible on viewings etc and I'm sure the landlord will accept the situation.

There's nothing they can do anyway, it takes months to evict someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Augeo wrote: »
    If I was you I'd tell your landlord you simply don't have the last months rent .......... be flexible on viewings etc and I'm sure the landlord will accept the situation.

It's best to be open and honest and if the landlord is anyway decent and if the flat is left in good condition, he'll still provide a good reference for whenever the OP needs to move into a new rental

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Augeo wrote: »

The only issue is references! But I think your right that if the place looks immaculate and is available for viewings the Landlord is more likely to agree to the deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

Ask the landlord but please don't just leave a month early and not pay the last months rent without saying anything.

The reason why the rest of us are expected to pay 2/3 months rent as a deposit is a result from people doing exactly this! Be honest and see what he says.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Hello, my rent agreement is due to end in October, I was renting property for a year.

For past 3 months I was jobless so I was living off savings and paying rent from savings, I made it through until last month.

I know it's not how it works, I know you pay for last month then move out and deposit is returned but - do you think there is a way to ask landlord for live off deposit last month or least 2-3 weeks? Has anybody done this before?

so your saying you have no money to the landlord and if there are damages to the property its their hard look. The landlord should shut that request down straight away if they know whats good for them

Okay things have changed and I need to leave preferably - a month before lease ends...

My lease ends on last day of September but I need to move out at around 5-6th of September, I don't really care about deposit (1.4k)

I signed new contract just yesterday so got new job but my first payday will be in the end of September so I can't pay rent + I need to move closer to work as it's 160km (two way) travel every day which will cost me more than months rent.

Would you say landlord can come forward and just start looking for new tenants literally tomorrow and keep deposit to cover last months rent?

Can I still dare to ask for good/okay-ish reference?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭GGTrek

Okay things have changed and I need to leave preferably - a month before lease ends...

My lease ends on last day of September but I need to move out at around 5-6th of September, I don't really care about deposit (1.4k)

I signed new contract just yesterday so got new job but my first payday will be in the end of September so I can't pay rent + I need to move closer to work as it's 160km (two way) travel every day which will cost me more than months rent.

Would you say landlord can come forward and just start looking for new tenants literally tomorrow and keep deposit to cover last months rent?

Can I still dare to ask for good/okay-ish reference?
    Why are you asking in a public forum, call your landlord ASAP. Try to strike a deal and negotiate deposit retention vs reference.

GGTrek wrote: »
    Why are you asking in a public forum, call your landlord ASAP. Try to strike a deal and negotiate deposit retention vs reference.

That's the thing, I am not sure how to say it.
    I've sent him a text asking if he's gonna be around any time soon and I need to discuss something but in response he wrote: What do I want to discuss?

Should I just text it or just talk to him in person?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭GGTrek

GGTrek wrote: »

That's the thing, I am not sure how to say it.
    I've sent him a text asking if he's gonna be around any time soon and I need to discuss something but in response he wrote: What do I want to discuss?

Should I just text it or just talk to him in person?
    When you have to discuss something this serious, you pick up the phone, call the landlord and discuss all the details (prepare a written list of topics to discuss: your new job, exit date, inspection, deposit, bills outstanding, reference vs deposit, ...) and show that you are an adult that can assume his/her responsibilities and is not afraid to openly discuss the issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

OP, you can also request to assign the lease to someone else. You could then leave with the assignee taking up responsibility for the lease.

If you're in a high demand area, you'd have no trouble filling it.

GGTrek thanks for suggestion, called him and explained everything.

Things will be okay, he's okay with letting me stay here till 5th of Sept (max at my own request) for full deposit and reference.

Such relief, would've been stressed for next 3-4 days if I didn't call, spent this entire week fixing everything that was broken, invested at least 150 euro into fixing stuff to keep everything in perfect condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

GGTrek thanks for suggestion, called him and explained everything.

Things will be okay, he's okay with letting me stay here till 5th of Sept (max at my own request) for full deposit and reference.

Such relief, would've been stressed for next 3-4 days if I didn't call, spent this entire week fixing everything that was broken, invested at least 150 euro into fixing stuff to keep everything in perfect condition.

Most people are fundamentally decent when it comes down to it. A small few on both sides of the equation ruin it for reasoable people

Advertisement