Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recurring fault in sunroof

Options
  • 11-08-2017 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 29,184 ✭✭✭✭

Hoping for some advice here on how to approach a garage next week....

I bought a car new from a main dealer at the start of 2015.

In the summers of 2015, 2016 and now 2017, the sunroof has packed up. I think it's something in the switch which fails rather than the mechanism of the sunroof itself.

Each time, it's been under warranty, I've given the car to the main dealer and it's been give back fixed, until the next time it fails a year later. The failure conincides with the time of year when the sunroof is most in use.

I have no (huge) objection to having the fault fixed at no cost to me - but as it's now a regular (if rare) occurrence, I'm wondering what will happen if/when it fails again next summer and I'm out of warranty. I broached this when I was booking the car in for next week and was told something about taking out extended warranty - I'm assuming this would be at my own expense, which is not what I was after! I just said I'd discuss it properly when I bring the car in next week.

Does anyone have advice as to how best to approach this with the garage when I'm in there next week? Ideally I'd like extended warranty on the sunroof and its operation - if they can fix the bloody thing permanently it won't cost them anything, but they don't seem to be able to do that - basically I don't want to be out of pocket for a fault that has regularly occurred since the car was new.

They'll give it back to me working properly, and going on previous experience it'll be another year before it gives up again and I'll be six months out of warranty at that stage, and I'd prefer not to be trying to argue the toss at that stage.

I plan on asking just this... but what if they say "no can do"? Or suggest I buy extra warranty myself? Or whatever?

Just wondering what might be the best way to approach them with this?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

This would appear to be a reoccurring fault, try saying it to the dealer, but I would advise talking with the manufactures distributor in Ireland and explaining the issue and see what they say

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/shopping/faulty-goods/

• Registered Users Posts: 73,449 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The broken switch could be a symptom of an other fault that hasn't been diagnosed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Hoping for some advice here on how to approach a garage next week....

I bought a car new from a main dealer at the start of 2015.

In the summers of 2015, 2016 and now 2017, the sunroof has packed up. I think it's something in the switch which fails rather than the mechanism of the sunroof itself.

Each time, it's been under warranty, I've given the car to the main dealer and it's been give back fixed, until the next time it fails a year later. The failure conincides with the time of year when the sunroof is most in use.

I have no (huge) objection to having the fault fixed at no cost to me - but as it's now a regular (if rare) occurrence, I'm wondering what will happen if/when it fails again next summer and I'm out of warranty. I broached this when I was booking the car in for next week and was told something about taking out extended warranty - I'm assuming this would be at my own expense, which is not what I was after! I just said I'd discuss it properly when I bring the car in next week.

Does anyone have advice as to how best to approach this with the garage when I'm in there next week? Ideally I'd like extended warranty on the sunroof and its operation - if they can fix the bloody thing permanently it won't cost them anything, but they don't seem to be able to do that - basically I don't want to be out of pocket for a fault that has regularly occurred since the car was new.

They'll give it back to me working properly, and going on previous experience it'll be another year before it gives up again and I'll be six months out of warranty at that stage, and I'd prefer not to be trying to argue the toss at that stage.

I plan on asking just this... but what if they say "no can do"? Or suggest I buy extra warranty myself? Or whatever?

Just wondering what might be the best way to approach them with this?

Thanks in advance

I would consider the warranty reset back to 3 years on that particular issue each time it is fixed.

Tell the dealer the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,184 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

oleras wrote: »
    I would consider the warranty reset back to 3 years on that particular issue each time it is fixed.

My thinking exactly.... but......
    OSI wrote: »
    What's the model Heidi? Wonder if there's a recall in another part of the world.

It's a MINI Cooper.

Prompted by this reply, I did a bit of googling. I didn't find any recalls, but I did find in amongst all the (numerous) complaints about sunroofs packing in, advice to hold the button in the "close" position for 30 seconds, and then the "open" position - this re-initializes the switch (or something to that effect).

Just tried it, and bingo - it's working again!

So happy days for now - lets see how long it lasts :rolleyes:

Thanks OSI for nudging me in the direction of Dr. Google!

oleras wrote: »

You can't just make up the rules though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You can't just make up the rules though.

A manufacturer can just wash their hands after thw warranty is up, even though there has been ongoing issues ?

Not just this issue by the way, i see that seems to be resolved.

Yes but you couldn't expect 3 years warranty on the sunroof just because you want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,184 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Yes but you couldn't expect 3 years warranty on the sunroof just because you want it.

Agreed - but I would also expect some acknowledgement of the fact that the same fault keeps reappearing since the car was new and despite being returned to the main dealer for "repair" each time.

I wasn't going to go in all guns-ablazing to them, but equally if (when) the sunroof went again in summer 2018 should I be out of pocket because it's never been fully repaired properly?

(that's a genuine question to which I don't know the answer btw!)

Unfortunately I won't get to test their customer service levels this time as the resetting of the switch seems to have done the trick for the moment. But when I ring to cancel the booking, I'll be requesting that a note is made of the fault on their records in case it goes again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

The car has to be fundamentally fit for purpose. A faulty sunroof doesn't make a car unfit for purpose, it's purpose is to drive you around, which it can still do.

The unfortunate reality is that when the manufacturers warranty is up, any repairs carried out during the duration of the warranty do not extend beyond the original limitation, otherwise where would it end.

However the above is naturally based on the idea of the repair being successful which is generally the case.

The definition of stupidity is making the same mistake twice, so if the dealer has now put 3x switches into this car it has to be clear that the switch is a symptom and not the cause. I'd look for a second opinion from a different dealer and not mention that the switch has ever been changed. See what they do. That'll give you the best idea of what to do next.

If the second opinion dealer replace the switch, Mini must make **** switches and you should try to negotiate a deal on a box of ten of them and learn to swap them yourself. If they find a wiring fault, obstruction on the rails, water ingress etc, then hey presto, the underlying issue is solved.

Advertisement