Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a waterproof handlebar bag for bike touring

Options
  • 11-08-2017 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of getting the Ortlieb Ultimate 6. Not sure whether to get medium or large.
    Not many seem to stock it.

It seems to be the most recommended.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I have a Carradice Super C handlebar bag. 7 litres and a handy map cover comes with it. Also shoulder strap and plenty of pockets (internal and external) Good solid fixing system. Never moves from position and easy to clip on/off

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    I have a Carradice Super C handlebar bag. 7 litres and a handy map cover comes with it. Also shoulder strap and plenty of pockets (internal and external) Good solid fixing system. Never moves from position and easy to clip on/off

Where would one put a bike computer or a light?

I am trying to plan a bit ahead. Don't think I'd need the light but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Where would one put a bike computer or a light?

I am trying to plan a bit ahead. Don't think I'd need the light but you never know.

There is still room on the handlebar for a computer. It comes with an attachment for a light which clips on the bottom of the bag. I have never used it.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭The Ging and I

Ortlieb is the business. Used them for years with out a problem.
    The big issue with bar bags is if you put too much weight into them they will affect your steering unless your frame was designed for front loading.
    I use them for the small stuff maps keys nibbles etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Ortlieb is the business. Used them for years with out a problem.
    The big issue with bar bags is if you put too much weight into them they will affect your steering unless your frame was designed for front loading.
    I use them for the small stuff maps keys nibbles etc.

That is what I am thinking, just handy to pause, flip the lid and get quick access. The Super C seems to have 2 quick release buckles so don't think you could open with 1 hand.

These bags look quite big. I wonder do they act like a sail in the wind.

Ortlieb seem to have a few choices. They are pretty expensive given that you would get 2 rear panniers for €30 more.

The compact seems to be too small and looks more like a purse.

I am thinking the ultimate medium size would be about right. The large would be very big looking.

The bag would be handy to store a phone, wallet, map and bits to eat.

• Advertisement
Advertisement