Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build (again)

Options
  • 11-08-2017 2:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭

I finally got some money put aside to build a gaming pc for my son , attempted la few months ago but needed the money for something else ,

1. What is your budget? €900 max

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming

If gaming which games? Skyrim with mods

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? no

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? yes ,ssd and normal drive

5. Do you need a monitor? no

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? no

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Probably not yet.

8. How can you pay? Credit Card , paypal

9. When are you purchasing? As soon as possible

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Hopefully building it myself.

I want to buy everything from the one supplier and priced the following from scan.co.uk

Intel Core i5 6400 Skylake Desktop Processor/CPU @ £168

Zotac NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB AMP Edition Graphics Card @ £250

MSI H270 PC Mate Kaby Lake CrossFire ATX Motherboard @ £88

Corsair 8GB DDR4 Red Vengeance LPX 3000MHz Memory Kit for Skylake @ £74

Corsair 550 Watt VS550 ATX PSU/Power Supply Unit Black @ £39

Corsair Red Carbide SPEC 04 PC Gaming Case with Window @ £45

total £665

any help much appreciated and if I can do better for the money please advise .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Is it only Skyrim with mods he's interested in? If so, both the PS4 and Xbox version have mod support now. Hell of a lot cheaper than building a PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Tony H

Is it only Skyrim with mods he's interested in? If so, both the PS4 and Xbox version have mod support now. Hell of a lot cheaper than building a PC.

no not only skyrim , its the only one that comes to mind , he said a few more but can’t remember ,
    He has Skyrim on the pa4 all ready .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor (£186.00 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: MSI - B350M BAZOOKA Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£71.49 @ Ebuyer)
    Memory: Team - Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£119.50 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Storage: Silicon Power - Silm S55 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£41.19 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£38.97 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Inno3D - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Compact Video Card (£229.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Case: Thermaltake - Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£48.00 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA GS (UK) 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£73.48 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £808.62
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-11 10:10 BST+0100

Comes to €891.50

If any do not delivery to Ireland Parcel Motel are excellent service and will do it for €3.95 per package (all Amazon ones should though).

You're at a pretty good time compared to the last three or so months, the AMD 570/580 range don't seem to even be coming back available at any time in the near future (apparently bitcoin miners have bots that automatically buy them below a certain amount, not sure if that's a tinfoil hat theory or not but it would explain their extreme scarcity), but 1060s have just about returned to normal and the 6GB model is just a tiny fraction behind the 580 8GB as the best GPU around until you get up to the real fancy (and real pricey) 1070/1080 type of stuff.

Note: One thing I am fecking hopeless at despite having them pointed out to me by another poster on here is identifying heatsinks on motherboards (needed for overclocking, you may have no interest not but the CPU is ready equipped for it and will last a good 5+ years so who knows what could change, and as someone who only made their first one last year I can tell you it's a lot easier than you would think). I'm quite sure that one does but prob best to have someone confirm first!

Also you can change the case very easily since that's hugely subjective - just click the link, go to 'edit this list' then select cases - all will work with this build due to PCPP's compatibility filter. Though if you want a full ATX tower with a window (like the NXT340 or whatever it's called), switch to a full ATX motherboard or the MATX one will look silly and tiny in the window as the M is for micro! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Billy86 wrote: »
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor (£186.00 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: MSI - B350M BAZOOKA Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£71.49 @ Ebuyer)
    Memory: Team - Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£119.50 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Storage: Silicon Power - Silm S55 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£41.19 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£38.97 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Inno3D - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Compact Video Card (£229.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Case: Thermaltake - Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£48.00 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA GS (UK) 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£73.48 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £808.62
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-11 10:10 BST+0100

Comes to €891.50

If any do not delivery to Ireland Parcel Motel are excellent service and will do it for €3.95 per package (all Amazon ones should though).

You're at a pretty good time compared to the last three or so months, the AMD 570/580 range don't seem to even be coming back available at any time in the near future (apparently bitcoin miners have bots that automatically buy them below a certain amount, not sure if that's a tinfoil hat theory or not but it would explain their extreme scarcity), but 1060s have just about returned to normal and the 6GB model is just a tiny fraction behind the 580 8GB as the best GPU around until you get up to the real fancy (and real pricey) 1070/1080 type of stuff.

Note: One thing I am fecking hopeless at despite having them pointed out to me by another poster on here is identifying heatsinks on motherboards (needed for overclocking, you may have no interest not but the CPU is ready equipped for it and will last a good 5+ years so who knows what could change, and as someone who only made their first one last year I can tell you it's a lot easier than you would think). I'm quite sure that one does but prob best to have someone confirm first!

Also you can change the case very easily since that's hugely subjective - just click the link, go to 'edit this list' then select cases - all will work with this build due to PCPP's compatibility filter. Though if you want a full ATX tower with a window (like the NXT340 or whatever it's called), switch to a full ATX motherboard or the MATX one will look silly and tiny in the window as the M is for micro! :)
    Motherboard is good (MSI Bazooka/Mortar range are a safe bet).

GTX 1060 3Gb at £180 is also an option.
    You can read about the differences between the 3Gb & 6Gb models here (Eurogamer).

all ordered now just waiting for delivery and fun ,
    thanks for the help KOKiki and Billy, did not need hard drives so saved about 100 so not too bad overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Nice one, be sure to post pics of the build when its done!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Tony H wrote: »
    all ordered now just waiting for delivery and fun ,
    thanks for the help KOKiki and Billy, did not need hard drives so saved about 100 so not too bad overall.

That's the way to do it, thread started and parts ordered in a single day. Unlike me fawning over the thing for weeks! :o

Pac1Man wrote: »
    That's the way to do it, thread started and parts ordered in a single day. Unlike me fawning over the thing for weeks! :o

To be honest this is my second thread about building , I hesitated the last time and the wife found something more urgent for the money ,
    thia time no hesitation, just had to decide between intel and amd ,
    so I pulled the trigger after Bobs post decided it for me ,
    ordered from overclockers and scan and both orders are dispatched already with dpd ,
    Hopefully I’ll have it by tuesday , will update and post photos next week .

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

Apologies for a slight hijacking of the thread but I'm in the same situation as the Tony. Had asked about a build and with baby arriving I just couldn't dedicate the time (or money) to building one.

I have the same budget and the parts also look good to me. I'm guessing it should run the likes of PUBG, Overwatch etc at a decent setting? If so I'll be purchasing tonight.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,241 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Apologies for a slight hijacking of the thread but I'm in the same situation as the Tony. Had asked about a build and with baby arriving I just couldn't dedicate the time (or money) to building one.

I have the same budget and the parts also look good to me. I'm guessing it should run the likes of PUBG, Overwatch etc at a decent setting? If so I'll be purchasing tonight.

Yep that set up will run anything you can through at it pretty much.

• Advertisement

no problem hijack away , the only thing I changed was the case , I got this instead

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/corsair-spec-04-midi-tower-gaming-case-black-grey-cc-9011109-ww-ca-23h-cs.html

Thanks guys now to get it sent to the parents to hide the components :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Ah nice one, build it in your parents house and then pull the old "they were throwing it out at work so i brought it home" explanation!

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Ah nice one, build it in your parents house and then pull the old "they were throwing it out at work so i brought it home" explanation!

Something like that yeah. I have a pc here which is old so I’ll say I upgraded a few parts and hope for the best

parts arrived yesterday from scan and overclock ,both were with dpd were due to arrive today ,
    Build wend well apart from a faulty drive I tried to reuse ,
    used new sad and its flying ,
    son now downloading all his games from steam , will upload photos when I can get him away from it ,
    heres pic of parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭scanlant

Sorry to be the second person to hijack the thread Tony H. This would be a good build for my own uses (PUBG, GTAV, basic productivity etc).
    What monitor would be a good pairing in this parts combination? 27 inch, >75hz preffered.

Finally managed to order all the parts this morning. Graphics card went up £40 but made some savings on a few other parts so pretty much bang on target. Looking forward to building it (first ever) and finally making use of the games that I bought on Steam, GOG, EA Origin etc and play them properly.

All the pieces arrived today and went to build together the computer. Booted it up and was met with a message saying over current has been detected on your USB device. Will shut down in 15 seconds to protect the main board. Took it apart again, rebuilt it and same message. Anyone any advice? Bear in mind this is my first build. I am in Waterford if anyone has time to look at it

check the usb ports , you might have a bent pin thats causing the short
    and first of all I would disconnect all the usb port connections and reattach them one at a time , at least them you would discover if it was the front panel or the motherboard connection ,
    dont panic yet though , i found the more things go wrong the more you learn by fixing them .

• Advertisement

you can also try booting it up out of the case with just the bare components on board and see if it boots , just so you know even when everything is working the first boot up can take a while

Tony H wrote: »
    check the usb ports , you might have a bent pin thats causing the short
    and first of all I would disconnect all the usb port connections and reattach them one at a time , at least them you would discover if it was the front panel or the motherboard connection ,
    dont panic yet though , i found the more things go wrong the more you learn by fixing them .

Thanks Tony for the quick response. So I unplugged the usb 3 cable coming from the front of the case and now I think I’m moving ahead. Will keep you guys updated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Thanks Tony for the quick response. So I unplugged the usb 3 cable coming from the front of the case and now I think I’m moving ahead. Will keep you guys updated

I'm thinking bent pin on the motherboard front panel connection then. Might be hard to fix if it's mashed.

SickBoy wrote: »
    I'm thinking bent pin on the motherboard front panel connection then. Might be hard to fix if it's mashed.

The usb 3.0 pins look absolutely fine, I ensured I was really careful installing the components. What I’ll do tomorrow is have another look at the pins and double check. For now I’m happy with having it running at the minute.

Just need to add a monitor to the system ,his birthday is coming up in a few weeks , any recommendations up to about €300 ,min screen size 27” ,
    Thanks again for all the previous help ,
    all running well but his monitor is a 12 yo led tv and its really poor .

PS fuzzy I hope you got it up and running successfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I don't know much about monitors but on a 1060 6GB 1440p or 4K would probably be a waste of time/money (unless he wants to watch a lot of media on it and is happy to scale down for gaming) but this looks quite decent at the very upper end of the budget, comes to €309 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B013YIR5WU/?tag=pcp0f-21

27" 1080p, 1ms response time, 144hz. Doesn't ship to Ireland but Parcel Motel will cover it for €3.95 if it fits in one of their lockers, or delivery to your door for €7.95 if not.

---

Also 28" 4K for €327 if there's any interest - https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/Rk98TW/aoc-monitor-u2879vf

Advertisement