Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin North Quays bus and bike lane

Options
  • 10-08-2017 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭

Just cycling this morning to work in Sandymount from Islandbridge and noticed new road markings on the road along the Liffey. It seems that the new bus and cycle lane is happening. Both car lanes are being reduced to just one.
    I wonder how will this affect traffic in town. I believe it might be quite annoying to some drivers once the traffic is back to standstill in September.
    Few times this year I had to drive to work, and it would take me over an hour to drive 8km :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

IIRC, the bus lanes were carrying 8000 people per hour, and the car lanes 600 people per hour, on one section of the quays. so it seems a no-brainer to prioritise buses, instead of having them stuck behind each other at stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

Oh, I don't mind that, i have been cycling to work since year 2009.
    But i am sure we can expect few more posts here of people complaining about the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Have been noticing the 'progress' of these lanes all week, every day they go a bit further :) this is a fantastic development and will help greatly on what is undoubtedly the worst part of my commute both in and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Should be fun on the bicycle trying to dodge busses, shame cyclists weren't given a protected cycle-lane along the Liffey quays...
    But I guess that would mean removal of the madness of private car-parking along said quays...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I posted this query across in the C and T forum but maybe somebody here who uses the double bus lane on Pearse Street could give some real life experience.

I don't cycle along the quays but I am curious as to how the double Pearse Street bus lane is working. That has been a double lane for a good while now so I would imagine the north quays will be similar when it starts. Anybody any direct experience of cycling along that one.

Especially during peak times when I imagine traffic volumes would be similar

• Advertisement

Is the Pearse St one not a double lane because some buses go straight onto College Green and others turn right around to Townsend Street? I'm assuming the quays will be inside lane for buses stopping, outside lane for those not. Obviously buses will move between the two lanes but it should be a lot less 'weavy' than currently? There are plenty of buses and bikes that don't need to pull into the left and they will have a clear run down the quays now - maybe I'm assuming incorrectly though!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    I posted this query across in the C and T forum but maybe somebody here who uses the double bus lane on Pearse Street could give some real life experience.

I don't cycle along the quays but I am curious as to how the double Pearse Street bus lane is working. That has been a double lane for a good while now so I would imagine the north quays will be similar when it starts. Anybody any direct experience of cycling along that one.

Especially during peak times when I imagine traffic volumes would be similar

I cycle this daily. In the evenings, it's okay. I nschool terms, the traffic is heavy and backed up in the non-bus lanes and virtually stationary. I usually take the right bus lane, as I'm heading up and turning right towards the south quays. Taxis and buses will still undertake, but it's not too bad. The junctions at Pearse Street becomes a bottle neck, so can be hairy enough getting around the corner. Going past the Irish Times building, you've got to take the lane to avoid cars cutting left heading towards Poolbeg Street or Further up to get onto the quays.

It becomes a doiffernt issue outside the bus lane operating time, when it becomes a speed track for motorsts. Some of the experience I;'be had have been pretty scary - underpassed by cars doing easily 80kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I cycle this daily. In the evenings, it's okay. I nschool terms, the traffic is heavy and backed up in the non-bus lanes and virtually stationary. I usually take the right bus lane, as I'm heading up and turning right towards the south quays. Taxis and buses will still undertake, but it's not too bad. The junctions at Pearse Street becomes a bottle neck, so can be hairy enough getting around the corner. Going past the Irish Times building, you've got to take the lane to avoid cars cutting left heading towards Poolbeg Street or Further up to get onto the quays.

It becomes a doiffernt issue outside the bus lane operating time, when it becomes a speed track for motorsts. Some of the experience I;'be had have been pretty scary - underpassed by cars doing easily 80kph.

Actually what are the proposed operating times for the new North quays bus lanes??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Are there plans online anywhere? I noticed this morning on Ormond Quay at the junction with Capel street they've just painted "Jervis Street" and an arrow in the leftmost lane. Does this mean a car can enter the "bus" lane at Capel street if heading for Jervis?

I don't cycle much of the quays in the morning, but that stretch has always been a nightmare - you have people skipping up the bus lane early and those who obediently wait for the turn off, along with buses and bikes, and it gets very messy. I suppose it would make sense to allow cars in to the leftmost lane earlier if there's a second bus lane for buses to overtake.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

That turn off for the Jervis Centre at the Morrison is already dodgy and having a car have to cut across two bus lanes to make it is going to make it much worse I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Danbo! wrote: »
    ... I noticed this morning on Ormond Quay at the junction with Capel street they've just painted "Jervis Street" and an arrow in the leftmost lane. Does this mean a car can enter the "bus" lane at Capel street if heading for Jervis?.....
    It would be safer if private vehicle were allowed to enter the bus lane earlier. Currently they have to wait until they are almost at Swifts Row before crossing which can be dangerous for cyclists. In my experience a lot of those motorists are not overly familiar with that turn as it's quite a small side street - they spot it and the sign for Jervis Street Shopping Center at the last minute and then dart across putting cyclists at risk. Much safer for them to enter the bus lane just after the bridge.

It would be safer if private vehicle were allowed to enter the bus lane earlier. Currently they have to wait until they are almost at Swifts Row before crossing which can be dangerous for cyclists. In my experience a lot of those motorists are not overly familiar with that turn as it's quite a small side street - they spot it and the sign for Jervis Street Shopping Center at the last minute and then dart across putting cyclists at risk. Much safer for them to enter the bus lane just after the bridge.

Yeah I'm only on the quays from the four courts to Jervis street and it's always a mess from just before Capel street. I find driving the route stressful too, with speeding taxis in the lane it's hard to wait until the slim opportunity you are given to get in lane, so can understand why people enter earlier when they see their chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

South of the river from O'Connell Bridge to the Clarence Hotel has a new bus / bike lane as well - private cars have been limited to one lane here. I usually took center lane there anyway to avoid a close pass, but the bus lane might help things a bit. Be interested to see how it pans out when the schools are back.

Be nice to see them do something even temporarily at the Guinness Brewery - the right turn there to get to the Park is probably the hairiest part of my commute home. Getting rid of the parking trucks and running a cycle lane along the river on the right hand side is one solution, but presumably these have some association with Guinness.

Cycled down the quays this morning to get a better look at the markings. It's a little confusing tbh and will be a nightmare the first few days after it comes into effect, which I think is August 20th.

Just after Capel street there's a new painted cycle track which tapers out from the kerb over a long distance, which I can't understand, but more importantly, the taper is so shallow it runs almost parallel to the kerb and with this mornings wet weather, I very nearly lost it with a taxi right behind me. Careful out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Yeah it all comes into effect when Ironman hits the city!

Love the forward thinking in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Be interesting to see traffic volumes on the quays with the schools back next week. Having used the quays for the last week its definitely made a positive difference I feel as the bus lanes tended to be clear up until bachelor's walk.

The turn off for Jervis is a mess though, why did they not put the cycle lane to the right of the traffic lane. I've continued to just take the lane after the Ormond Hotel as it just feels safer to me that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

The turn off for Jervis is a mess though, why did they not put the cycle lane to the right of the traffic lane. I've continued to just take the lane after the Ormond Hotel as it just feels safer to me that way.
    The second cycle lane - the bus and cycle lane in the middle of the road is great, considering it's a 30kmph zone, I have no issue cycling along there in whatever bus and taxi traffic there is in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Happy with the lanes so far, definitely makes a difference in the evenings. Though I was beeped by a woman in a car at lunch time while I was doing 32kph in the new bus lane, either she know about the lane changes or didn't care.

Be interesting to see traffic volumes on the quays with the schools back next week. Having used the quays for the last week its definitely made a positive difference I feel as the bus lanes tended to be clear up until bachelor's walk.

I know I’m dragging up an old thread but I drove this for the first time this morning, usually cycle it.

I was heading to jervis street, and have to say it’s very very difficult to follow the rules on the north quays. I stayed in lane, merged where it goes down to one lane, immediately after which I then indicated to move across the bus lane into the jervis lane. There were so many cars skipping up the bus lane and busses moving from left bus lane to middle bus lane, not to mention other cyclists in both lanes, it was very very tough to get across. I can now understand why regulars might be tempted to move across before the merge and risk 100/200ft of bus lane, especially as I haven’t seen a Garda nearby any morning I’ve cycled down since the changes came in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

speaking of the quays:
    https://www.facebook.com/IBIKEDUB/posts/1932903566724870
    Do you commute by bicycle via the Liffey quays, or would you like to cycle into town, but find it too intimidating to begin?

I BIKE Dublin will soon begin a trial of organised group cycles in the mornings and evenings to safely ferry people in and out of the city centre. These groups will be marshalled by I BIKE Dublin members and experienced cyclists.

Our first route will be east (towards the sea) on the north quays in the morning and west (towards Heuston/the Phoenix Park) on the south quays in the evening.

If you are interested, please let us know. With enough demand, we will organise dates and times for the trial.

• Advertisement

Danbo! wrote: »
    There were so many cars skipping up the bus lane and busses moving from left bus lane to middle bus lane, not to mention other cyclists in both lanes, it was very very tough to get across. .

It's pretty chaotic since the schools have been back. I think what they should have done here was created a wide bus lane on the left and keep all the buses in there holding each other up, then a bike lane so we can just get on with the business of getting down the quays, then the car lane/lanes. It's totally crazy to have the bike lane first which all the buses then have to cross & block every time they pull in at a stop (of which there are many!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Phil.x

I drove in when the trains were on strike, from the 4courts to convention center took 40mins.
    Never again, back on the bike Next Week.
    But the thing that pissed me off was the lack of buses on the new lanes, they were virtually empty, why no more buses are provided I don't know.

I guess solidarity with the striking train drivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Phil.x wrote: »
    I drove in when the trains were on strike, from the 4courts to convention center took 40mins.
    Never again, back on the bike Next Week.
    But the thing that pissed me off was the lack of buses on the new lanes, they were virtually empty, why no more buses are provided I don't know.

a properly functioning bus lane looks empty most of the time...

Advertisement