Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone integrated with network

Options
  • 11-08-2017 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Is there a way to put your home phone on the network so that I could use standard phones or have calls routed over the wifi to our mobiles? We've got a wired network going through all the rooms with server in the garage and wifi coverage across the whole house.
    Ideally I would like to be able to answer the house phone via the mobile rather than having to run through the house to find the cordless phone. Would also like to have a voip setup for the office so I could route work calls directly to that phone during working hours.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Is there a way to put your home phone on the network so that I could use standard phones or have calls routed over the wifi to our mobiles? We've got a wired network going through all the rooms with server in the garage and wifi coverage across the whole house.
    Ideally I would like to be able to answer the house phone via the mobile rather than having to run through the house to find the cordless phone. Would also like to have a voip setup for the office so I could route work calls directly to that phone during working hours.

Either go VoIP completely, which means you can use an app on your mobiles and answer tje house number and office number on your mobiles (this will even work when you are not in wifi area).

Or else if can get and ATA which is a hardware did vice that converts an analogs phone line to VoIP for you to connect to within you lan.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭joebloggs123

Thanks will look into this. Don't want to have to go with a VOIP service in addition to my land line provider, looking to make the most of the current connection. Will also look into the ATA, I thought that was something for using an existing phone with a VOIP service

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You could simply use call forwarding from your landline to your mobile:

http://support.eir.ie/phone/servicescallforwarding

Note that this would involve you paying for the forwarded call from your landline to your mobile, charged as a mobile call. However if your landline calling package includes free mobile calls then it wouldn't be too much of a worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭joebloggs123

Call forwarding isn't really an option due to poor signal. I was hoping for something that could be operated via the wifi and the home network rather than the mobile network. We always carry the mobile phones so it would be convenient to answer house calls on them rather than running about trying to find the phone.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Call forwarding isn't really an option due to poor signal. I was hoping for something that could be operated via the wifi and the home network rather than the mobile network. We always carry the mobile phones so it would be convenient to answer house calls on them rather than running about trying to find the phone.

Virgin Media use to have something like this, but it looks like they have discontinued it.

I think few people were using it any more as most people just call mobile to mobile now.

Many just buy some DECT landline phones and sprinkle them around your home. Save you running around the house.

These ones look interesting as they can link to your mobile:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-KX-TGH263-Link2Mobile-Bluetooth-Cordless/dp/B01LXKW1CL/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1502724461&sr=8-4&keywords=dect+to+mobile

Note I haven't used them, so I can't recommend them one way or another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Thanks will look into this. Don't want to have to go with a VOIP service in addition to my land line provider, looking to make the most of the current connection. Will also look into the ATA, I thought that was something for using an existing phone with a VOIP service

An ATA can be used to convert an analogue telephone line into a VoIP line which you can then configure a softphone/smartphine app to register to. There are two different types.

Advertisement