Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fifa 18 Ultimate Team

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Guffy wrote:
    If everyone played a balanced/attacking game great but there are times when keeping the ball and moving it about is necessary.

Exactly part of the game to try and counteract that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Guffy wrote: »
    The level of hatred to possession football is mad. Id often use possession football for 2 reasons.

1. Counter the high pressusre high line defence where the other player chases you down with 2 players every time. Have everyone out of position and counter attack.

2. To move defenders around for the many people who play ultra defensive. Running down the wing and croosing to one or two forwards in a box of 10 defenders is pointless, as is trying to thread a ball through 2 banks of 4 to an attacker.

If everyone played a balanced/attacking game great but there are times when keeping the ball and moving it about is necessary.

See, you mention counter attacking and ultra defensive, which is grand. You have reasons beyond "I'm just going to get 90% possession and be happy with one shot in the game".

I'm talking about the people who score a single goal (hopefully) and then effectively stop playing, and have no intentions of ever trying to attack or score, or go ultra negative and just don't want to actually play. It's ultra boring to play against, AND very difficult to actually do anything about, and I just can't be bothered watching someone else play keep away.

I often only get 30 minutes here or there to play, so I'm not going to spend half of it watching the ball passed around by someone who has no intentions of letting me play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Lord TSC wrote: »
    See, you mention counter attacking and ultra defensive, which is grand. You have reasons beyond "I'm just going to get 90% possession and be happy with one shot in the game".

I'm talking about the people who score a single goal (hopefully) and then effectively stop playing, and have no intentions of ever trying to attack or score, or go ultra negative and just don't want to actually play. It's ultra boring to play against, AND very difficult to actually do anything about, and I just can't be bothered watching someone else play keep away.

I often only get 30 minutes here or there to play, so I'm not going to spend half of it watching the ball passed around by someone who has no intentions of letting me play.

You must be unlucky pal because virtually every game I play ends up in a goalfest.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Adam1100

Gold 3 rewards....35k pack.....Robert Lewandowski!!! 3rd big pull of the year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

That's not tiki-taka though, so I think all that was wrong with your post is that the wording was a little off (or the post you were agreeing with, rather). Those types you mentioned are the absolute worst in fairness. Personally, I love to get the ball in my own half and work it up the pitch, probing the defence and waiting for a gap to exploit. So I'd usually be playing the ball across the final third a lot waiting for a mistake. Anyone doing the same in their own third is a tosser, though plain and simple, it's only excusable if your opponent is an expert at pressing the back line and even then you're just waiting for an out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

We should get a league going amongst guys on here,anyone interested in setting one up,I would but I'm honestly useless at that sort of thing I can just about turn the console on

shamrock55 wrote: »
    We should get a league going amongst guys on here,anyone interested in setting one up,I would but I'm honestly useless at that sort of thing I can just about turn the console on

There is a ps4 league and we have recently set up a Xbox one 12 team league there wouldn't be enough regulars on each console in this thread to keep it to a ultimate team league.

jayo26 wrote: »
    There is a ps4 league and we have recently set up a Xbox one 12 team league there wouldn't be enough regulars on each console in this thread to keep it to a ultimate team league.

Fair enough,I didn't realise there was one on the go already

Fair enough,I didn't realise there was one on the go already

What console you on pal?

What console you on pal?

Ps4

• Advertisement

Ps4

There is a big ps4 league on here have a look and see how ya join. It's good playing against people you semi know instead of randomers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Guffy wrote: »
    The level of hatred to possession football is mad. Id often use possession football for 2 reasons.

1. Counter the high pressusre high line defence where the other player chases you down with 2 players every time. Have everyone out of position and counter attack.

2. To move defenders around for the many people who play ultra defensive. Running down the wing and croosing to one or two forwards in a box of 10 defenders is pointless, as is trying to thread a ball through 2 banks of 4 to an attacker.

I've nothing against possession football and play it myself for the majority of the game. My problem with it, at least before the patch, was that possession football did not resemble real football in anyway. More like a game laser ping pong, you can literally turn 180 degrees and fire a driven pass straight to your team mates feet, and not even take a touch and pass it again etc. It was abusing the game mechanics. The problem with it was that it was too hard to counter.

It's definitely better post patch, they've reined in the passing so it's actually a bit of challenge rather than spamming pass. Also lowered the speed of the ball when it's passed.

There is a big ps4 league on here have a look and see how ya join. It's good playing against people you semi know instead of randomers.

Can't seem to find it??

Can't seem to find it??

Crap sorry I just noticed it's pes and not fifa sorry mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Swear the daily knockout tournament is bull****. Had a game there where I had 25 shots, 19 on target and 3 goals. My opponent had 12 shots 7 on target and 3 goals...he wins 4-3 on pens.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Packed IF Batshuayi, Miranda and Bellerin from my WL rewards

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Just played a game with one of them a holes scores runs into the corner with his hand cupping his ear. I just can't handle Joshua King... Luckily his goal was to make it 5-2 to me.. Idiot.

My team is the definition of average have 2 that I swap around to keep fitness up. Both Premier league teams with players that I have either packed or bought for cheap
    4-3-3 (2) for both.
    Butland
    ZappaCosta - Lindelof - Keane - Daniels
    Romeu
    Propper - shaqiri
    Boufal - musa - walcott

Cech
    Coleman - Williams - Stones - Moreno
    Ndidi
    Doucoure - Shelvey
    Izquierdo - Carroll - Ox Chamberlain

2 weak links are Boufal and Williams but they aren't doing too bad have 100k to spend as well most expensive player I've bought is Musa for 2.2k and then Keane for 1.5k
    One of the more fun ultimate team games for me as I'm not taking it to serious have only played 10 games in online season and played one week of squad battles. Best player has been Andy Carroll or Davy Propper

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Can't seem to find it??

The mods usually run a league 3-4 times a year on PS4. There will be one along soon and it's a bit of fun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Got Kane, Hummels and Morata from my Gold 3 WL rewards.

Proceeded to be bet out the gate of Division 4.

I'm really struggling this year with the gameplay, I've never really used Custom Tactics but I've always been competitive in Div 1/got Gold 1 in the WL. Games where I'm on top, I never feel like I'm actually better, I just feel like I get more strokes of luck. I'm not beating anyone by more than a goal. Anytime I move up the pitch, it's like every other team has two banks of 4 waiting for me, while everytime they move up, my back 4 has pushed to the halfway line and they just 1-2 with Rashford + Jesus and they're through.

I also feel I lose to every PL side going, yet refuse to get one myself!

What tactics are people using this year? 4231 and 41212 seem to be the go to ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Swear the daily knockout tournament is bull****. Had a game there where I had 25 shots, 19 on target and 3 goals. My opponent had 12 shots 7 on target and 3 goals...he wins 4-3 on pens.

Its too late for this week but if you’re a wee bit evil like me theres an easy way to get into weekend league

I had every intention of qualifying properly, but being 2-0 down after 3 mins to a far superior guy i unplugged my ethernet cable from the ps4. Went into the link below because i had “connection issues”, and in seconds i had weekend league access

https://help.ea.com/en/self-service/fut-championship/

• Advertisement

Oh man, just saw the Award Winner Giroud card, and he looks sexy. Slow, sure, but I wonder what he'd do at CF with fast wingers either side.

Got Kane, Hummels and Morata from my Gold 3 WL rewards.

Proceeded to be bet out the gate of Division 4.

I'm really struggling this year with the gameplay, I've never really used Custom Tactics but I've always been competitive in Div 1/got Gold 1 in the WL. Games where I'm on top, I never feel like I'm actually better, I just feel like I get more strokes of luck. I'm not beating anyone by more than a goal. Anytime I move up the pitch, it's like every other team has two banks of 4 waiting for me, while everytime they move up, my back 4 has pushed to the halfway line and they just 1-2 with Rashford + Jesus and they're through.

I also feel I lose to every PL side going, yet refuse to get one myself!

What tactics are people using this year? 4231 and 41212 seem to be the go to ones?

Jesus Christ are you me!!
    I use 433 and like you every time I move forward I'm met with clusters of players on the edge of the area,when I then inevitably lose the ball they are racing towards my defence who are practically on the half way line,one ball down the sides or through the middle and my defence is all over the shop with them having acres of space,I have to work my nuts off to have a shot which will be blocked,saved,or hit the crossbar/post,while they just breeze through me,I'm not a bad player either to be fair I can hold my own just not for long enough

Did someone here say they did the Rui Costa SBC? I'm tempted, cause he looks a sick card, the type I'd be able to fit into any and every team for the rest of the year. Just worry about forking out 400k permenantly

Did someone here say they did the Rui Costa SBC? I'm tempted, cause he looks a sick card, the type I'd be able to fit into any and every team for the rest of the year. Just worry about forking out 400k permenantly

I bought his 88 card pal and it's really good his free kicks are awesome. I can't justify spending that much doing an sbc for an untradeable player. Come the end of the season he won't be even close to been the best player you could get for 300k never mind 400.

Jesus Christ are you me!!
    I use 433 and like you every time I move forward I'm met with clusters of players on the edge of the area,when I then inevitably lose the ball they are racing towards my defence who are practically on the half way line,one ball down the sides or through the middle and my defence is all over the shop with them having acres of space,I have to work my nuts off to have a shot which will be blocked,saved,or hit the crossbar/post,while they just breeze through me,I'm not a bad player either to be fair I can hold my own just not for long enough

I'm the very same.. people giving out about players trying to pass and pass and more pass but I don't blame anyone for it because it's the only way to try get around his pressing teams its all I come up against in the weekend league so far.

No matter where I get possession on the pitch I have two or 3 of the opposition's players surrounding my man it's impossible to deal with without trying to frustrate him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Still haven't lost a game online (13 wins and 1 draw nothing too exciting) but was tempted to swap a few players around and noticed I had Xhaka of Arsenal so was going to put him in my team instwad of Doucoure of Watford but besides passing doucoure is better at everything and is rated 4 points lower? Makes no sense

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Its too late for this week but if you’re a wee bit evil like me theres an easy way to get into weekend league

I had every intention of qualifying properly, but being 2-0 down after 3 mins to a far superior guy i unplugged my ethernet cable from the ps4. Went into the link below because i had “connection issues”, and in seconds i had weekend league access

https://help.ea.com/en/self-service/fut-championship/

Ah balls. Going to save that for next week so :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I did it and yes he's bloody awesome.
    I have no regrets whatsoever about it being an untradeable card. He's one of the best midfielders in the game with pace, passing, strength, long passing, long shots, 4* skills/wf plus his ball control is fantastic. In 9 years of playing FUT no other midfielder has ever felt as complete. He finishing is only 75 but I call bs on that...it feels more like 90.
    I love playing with him and it gives me great enjoyment.
    IF all you care about is winning, pass pass shoot etc then by all means wait till the end of the year or so for TOTS cards but if you like to bamboozle your opponents with skill,passing etc then Costa's your man. Maradona is frankly the more expensive version of Costa.
    Get his loan card and try him out :)
    Its more like 500-550k unless you have some of the players already.
    My next one is Ferdinand 85. He's supposed to be absolutely unbelievable with 84 pace.

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Still haven't lost a game online (13 wins and 1 draw nothing too exciting) but was tempted to swap a few players around and noticed I had Xhaka of Arsenal so was going to put him in my team instwad of Doucoure of Watford but besides passing doucoure is better at everything and is rated 4 points lower? Makes no sense

Welcome to ultimate team none of it makes sense sometimes especially players ratings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Mbappe

I'd hold off and invest in anticipation of the Maradona/Ronaldinho/Bergkamp SBCs for a #10 player.

Advertisement