Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ham and Mushroom PIzza?

Options
  • 10-08-2017 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭

Where can one get a good ham and mushroom pizza in retail?
    Goodfellas stopped doing them - i wonder why - its a popular combination..
    Anyone know if there are supermarkets that do their own brand ham and mushroom? preferable stone bake style..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,620 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Seems to have been supplanted by pepperoni... Tesco have own brand stone baked but they largely overlap with the Goodfellas toppings.
    And they are not so much cheaper that you could get margarita and throw on your own toppings unless you were getting two.

You would really expect more variety!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭sporina

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Seems to have been supplanted by pepperoni... Tesco have own brand stone baked but they largely overlap with the Goodfellas toppings.
    And they are not so much cheaper that you could get margarita and throw on your own toppings unless you were getting two.

You would really expect more variety!

oh i can't eat any of those fermented meats - repeat on me for an age...

yeah i could make my own but meh having to fry the mushrooms first is a hassle.. the reason i would buy a retail pizza is for convenience..
    but i guess i could do it if i wanted it badly enough lol..

might try m&s

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I never fry the mushrooms first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

You could go to the make your own pizza places in the supermarket.

kylith wrote: »
    I never fry the mushrooms first.

but aren't they dry and leathery if not fried beforehand?
    RasTa wrote: »
    You could go to the make your own pizza places in the supermarket.

could but are they nice? the bases in those places don't look too nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

sporina wrote: »

No, they're just cooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

And frozen pizzas have better bases?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You can get frozen sliced mushrooms in tesco. These would be flash frozen, if you did your own they would go mushy when defrosted.

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=281976198
    And frozen pizzas have better bases?
    I would take most frozen bases over those "make your own" ones you see in supermarkets. I have not had one in years though, but they still look the same. I always found the look of them with all the grid of holes, very off putting for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

I think Dunnes do them in their own range. Fairly sure I've seen them in my local Dunnes anyway.

rubadub wrote: »
    You can get frozen sliced mushrooms in tesco. These would be flash frozen, if you did your own they would go mushy when defrosted.

well i wouldn't be cooking them and then freezing them..

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=281976198

I would take most frozen bases over those "make your own" ones you see in supermarkets. I have not had one in years though, but they still look the same. I always found the look of them with all the grid of holes, very off putting for some reason.

yep the ones in deli's look awful.. frozen bases like goodfellas stone baked are grand as frozen pizza goes. I use to like the g'fellas ham and m'room but it has been delisted

• Advertisement

I think Dunnes do them in their own range. Fairly sure I've seen them in my local Dunnes anyway.

thanks will take a look - never in Dunnes

found a ham and mushroom pizza - from Padraigins range - made in Cork.. spotted them in Dunnes.. didn't buy one but good to know its there.. feels v heavy though? anyone ever had one from this range? i wonder what the base is like..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

found a ham and mushroom pizza - from Padraigins range - made in Cork.. spotted them in Dunnes.. didn't buy one but good to know its there.. feels v heavy though? anyone ever had one from this range? i wonder what the base is like..

I've eaten these pizzas both in the Padraigins restaurant and from the frozen range and both are very good! They don't come very cheap but they definitely don't scrimp on the toppings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

Corkgirl18 wrote: »
    I've eaten these pizzas both in the Padraigins restaurant and from the frozen range and both are very good! They don't come very cheap but they definitely don't scrimp on the toppings.

what are the bases like - the frozen one's?
    ....... wrote: »

"fridge pizza"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

what are the bases like - the frozen one's?

They're quite good! They're quite thin and not too crispy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Why don't you try them yourself to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Try make your own but using the 'Pizza da Piero' bases which are really excellent. Irish product sold at SuperValu and you knock up a pizza in no time at all.

Just put tinned crushed tomatoes on the Pizza da Piero base, packet grated mozerella and then some ham and mushrooms and into very hot oven. The simplier the better IMO.

Have a house full of kids and they love it. (As do I)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

lots of great tips on how to get my get around the lack of retail ham and mushroom pizza here - thanks..

and to go further, a mate told me today that ALDI do a fresh pizza dough.. now that sounds cool.. would be like almost making it myself.. defo have to try that...
    anyone used it before? ALDI pizza dough?

• Advertisement

so here is it...

ok - margherita stone baked tesco fresh.. sauted mushrooms with connaught gold garlic and herb butter.. tossed with some blacky ham.. and a few finely diced cheery tomatoes.. result!

oh yeah , dunnes stores had a fresh ham and mustroom pizza btw - but the mushrooms were from a tin.. sacrilege!!

ps tried to upload a pic but failed to do so - not sure why...

Advertisement