Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How far along am I?

Options
  • 10-08-2017 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Today I found out I was pregnant I took a clear blue weeks indicator which says 1-2 weeks which really means about 4, but going by the first day of my last period which was 24th of June but my period was very irregular after getting the implanon out so that would be roughly about 6 weeks.. I know it might sound silly as the test says what it's says but can anyone shine a bit of light which to go by? As im a bit confused.. Please and thank you in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

I dont think you could be 6 weeks when the test says 1-2 weeks. You may have ovulated later than you think. You could wait a few weeks and go for a private dating scan.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

If the test said 1 to 2 weeks you'd be about 3 to 4 weeks pregnant. If you get a dating scan around 6 weeks, they're quite accurate in giving you a definite date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

First of all, did you take the test first thing in the morning? It's important to do so with those dating indicator tests to get as accurate an estimation as possible. But those tests are never going to be accurate for every pregnancy anyways.

Best thing might be to go to your GP and explain the uncertainty about dates, they may arrange a dating scan and/or take your bloods to measure the HCG.

In the meantime if I were you I'd go with the assumption you're only four weeks due - it'll be a nice surprise then if you get to "skip" two weeks of the pregnancy! :D

Oh and congrats! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I would just assume a long cycle and that you are around 4 weeks. The 1-2 bit tells you that the hCG level is between 25-200 miU - given that it doubles roughly every 48-72 hours early on it would be very difficult for you to be 6 weeks with a viable pregnancy and have that sort of level.

With my son my LMP and scan dates were a full month apart - I completely missed a cycle due to wedding/honeymoon stress then conceived on the next cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭McCloskey_A

I’m having a similar problem at the moment, can anyone advise,
    Have had 4 positive clear blue 1-2 week tests this week and the GP’s showed negative!
    Pulling my hair out now, 😕

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

I’m having a similar problem at the moment, can anyone advise,
    Have had 4 positive clear blue 1-2 week tests this week and the GP’s showed negative!
    Pulling my hair out now, 😕

My gp didn't even bother doing a test when I told her I had a positive clear blue one. she said the ones the HSE supply are awful and you get better results with the ones like clear blue / first response as they are more sensitive.

Cakerbaker wrote: »
    My gp didn't even bother doing a test when I told her I had a positive clear blue one. she said the ones the HSE supply are awful and you get better results with the ones like clear blue / first response as they are more sensitive.

So I should assume I am then! And go back next week and hope it’s positive there :) thanks

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Yeah those clear blue and first response ones can be used from something mad like 6 days before your period is due! My GP didn't bother using their tests both times I went in to tell them I was pregnant - he said that the ones they have often won't show a positive until your period is actually late whereas the ones in the shops will show a positive before you've even missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I know two people recently who had to pay twice for the GP as their test was negative. For my own, I got a 1-2 week on a clear blue, went to the GP 6 days later and she said hers was very faint, but I was definitely 4 weeks as her tests don't work before 4 weeks

Beanybabog wrote: »
    I know two people recently who had to pay twice for the GP as their test was negative. For my own, I got a 1-2 week on a clear blue, went to the GP 6 days later and she said hers was very faint, but I was definitely 4 weeks as her tests don't work before 4 weeks

I think because I had got such a shock when he said negative (first pregnancy for me) that I didn’t really ask anything else, just nodded when he said come back next week! No charge for next weeks test, which seems fair,
    Do GP’s do blood tests?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I think because I had got such a shock when he said negative (first pregnancy for me) that I didn’t really ask anything else, just nodded when he said come back next week! No charge for next weeks test, which seems fair,
    Do GP’s do blood tests?

I dont think so, but I could be wrong? Usually if you need a blood test I think you're referred to the hospital anyway. I was giving out about the GP tests to Mam who pointed out in her day you only got confirmed at 3 months!!!

yes i think my impatience is getting the better of me! then I'm nervous that I don't do anything wrong either! it'll be a long few weeks :)

Beanybabog wrote: »
    I dont think so, but I could be wrong? Usually if you need a blood test I think you're referred to the hospital anyway. I was giving out about the GP tests to Mam who pointed out in her day you only got confirmed at 3 months!!!

Yeah my mum was saying back when she was expecting me they had to give a urine sample in the doctor's and that was sent off to a hospital lab and then you got the results about a week or so later! Imagine! And she only got a scan on my youngest sister, they just weren't available prior to that.

Your GP may draw bloods for you and send them to hospital, I think it varies from GP to GP so you could check with yours. My own GP does all bloods, but I know the GP my sister in law goes to sends you to the hospital for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I’m having a similar problem at the moment, can anyone advise, Have had 4 positive clear blue 1-2 week tests this week and the GP’s showed negative! Pulling my hair out now, 😕

Congratulations, you can't get a false positive test, you can get a false negative though if there's not enough hcg hormone to show up on cheaper tests like the gp uses. Clearblue tests are far more accurate, but the hospital never goes by conception date.

The official duration of pregnancy is calculated at 40 weeks. This is taken from the first day of your last period.
    Full term pregnancy is from 38-42 weeks. This allows for discrepancies for conception to have taken place at any time during the 4 weeks cycle.
    When you go to either a gp or hospital appointment they'll ask you the first day of your last period. This will forevermore calculate your due date :) ( unless you can't remember) they won't change it unless there's more than 14 days difference in size at your dating scan.

So say for example, if the first day of you last period was a Tuesday, then every Tuesday you are a week further on. If your hospital appointments fall on a Friday then say at ten weeks, you would be 10+3, this is the 'official' way

Best of luck with everything . :D

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

cbyrd wrote: »
    Congratulations, you can't get a false positive test,

Technically you can with a chemical pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

lashes34 wrote: »
    Technically you can with a chemical pregnancy.

With a chemical you are still pregnant. You've just had an early miscarriage and the hormones are on the decline but still high enough that the tests think you are pregnant.
    The tests are just responding to a certain level of hormone. It has no idea if that hormone will increase or decrease

Advertisement