Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do most teens work during the summer?

• 11-08-2017 12:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭

I'm not a parent but apparently my mother does say that a lot of her colleagues in her workplace say that there teens work whether part time/full time/unpaid/paid etc..

Is this true? Would it be abnormal not to do any type of work?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

jeanjolie wrote: »
    I'm not a parent but apparently my mother does say that a lot of her colleagues in her workplace say that there teens work whether part time/full time/unpaid/paid etc..

Is this true? Would it be abnormal not to do any type of work?

My daughter is 16 and would work if she could get a job (I'd allow it if it was a safe environment and not crazy hours etc). She couldn't find a job this year but my husband has organised a job for her next summer. I'm the mean time she babysits pretty regularly and gets great money from that!
    She does help out in the house that bit more than when she's in school!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Back when I was a teen, I would have said that most teens (15+) would have worked.

With laws preventing minors working in pubs etc. these days, I would expect more teens these days to be at loose ends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I always worked whenever i could get something since i was 9-10
    Paper routes, selling strawberries, cutting grass, washing cars, and as i got older it was legit jobs (paying taxes and all, haha) fast food places, petrol stations.
    Our Dad also started a small business from home for us to purely make some extra money and buy our own stuff. We got all the money for it. Maybe 10 hours work a week for €50 which wasnt bad 15 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Back when I was a teen at the turn of the century it was normal to have a part-time or summer job. We used to have great craic and it was a great way to get to meet new people and gain new experiences. It was easy enough to get a job, mainly in cafes, fast food, retail, small shops. My first job was at the deli counter of a petrol station. My brother, near in age to myself had a Saturday job in a hardware store for his teens. However my sister is a bit younger and when she came to mid-late teens to get a part-time job - she found it impossible. The jobs just weren't there or they wouldn't hire school goers. She found it easier to get a part-time job when she was in college.
    Those types of part-time jobs just aren't there anymore. Since I was a teen, the recession happened and people are doing jobs which they are over qualified for to make ends meet. People have also immigrated to Ireland and have are taken on many of the minimum wage jobs which teenagers did previously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

I had my kid in my office this year for a day a week, I work in a International NGO (Overseas Aid) and he got to see what life is like for kids his age in the poorest countries. Not so much complaining about lag on a PS4 over wifi anymore when but for chance he could be sleeping in a gutter in India. He also was volunteering so not being paid....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭Wood

I worked every summer from the age of about 12 until i left school and got a full time job.

Mostly building site labouring, some pub work, laying tarmac with travellers, cinema, cleaning, anything that was going. It instilled a strong work ethic and the idea that if you wanted something you go out and work hard to get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I always worked during the summers, had my first summer job at 13, worked in a hairdressers on Grafton St for the princely sum of 45p an hour!

My 16 year old niece and 17 year old nephew both worked this summer, she as a waitress and he in Bank of Ireland. They loved it, having their own few bob made them feel very independent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Never worked when I was a teen and never wanted to.
    Why would I waste my free/off-school time on working.
    My parents were not rich, but were happy to provide me with all the basic stuff.
    I only started working summer jobs at 22 years of age and then full-time at 26.

No point hurrying if you don't have to. Take a time to enjoy your life once you're young and healthy.

CiniO wrote: »
    I only started working summer jobs at 22 years of age and then full-time at 26...................

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Keisha07

My kids have both worked since they were 17 before then no one was interested in employing them, that could have been that the economy was still struggling then but they got a few Bob babysitting cutting lawns and the like since they were 14 ish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭AidanadiA

I managed a restaurant for 5 years up until last year, my daughter(now 17) worked with me every summer break, Christmas break and midterms. She carried on after I left last year, but the owners closed down the venue I ran this summer so she was left a little idle, only getting the odd evening or festival in some of the other venue's my boss has. She managed to do some other odd jobs, like egg run's (with the local egg lady) and some babysitting. She'd love a secure part-time job but they are few and far between.

While managing the restaurant I'd get teenagers in all the time looking for work. I took on a good few over the years and some of them not many would stay on and are still working for my old boss.

Advertisement