Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of moving from northern ireland to Letterkenny

Options
  • 11-08-2017 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi All,
    Can i ask for your help/advice me and my family 2+2 live in northern ireland and are kinda thinking of moving to Letterkenny.  Has anyone here moved from northern ireland to ireland and what help/advice could you please give me.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'm from Letterkenny and there are hundreds of people from NI living here (as well as hundreds from Scotland, England, Europe, Africa, USA etc etc)

What help or advice are you specifically looking for? You make it sound like no one had ever moved a few miles across the border before, its not a big move, you wont stand out as being Northern Irish, most people wont know or care where your from. There is a huge influx of Northern Irish people to Letterkenny/Donegal every single day.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,628 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Maybe more about the logistics of re-registering the car, gp, school for kids, bank accounts etc.

Is that what you mean op?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

I'm from Letterkenny and there are hundreds of people from NI living here (as well as hundreds from Scotland, England, Europe, Africa, USA etc etc)

What help or advice are you specifically looking for? You make it sound like no one had ever moved a few miles across the border before, its not a big move, you wont stand out as being Northern Irish, most people wont know or care where your from. There is a huge influx of Northern Irish people to Letterkenny/Donegal every single day.

And you make it sound like the whole country just moves house without a care in the world

Should it be a few miles or a 100 miles across the border it's still a big step to the person making the move.

There may be a huge influx of NI people to Letterkenny but I'm sure they are not all moving there

• Registered Users Posts: 33,628 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It can be quite complicated and problematic to move a few miles, especially if you are moving from NI to RoI and vice versa.

Mainly due to some of the things I mentioned above. Unless of course you intend to continue sending your kids to a NI school, keeping a NI reg etc. A lot of people who moved in from NI did this, but it can bring complications.

Advertisement