Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Lock Recommendations

Options
  • 11-08-2017 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭

Anyone reccommend a bike lock in or around €50?

I would prefer an armoured cable type that I can wear around my shoulder and arm as opposed to a D-lock which would be mounted to the frame when carrying.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Liam28

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

That's a good website.

Don't think you can get anything really good for €50, except for D-locks. Chainreactioncycles have the Abus Bordo 6000 for about €50; folds up very small, but it's nowhere near as good as a good D-lock.

Hiplok Gold might suit you, but more like €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

A cable lock, pretty much every cable lock, armoured or not, is pointless.
    They all can be cut with a bolt cutter in seconds...the German police call them "bicycle gift wraps":D

To get decent protection you either need a really heavy chain or a good D-lock...and at 50 quid neither of which is going to come up to gold standard.

Personally I really like my D-lock with holder http://thebestbikelock.com/best-u-lock/abus-granit-x-plus-540-review/
    Cost me < 80 shipped, including holder.
    It sits really well in the holder, doesn't move or rattle and is much lighter than a chain of equivalent security level

424945.JPG

You can sometimes get a very good D-lock on special offer.

This is just over €70 but I've seen it on sale for fairly close to €50.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/kryptonite-fahgettaboudit-mini-lock/rp-prod18394

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Chains and cable locks aren't worth it. I watched a guy cut off my Kryptonite cable lock faster than the time it took me to lock it on the bike.

I use a Kryptonite evolution nowadays and the bike was interfered with once but never taken. It's a bit heavy but thems the trade offs.... The New York mini version as above is supposed to be great although I prefer the length of the evolution.

• Advertisement

You can get some great chain locks. I got one because it's often hard to lock a cargo bike with a standard D-lock/U-lock, because it can be hard to reach whatever you're locking to. I got an Abus Granit CityChain X Plus. I think it's rated about the same as a Fahgettaboudit. But it's well over twice as expensive. That's the real problem with chains; you have to pay an awful lot to get a good one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

tomasrojo wrote: »
    You can sometimes get a very good D-lock on special offer.
    i wonder how much difference quality makes in a D-lock; i would have thought the sort of kit which can get through a cheap one would also get through an expensive one. your main defence is simple dissuasion, i'd guess, rather than the actual quality of the lock.

There's a good explanation of the differences between gold-rated locks and the rest on the website linked above:

http://thebestbikelock.com/

The gold-rated locks usually can't be beaten with bolt cutters, and even give power tools, other than angle grinders, a good fight, and some of them damage angle grinder discs even in defeat.

Here's the explanation I read before:
    In the past, Sold Secure stated that a Bronze rating was for locks that could withstand “a minute with basic tools”, a Silver rating was for locks that could resist for “three minutes with a wider selection of tools” and Gold was for locks that lasted “five minutes with a sophisticated array of tools”.

Now they say:
    Gold rated locks “offer the highest level of security”
    Silver rated locks “offer a compromise between security and cost”
    Bronze rated locks “offer defense against the opportunist thief”
    http://thebestbikelock.com/best-bike-lock/sold-secure-gold-bike-locks/

I think the former wording is about right, except that they can't guarantee five minutes, I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭wannabecraig

peasant wrote: »
    ard.

Personally I really like my D-lock with holder http://thebestbikelock.com/best-u-lock/abus-granit-x-plus-540-review/
    Cost me < 80 shipped, including holder.

I got this too after my other bike was stolen. It's heavy but seems very good. Still don't feel happy about locking my bike anywhere now after the recent loss!

• Advertisement
Advertisement