Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart home

Options
  • 11-08-2017 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi all,

I'm about to strip back an old house and rebuild. Before I do this I'm wondering what are all the clever must haves for a new modern house in terms of sound systems and any other quirky techie Smart home stuff?

Any input or suggestions greatly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

My two recommendations would be Google Home and a Mesh based WiFi network if you're planning to use multiple WiFi connected devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭17larsson

Look up Loxone. It's a great system

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭irishbuzz

... and a Mesh based WiFi network if you're planning to use multiple WiFi connected devices.

Surely if this is a new build it would be better to run Cat5a/6 cables instead to wireless access points. Mesh networks are really a fallback solution when you can't run cable.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

irishbuzz wrote: »
    Surely if this is a new build it would be better to run Cat5a/6 cables instead to wireless access points. Mesh networks are really a fallback solution when you can't run cable.

Absolutely, wireless mesh networks are poor and should only be used in a last resort.

For a new build I'd always recommend running multiple cat6 cables, even if you don't initially use them. You can then use multiple wireless access points around the house, but which connect back to a central switch using the cat6. Vastly superior to mesh networks.

If you have to use wireless, then I'd recommend one of the systems that uses a separate dedicated radio for the wireless backhaul.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭ozmo

onion82 wrote: »
    Any input or suggestions greatly appreciated

Not IOT - but while you are doing wiring - a ceiling mounted projector is always great fun - we get a great kick out of movies and games still on it. We didn't bother with a screen - we just painted a nice blank wall a suitable colour.
    Just needed a hdmi cable and power in the ceiling and some wall mounted speakers - hiding all wires in the wall.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Put your wireless access points in the ceilings, run Cat5e/6 to the rooms you use most. It's the best place for them, gives great coverage for hand held devices

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

One of the best wifi systems I've ever used. You'll need to run cat 5e/6 back to your main comms(source of internet).
    Tou get 3 in a pack and you can add more later but 3 should be more than enough for complete coverage throughout even a very large house
    http://www.4gon.co.uk/ubiquiti-unifi-uap-3-pack-p-5265.html

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

One other thing to consider.

It may be regulation now but run neutrals to all switches.

I dont have them in my house so cant install any smart light switches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

dfdream wrote: »
    One other thing to consider.

It may be regulation now but run neutrals to all switches.

I dont have them in my house so cant install any smart light switches.

Some z-wave modules e.g. FIBARO Dimmer2 will work without neutrals in conjunction with various light switches of your choosing and an appropriate hub.

Advertisement