Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing an airgun into Ireland

Options
  • 11-08-2017 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

So I'm currently living in Germany and I just bought an airgun (7.5 joules sig sauer MCX), which doesn't require a license here but I know in Ireland this would require a firearms license. From what I've seen you're given this before you receive the gun normally. But I'm wondering what the procedure would be if I ever decided to come home?
    I know I'd also need the DOJ import certificate or whatever it's called but I'm just unsure of how to get a license without actually being home and without having to do 2 trips.
    Any tips are appreciated! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Anything other than receiving your licence before importing it is a serious crime. To import it you may need to pay an RFD to act on your behalf. Best have the mods move this to Shooting as firearms are nothing to do with Airsoft.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=466

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

As you said anything over 1 joule is classed as a firearm and needs a license. You can do this two ways:
    1. Personal import whereby you license it and then import it yourself.
    2. RFD (Registered Firearm Dealer) who will import it for you and then hold it until you get it licensed.
    The first option requires you to apply for a firearm license. You then apply to the DoJ for a personal/individual import form, fill it in, and send it back with the other relevant details such as your license, the source of the firearm, etc. The import permit is sent back to you (usually within a week) and then you ship the firearm to your address.

The second option is much less stressful but will require a friendly RFD to do the work for you. It most likely will incur a fee of some sort. The RFD will deal with the import and shipping and you then license it and get it from them.

There are a few issues with the firearm. Its really an airsoft, but because of irish laws its classed as a firearm. The look of the rifle falls under the "idon'tlikethelookofthat" rule. IOW if it resembles a certain type of gun it is regardless of functionality. Another fantastic Irish law. Lastly the mag capacity. I don't know much about the firearm but Irish law says any unrestricted must not have a capacity of more than 10 rounds otherwise it's classed as restricted. Now restricted doesn't mean prohibited, just you have to apply for a restricted license which is slightly harder, means more security, etc.

So in short i'd suggest you ask yourself if such a firearm is worth the hassle of importing and licensing.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cadpat_cowboy

Cass wrote: »
    As you said anything over 1 joule is classed as a firearm and needs a license. You can do this two ways:
    1. Personal import whereby you license it and then import it yourself.
    2. RFD (Registered Firearm Dealer) who will import it for you and then hold it until you get it licensed.
    The first option requires you to apply for a firearm license. You then apply to the DoJ for a personal/individual import form, fill it in, and send it back with the other relevant details such as your license, the source of the firearm, etc. The import permit is sent back to you (usually within a week) and then you ship the firearm to your address.

The second option is much less stressful but will require a friendly RFD to do the work for you. It most likely will incur a fee of some sort. The RFD will deal with the import and shipping and you then license it and get it from them.

There are a few issues with the firearm. Its really an airsoft, but because of irish laws its classed as a firearm. The look of the rifle falls under the "idon'tlikethelookofthat" rule. IOW if it resembles a certain type of gun it is regardless of functionality. Another fantastic Irish law. Lastly the mag capacity. I don't know much about the firearm but Irish law says any unrestricted must not have a capacity of more than 10 rounds otherwise it's classed as restricted. Now restricted doesn't mean prohibited, just you have to apply for a restricted license which is slightly harder, means more security, etc.

So in short i'd suggest you ask yourself if such a firearm is worth the hassle of importing and licensing.

You sure it's airsoft I think Germany have a .5 joule limit on airsoft guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It's a .177 co2 air rifle it's definitely not an airsoft gas gun

I sometimes confuse or use the terminology when speaking about air guns.

The "gun" fires 0.177 pellets and has a muzzle velocity of between 430 fps to a stated max of 700fps. Anything over 320 (iirc) is over 1 joule and therefore a firearm.

As soon as it meets the criteria for a firearm you are subject to all the conditions mentioned above.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Cass wrote: »

The "gun" fires 0.177 pellets and has a muzzle velocity of between 430 fps to a stated max of 700fps. Anything over 320 (iirc) is over 1 joule and therefore a firearm.

Cass whats the actual figure for firearms for airsoft anything over 328fps with a .20 gram bb is considered a firearm ,
    How does it work for the above .177 air rifle or air rifle , pistols in fps before it's considered a firearm needing licensing

Gatling wrote: »
    Cass whats the actual figure for firearms for airsoft anything over 328fps with a .20 gram bb is considered a firearm ,
    Yes.
    How does it work for the above .177 air rifle or air rifle , pistols in fps before it's considered a firearm needing licensing
    0.177 inch is 4.5mm. Airsoft Bs come in 4.5 mm and higher. An air rifle that produces over 328fps using a projectile weighing more than 0.2g is a firearm.

So it's not down to size of the projectile, its a case of the weight of it and the muzzle velocity.

Think that answers your question but if not just ask and i'll try elaborate.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Gatling wrote: »

The figure is 1 Joule. Anything above is a firearm, anything below is not a firearm. How the projectile gets that energy (air, igniting powder, etc.) doesn't matter.

That's measuring muzzle energy – which is kinetic energy – so (0.5 * m * v * v) where m is the mass of the projectile in kg and v is the velocity in meters per second.

A 0.2g bb is 0.0002kg and 328fps is 99.9744 m/s.

So, (0.5 * 0.0002kg * 99.9744m/s * 99.9744m/s) = 0.9994 Joules which is just under the limit.

You can have a lighter projectile and go faster, or a heavier projectile and go slower. So long as it stays under 1 Joule it's fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Flog it in germany and buy another over here. Loads of airsoft toy shops over here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

gunny123 wrote: »
    Flog it in germany and buy another over here. Loads of airsoft toy shops over here.

There's a big difference between airsoft and air gun. The OP has a rifle that fires lead pellets.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Only good thing about this is.As Germany does not consider airsoft or "air weapons"[direct translation] firearms.There will be no need for special couriers.it can be sent via normal post.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement