Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hob to Oven cookware

Options
  • 10-08-2017 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking to pick up some hob to oven cookware.

Stuff for stews, etc.

Would love some recommendations :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Le Creuset, expensive though, think homestore do a similar cast iron range at a lot less cost

• Registered Users Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

vicwatson wrote: »
    Le Creuset, expensive though, think homestore do a similar cast iron range at a lot less cost

I bought a large homestore cast pot a few months ago and it is lasting well. It was a fraction of the price of Le Creuset. Same things apply though - don't touch it with anything metal and try and avoid the dishwasher.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Thank you both so much. Is Homestore the Homestore and More place? I must have a look online if so.

I did see the Le Cruset ones in Arnotts, they are way out of my budget. One of the dishes was over €400.

I have some LC stuff (only suitable for oven cooking) and they are by far my favourite, but I got them in TK Maxx years ago for €25 each. Bargain.

Thank you both so much. Is Homestore the Homestore and More place? I must have a look online if so.

I did see the Le Cruset ones in Arnotts, they are way out of my budget. One of the dishes was over €400.

I have some LC stuff (only suitable for oven cooking) and they are by far my favourite, but I got them in TK Maxx years ago for €25 each. Bargain.

I got a Denby cast iron pot in Arnotts about 2 Christmasses ago and it's phenomenal. I've used it probably twice a week since then and only one minor scape around the rim where my GF used a metal ladle. Best kitchen item I ever bought. Think it was about €60ish in the pre - Xmas sale.

Edit:
    http://www.arnotts.ie/denby-natural-canvas-cast-iron-casserole-20-cm/439508/979400250150

here's a similar one for €100. If mine was stolen, I'd buy one tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

Cast iron cookware is on regular rotation in both Aldi's and Lidl's specials. Patience, Grasshopper :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The Le Creuset shop in Kildare Village has a sale table :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

arian wrote: »
    Cast iron cookware is on regular rotation in both Aldi's and Lidl's specials. Patience, Grasshopper :)

Was just about to post this. I have two enamelled cast-iron casserole dishes from Aldi that I've had for years that are still going strong. I think the oval one is about ten years old at this stage. I've bought them as presents for the cooks in my life too and they all love them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

I got a nice Denby in TK Maxx not too long ago. They crop up from time to time but they are very good

Thanks so much everyone for all your help. I really appreciate it.

I will keep an eye out in Aldi, unfortunately I've no way of getting to the Lidl near me. I will check out TK Maxx as well. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

As far as I know they don't have the cast iron LC stuff in TK Maxx, only ceramic (or whatever it is). Certainly I've never seen it.

I'd second the Kildare Village shop as an option, I got a large cast iron casserole for a fraction of the full price - the lid a teeny bit off so doesn't "seal" shut, but it makes absolutely no difference. Some savage bargains to be had there if you're down that way ever.

Thanks a mill. I've no way of getting to Kildare Village as I don't drive but maybe sometime I'll get there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

TK Maxx is indeed great for cookware bargains.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I bought a frying pan with detachable handles (Tefal) a number of years ago. I don't have the handle (unfortunately) but it's great for a fry - fry on the hob then transfer into a warm oven

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I bought a Le Cruset knock off from homestore and more last year. Pretty sure I paid less too. Does the job

http://www.homestoreandmore.ie/pots+pans/cast-iron-round-casserole-dish-red-52l/invt/054749

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

The thing that puts me off cast iron hob to oven cookware is the weight. I bought one years ago but went back to preparing dishes in the saute pan, deglazing and transferring it all into a ceramic or glass casserole dish to put it into the oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I have the home store and more one as well and find it great. Convincing my husband to keep metal spoons away from it is another story though!

Advertisement