Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surrogate

Options
  • 10-08-2017 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello all, my partner and I were thinking about starting our own family. We r a same sex couple, two lads and were thinking about going down the surrogate route but not sure where to start, any suggestion...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Shane42 wrote: »
    Hello all, my partner and I were thinking about starting our own family. We r a same sex couple, two lads and were thinking about going down the surrogate route but not sure where to start, any suggestion...

I guess the first things you have to work out is if you are looking to work with a traditional surrogate or a gestational surrogate. In the uk it's illegal to advertise surrogacy so your best bet is to either ask someone you know, join a surrogacy group like (surrogacy uk; they hold regular meet ups etc) or join some Facebook matching groups. There are Irish people on the uk groups so you can still find someone local if that's important to you. Even though surrogacy in the uk is altruistic ( other countries it can be anywhere from $60k-$100k) youvwould stoll need to budget around 15k-20k ( a little less if going the Traditional surrogate route). I know all my info is based on the uk but the laws here are very cloudy.
    It's very important that you find a solicitor that has experience in surrogacy as you wouldn't want and issues arising when it comes to contracts. Best of luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Shane42

I guess the first things you have to work out is if you are looking to work with a traditional surrogate or a gestational surrogate. In the uk it's illegal to advertise surrogacy so your best bet is to either ask someone you know, join a surrogacy group like (surrogacy uk; they hold regular meet ups etc) or join some Facebook matching groups. There are Irish people on the uk groups so you can still find someone local if that's important to you. Even though surrogacy in the uk is altruistic ( other countries it can be anywhere from $60k-$100k) youvwould stoll need to budget around 15k-20k ( a little less if going the Traditional surrogate route). I know all my info is based on the uk but the laws here are very cloudy.
    It's very important that you find a solicitor that has experience in surrogacy as you wouldn't want and issues arising when it comes to contracts. Best of luck to you.

Thanks for all the helpful information, we have a long road ahead of us.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

You should get legal advice.

As far as I can remember, the gestational carrier /surrogate of a child is automatically recognised as the mother in the eyes of the law - even if the baby is not genetically hers at all for example, using a donor egg. So it's possible that she has every right in law to decide to keep the baby.

So investigate absolutely everything before you make any agreements.

Advertisement