Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freeware Video Editor - similar to Windows Movie Maker - soon, soon, soon!

Options
  • 10-08-2017 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

Hi all

So, I'm making an instructional video on short notice - for delivery tomorrow - and I've realised that I won't be a film director any time soon..

Using Freeware for this, and it is to be a recording of steps taken on screen. Got the on-screen recording using CamStudio. It's not awful - and I can update on how I used it later on if anybody's interested.

Now, I need to edit it to add captions, merge some videos, and snip some stuff off the beginning and the end (as CamStudio does re-organise the slides sometimes..)

Was looking around, and Windows Movie Maker seemed to be the trick for me and I could do what I wanted, but my only output option is to wlmp. I know Windows Movie Maker is no longer supported - so I would look for something else very similar. Looked at a few, and trying Shotcut, but, I would appreciate some advice, as I don't immediately understand the Shotcut interface (and I only got onto video editing today, and just got to understand the Movie Maker one).

An alternative would be converting wlmp to mp4 - but I don't know enough about this except that it might not be possible without a whole pile of messing.

I haven't done this before, and it would be fun to figure it out, except for the tight deadline.

Thank you already for any help!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

If you're new to video editing and in a hurry, you don't want to have to try and learn a bunch of different NLE interfaces. They each have their own quirks and it takes time to get to grips with them.

If MP4 will do as the container format, you can apparently do that direct from Movie Maker. Go to Save Movie and click the down arrow in the icon. Look for "Common settings" and select "for email" - this will select an MP4 container using the H.264 codec.

Edit: Just realised that this will have been too late to help the OP, but hopefully it might be useful to others in future...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xaracatz

Hey Fysh

Yep - thank you! I saw that I should be able to save to MP4, but, whatever strange and interesting version of Movie Maker that I had installed was asking for a verification key for this. I ended up re-installing Movie Maker again from a different source, and then could get the video out as MP4. Success!

Quality looked really bad on the new version of Movie Maker while I was editing it, but once I exported it out, it looked fine. :)

Advertisement