Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to all of this - advice please

Options
  • 10-08-2017 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

I broke my leg a month ago whilst running so I'm still in a boot and on crutches. I was advised an orthapeadic consultant that I should definitely consider knocking the running on the head completely. This break he reckons was as a result of a previous break of the same leg 20 years ago. I was running 5 to 10K maybe 3 or 4 times per week for the past year and absolutely loving it. Gutted is an understatement but I'm trying to look for alternatives. Cycling seems to fit the bill perfectly. I want to use it as a direct replacement for the running and would intend to get into it in with the intention of continuing with it and improving over the long term. I'm looking for some advice if you can.

- When I was running I got a great buzz out of it after a run and mentally it has been a massive positive for me. Is cycling the same? I found running very addictive. Do you guys feel the same?

- What sort of bike should I opt for? I want a road bike and I know brands like Giant, Trek and Scott etc. I want to buy something decent as I'm certain that I'll do my utmost to use it regularly. I'll use the bike to work scheme. I'd be prepared to spend approx €2,000

- Do you guys cycle all year round or do use do other sports in the winter. Do you all use the Turbo at home?

Sorry for the long post. I'm just new to the whole thing and trying to find a good alternative to running. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Sorry to hear of the break. I did my ankle a few years back (alcohol, not running mind) and was lucky enough to recover without any real side effects so to be advised to give up something you enjoy so much is quite a blow I would imagine.

To answer the question of the buzz, I definitely experience that on my bike whether on the commute or my weekend spins. There's no guarantee you'll feel that way but what I've found is that the right setting makes all the difference for me. If that's the hills, a local loop or a velodrome I'm personally convinced there's a cycling location out there for everyone. :)

As regards what bike, if I had two grand to spend I'd be buying two. :)

As of last year I cycle year round. Couldn't stand the turbo I bought. Must get around to selling it actually. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

do you plan to commute or just use it for leisure / fitness?

i cycle year round too, although mostly for commuting. i still get out for longer spins all year round but just more frequently during the summer months. once you have the right gear then cycling in winter is fine for the most part.

i had a turbo which i rarely used, partly due to how loud it was. i sold that and replaced it with rollers because i'd heard great things about them. think i've used them a couple of times in total - tbf i can get up and down Howth head in an hour so i tend to do that rather than spending the same amount of time on the rollers in the garage!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Sorry to hear that mosesgun, I too am a broken runner. You're probably not going to know until you try, everyone's different etc but I don't get the same buzz from the bike that I did from a run (sorry). That's not to say I don't enjoy the bike, I do, it's just different but it will be whatever you make it. You'll need to spend a a lot longer on the bike to get equal bang for your buck.

Get yourself to a decent bike shop and do plenty of research on what's available and what you want to use it for. Commuting you might have slightly different requirements than weekend/longer spins, or get something you can use for both comfortably. I'd recommend Staggs in Lucan or Cyclezone in Castleknock, both good shops owned and run by cyclists.

Edit: +1 to the cycling all year round, same as running :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I'd recommend Staggs in Lucan or Cyclezone in Castleknock, both good shops owned and run by cyclists.
    the OP's location is listed as borris in carlow; so right beside mount leinster. now there's a challenge for a new cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mosesgun

solely for leisure use / fitness. I work in Dublin which is almost 100k from my home so perhaps I might commute in a few years after I've got the hang of the cycling :)

do you plan to commute or just use it for leisure / fitness?

i cycle year round too, although mostly for commuting. i still get out for longer spins all year round but just more frequently during the summer months. once you have the right gear then cycling in winter is fine for the most part.

i had a turbo which i rarely used, partly due to how loud it was. i sold that and replaced it with rollers because i'd heard great things about them. think i've used them a couple of times in total - tbf i can get up and down Howth head in an hour so i tend to do that rather than spending the same amount of time on the rollers in the garage!

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. Hopefully I'll get some buzz from it and, as you say, it'll be what I make of it. My original motivation with the running was weight loss and i've done well in that regard. Just want to continue on the right road and I'd imagine cycling is as good as any sort for that.

I'll definitely take my time researching what's out there and what I should buy. Thanks again.Good to hear that its a year round sport too.
    Sorry to hear that mosesgun, I too am a broken runner. You're probably not going to know until you try, everyone's different etc but I don't get the same buzz from the bike that I did from a run (sorry). That's not to say I don't enjoy the bike, I do, it's just different but it will be whatever you make it. You'll need to spend a a lot longer on the bike to get equal bang for your buck.

Get yourself to a decent bike shop and do plenty of research on what's available and what you want to use it for. Commuting you might have slightly different requirements than weekend/longer spins, or get something you can use for both comfortably. I'd recommend Staggs in Lucan or Cyclezone in Castleknock, both good shops owned and run by cyclists.

Edit: +1 to the cycling all year round, same as running :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

the OP's location is listed as borris in carlow; so right beside mount leinster. now there's a challenge for a new cyclist.

He works in Dublin though, so not beyond the realms of possibility to travel to either :).

Was walking up mount Leinster to the mast a few months ago and saw a couple of hardy cyclists managing to cycle the whole thing. I couldn't believe it. It's almost vertical in some spots. The spin down seems like a right laugh though, although one wrong move and you'd be brown bread:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

in terms of the buzz or the satisfaction you get from cycling, i find hills great for that - i'm not near anything like mount leinster, but it's the hills i measure my fitness on. your performance on them is (i think - others may correct me) slightly less prone to being affected by wind, and it's a nice psychological kick to conquer one.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

It would be worth considering a good bike fit . Its a great help starting out on a bike that fits you well.
    Get the bike, hit the hills. never look back.

• Advertisement

Budawanny wrote: »
    you should always check over your shoulder if changing lanes of significantly changing position within a lane.

that was a joke, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

that was a joke, btw.

hahahha :-)

Yep was talking to a cyclist yesterday and for him it was all about the metres as he called them. All about the hills. Showing me the elevation on Strava on his phone. I never liked hills too much as a runner so hopefully I'll get used to them!
    in terms of the buzz or the satisfaction you get from cycling, i find hills great for that - i'm not near anything like mount leinster, but it's the hills i measure my fitness on. your performance on them is (i think - others may correct me) slightly less prone to being affected by wind, and it's a nice psychological kick to conquer one.

Yes thanks. If I'm spending a few quid on it I'll definitely get the correct bike fit for me. Hit the hills and never look back - Love it thanks.
    Budawanny wrote: »
    It would be worth considering a good bike fit . Its a great help starting out on a bike that fits you well.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭DKmac

1. Buy a winter bike now for about €400-€500. Something basic with 105 or equivalent.
    2. If yer still cycling next spring invest in another bike for €1500-€2000 with higher spec Ultegra or equivalent.

That way a good new bike won't be destroyed by gritty sh*tty roads and you as you learn to hack your way through the gearing and butcher the drivetrain. If you despise cycling by spring you still have €1500 to spend as you please. If you love it no doubt by then you'll already be looking at upgrades and hey presto you have the cash ready to go. Get your new bike then, pop the other one in the shed for the next winter and your better bike will last you a lot longer than if it was your only bike.

DKmac wrote: »
    1. Buy a winter bike now for about €400-€500. Something basic with 105 or equivalent.
    probably worth pointing out that this would be a secondhand purchase.

It's probably very good advice actually. I've a lot to learn. No idea what 105 or equivalent means :) Someone said this would be a second hand purchase for that money? Would that be what you're suggesting?
    2. If yer still cycling next spring invest in another bike for €1500-€2000 with higher spec Ultegra or equivalent.

That way a good new bike won't be destroyed by gritty sh*tty roads and you as you learn to hack your way through the gearing and butcher the drivetrain. If you despise cycling by spring you still have €1500 to spend as you please. If you love it no doubt by then you'll already be looking at upgrades and hey presto you have the cash ready to go. Get your new bike then, pop the other one in the shed for the next winter and your better bike will last you a lot longer than if it was your only bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭DKmac

105 is Shimano 105 relates to gears. It's a decent enough set step up from absolute basic. There are other brands but Google groupset hierarchy and you'll see what's the other brands equivalent of 105 e.g. SRAM Rival.

400 to 500 would be a second hand purchase and should be enough for a decent bike with 105 standard gears.

Thanks to the bike to work scheme you can get really good bikes second hand. be careful to ensure the gears are in good nick and work ok, it should move through gears easily. A worn chain and gear cassette could add another 60 to 90 quid onto the cost to replace. Check out YouTube videos for drivetrain wear and tear.

Sound. Thanks for that. appreciate it.
    105 is Shimano 105 relates to gears. It's a decent enough set step up from absolute basic. There are other brands but Google groupset hierarchy and you'll see what's the other brands equivalent of 105 e.g. SRAM Rival.

400 to 500 would be a second hand purchase and should be enough for a decent bike with 105 standard gears.

Thanks to the bike to work scheme you can get really good bikes second hand. be careful to ensure the gears are in good nick and work ok, it should move through gears easily. A worn chain and gear cassette could add another 60 to 90 quid onto the cost to replace. Check out YouTube videos for drivetrain wear and tear.

• Advertisement

Where are you seeing 105 equipped for 400-500 second hand?

this type of thing??

https://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for-sale/giant-defy-1-10spd-105-56cm/16234017

Advertisement