Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

achill quest 2017.

Options
  • 11-08-2017 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

doing achill for 1st time this year and just a few questions if anyone can help me out. new to kayah is it hard to get hang off? I row in gym alot but no it different. also with the bike. I have both a road and tt bike. which best to use on the roads? should I use cycling shoes or just go with straps on the bike. run is not a problem as I'm mainly a runner. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 flash84962

I'm guessing you're doing the long one?

I have done it the last two years. Great race. The run is class!

Anyway, kayak is sound enough. Probably easier to jump on a double than a single. I think last year it took about 25 minutes.

The run then is up over the top of the cliff and around to the booster station on minaun. It's a steep descent back to the beach. It can be slippy on the desent and there are a few holes to avoid

Back into transition and stick on the bike shoes. I'd go with the road bike. You have to cycle out of keel back towards achill sound which can be busy with traffic, onto a tight hilly road, and then there's the sheep....so better with a more heads up position.

Rack the bike and either run to the finish line in the bike shoes or socks, tis less than 100m on grass.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

Try to get out for a spin in a sit On Top Kayak in advance if you can
    Great for the confidence but easy to muddle the kayak section through if you are not too worried about the time.
    Get into a double as they are generally faster than singles unless you are a super paddler.

Use trail shoes for the run as can be slippy in places and Better grip => confidence => time saved and less chance of falling in general

Use clip in shoes and regular road bike

FROM Race Info on Website: - TT bikes or bikes fitted with Tri Bars of any type may not be used

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Excuseless wrote: »

FROM Race Info on Website: - TT bikes or bikes fitted with Tri Bars of any type may not be used

I see this statement in a lot of adventure races and wonder is it ever enforced.....did a quick search for photos from last years Achill race and didnt have to spendling before i found these....

http://actionphotography.ie/image/200339/159370/
    http://actionphotography.ie/image/200339/159399/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

TT bikes or bikes fitted with Tri Bars of any type may not be used

well thats an absolute balls... was planning on entering .. will need a long think about it now.. i wonder is it new for this year .. ive done it a few times on tt bike and on road bike with tri bars..

what would annoy me more is to land down with the road bike and see lads on tt bikes ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Newtown90

TT bikes / Tri bars ruling hasn't been enforced in Killarney or Glendalough this year so far anyhow even though that rule has been in!

Really looking forward to Achill this year, went last year while injured supporting a few buddies and caught the bug from the buzz.

• Advertisement

Newtown90 wrote: »
    TT bikes / Tri bars ruling hasn't been enforced in Killarney or Glendalough this year so far anyhow even though that rule has been in!

Really looking forward to Achill this year, went last year while injured supporting a few buddies and caught the bug from the buzz.

can see a few chancing the tri bars in the killarney photos, didnt see any full tt bikes though.. if its enforced properly and the same for everyone then its grand,
    i just have my doubts that it will be..

yeah theres a good buzz at those races, still havent decided though, didnt go last year with the price increase, was warming up to it this year but the bike thing might put me off ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Of the Quest Adventure series races, it would seem only Achill has the ban on TT/Tri Bars.....no mention of it in the race informtion on the websites for the other races...

Might be worth dropping them an email for clarity

yeah, just got on to them , new for this year .. health and safety .. as long as its applied to everyone then thats fine with me...

itd be in their own interest to flag it up a bit more.. on facebook and maybe send out an email to anyone entered.. itd avoid a bit of hassle

could be some craic with lads landing down from afar with the tt bike to be told they cant race .. a lot of these lads cant spend 5 minutes paying attention to a race briefing never mind read the rules off a website..

looking at last years results, was the course different to the previous year .. theres a big difference in times, guts of 20 mins.. looks like the run kayak run might be different.. ? maybe a calm day versus a windy day.. 20 mins is a lot though..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭fletch

woody1 wrote: »
    looking at last years results, was the course different to the previous year .. theres a big difference in times, guts of 20 mins.. looks like the run kayak run might be different.. ? maybe a calm day versus a windy day.. 20 mins is a lot though..
    Pretty much the same although slightly shorter kayak last year. I do recall a serious tailwind into the finish in 2015 so I presume that tailwind was a headwind too which may have slowed down times.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 flash84962

There was a change form 2015 to 2016 alright. When quest took over from the old Roar event.

In 2015 you had to run back through transition after the kayak, then onto the beach. In 2016 it was straight onto the beach and up the hill!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

The ban on TT bikes and Tri bars is new for this year. Don't think any of the other 3 races have a cycle course to suit TT bike but I haven't done achill so I can't comment. The 1st 3 Sport bikes in Killarney had Tri bars in March but saw none in Glendalough. Had notices at sign on in Glendalough saying there were none allowed though.
    Think there were a lot of spills in Achill last year with tri bikes and that may be the problem. Few fallers in DAR Sport too this year I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jngm

Sorry to hijack the thread, does anyone have any info on the bike transition; if we switch to clip ons in elite do we have to carry our runners on the bike leg too - my bro-in-law did Glendalough and in 99% sure that is the case. Again it is difficult to tell from the pictures.

the bike leg is the last section of the race, you do re-rack the bike and run about 100 yards across the finish line but its all on grass, you can do it in your socks or leave your bike shoes on .. whatever suits .. but you dont need to bring your runners with you on the bike

• Registered Users Posts: 32 dougal13

when I enquired bout tt bikes this the response I got from quest ireland

Thank you for your message. No im afraid tt bikes and road bikes with Tri bars are not allowed due to heath and safety. Bikes will be checked before participants begin and will not be allowed part-take if they have tt bikes or tri bars :) I apologise for any inconvenience and please let me know if you have any more questions.

Laoise

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭wannabecraig

So what kind of gloves would you use here, just standard cycling gloves?
    You defo need gloves for the Kayaking part I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭fletch

Never bothered with gloves before...and don't recall seeing anyone else wearing them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 WANDERING WONDER

You certainly wont need gloves for the kayak but you might need them for the bike if its raining heavy
    Anyone know what the 45km cycle is like ? How hard is it ? Is it as bad or worse than Molls gap in Killarney haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

If you're not a strong cyclist it's a tough cycle. Never done Quest but I always found the cycle for Achill was the toughest of the lot if you find yourself alone.

It's certainly a course the benefits a good cyclist over a good runner anyway.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    If you're not a strong cyclist it's a tough cycle. Never done Quest but I always found the cycle for Achill was the toughest of the lot if you find yourself alone.

It's certainly a course the benefits a good cyclist over a good runner anyway.
    Thanks !  crap Ive been worrying more about the run than the cycle !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

I have been more worried about the cycle than the run my self :) I signed up months ago with my hubby and he picked the long one :eek: so have been working on running and cycling ever since I am so glad I have been cycling on hills for training. !!!

only 2 more weeks to go

• Advertisement

The last few events I have had them with me and used them, I am keeping an eye on the weather for 2 weeks time because if the weather is bad you will need them for the bike to stop the hands freezing off you Achill can be wild if the wind is blowing and it is raining.

I really hope we get good weather ! we got amazing weather for glendalough and it just made the atmosphere even better ! Under 2 weeks to go now and getting really nervous ! Should I be starting to hold back on the training yet ? 
    And if one of ye dont mind can I tie a rope on to yer bikes so i can get up the hills ......dear god what have I let myself in for !!!

I really hope we get good weather ! we got amazing weather for glendalough and it just made the atmosphere even better ! Under 2 weeks to go now and getting really nervous ! Should I be starting to hold back on the training yet ? 
    And if one of ye dont mind can I tie a rope on to yer bikes so i can get up the hills ......dear god what have I let myself in for !!!

:D wonder would they notice ;) LOL feeling a bit nervous myself I am planning on taking it a little easier next week have a long cycle on Saturday and LSR on Sunday that will be it until next week, plan for next week train Tuesday, Wednesday all easy and rest till Saturday!

I will be watching the weather closely this week!! and getting gear and food organized:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

Any tickets going???

I plotted out the cycle route for the expert route :) I am sure I have the start and finishing spot wrong but you get an idea on hills https://www.plotaroute.com/route/489060`

Brill , thanks for sharing ! Getting excited now ! Still not sure if I should be more nervous about the run or cycle !
    Last day of hard training tomorrow then it's slow down mode till Wednesday, hopefully we should be bursting to go on Saturday morning !
    Hopefully we won't have gusts of wind in our faces during the cycle !
    Mars bar or snickers for mid race boost?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭<bert>

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Can anyone confirm what you have to carry during the run, i would like to have the bare minimim.
    I was planning on having the safety blanket, whistle, bandages in my pocket.
    Food and water on the bike along with helmet and shoes.
    Some of the guys doing it with me reckon everything accept the bike must be carried during the race.

U need ur mandotary kit,a light rain jacket , and id advise water , leave everything else on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭<bert>

U need ur mandotary kit,a light rain jacket , and id advise water , leave everything else on the bike.

brilliant thanks, ill try have a bottle on me but i think ill manage the run without water, usually run alot further without any.

• Advertisement

If u can manage without fair play to u , the run is gonna be my weakest so I'll need all the help I can get 😂
    Best of luck!

Advertisement