Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

achill quest 2017.

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

<bert> wrote: »
    brilliant thanks, ill try have a bottle on me but i think ill manage the run without water, usually run a lot further without any.

Don't be fooled by the length of the run as there is 500+m of climb in it and a fair amount of proper off road terrain as well as the beach.
    You will also have done the kayak stage before you get back to the bike.
    Lots of folk try to manage w/o water until they get to the bike and come unstuck as it takes at least 80' for the top folk to get back to the bike (and over 2 hours for others!).
    At race pace that means dehydration & high risk of subsequent cramps so give yourself a chance and bring fluids on the run :eek:

Would you go to run a marathon ( Taking say 3-> 5 hours like Achill will take for most) and not take a drink of water or something to eat until after the half way point?
    May work ok for some but not for most IMHO

PeterX and several others had the fortune of seeing the leader come badly unstuck on the bike leg in the very first Achill race back in 2009 due to his lack of food & drink :o

Good luck to all taking part

• Registered Users Posts: 12 WANDERING WONDER

Excuseless wrote: »
    wrote: »
    brilliant thanks, ill try have a bottle on me but i think ill manage the run without water, usually run a lot further without any.

Don't be fooled by the length of the run as there is 500+m of climb in it and a fair amount of proper off road terrain as well as the beach.
    Lots of folk try to manage w/o water until they get to the bike and come unstuck as it takes at least 80' for the top folk to get back to the bike (and over 2 hours for others!).
    At race pace that means dehydration & high risk of subsequent cramps so give yourself a chance and bring fluids on the run :eek:

Would you go to run a marathon ( Taking say 3-> 5 hours like Achill will take for most) and not take a drink of water or something to eat until after the half way point?

PeterX and several others had the fortune of seeing the leader come badly unstuck on the bike leg in the very first Achill race back in 2009 due to his lack of food & drink :o

Totally agree , im expecting to take 3hrs on the run as im an awful slow runner , and i plan on carrying a camel back pack with 2 litres of water - they are very lightweight! Plus food - gels or cliff bar. Otherwise I will be zapped by the time you get to the bike
    BTW you have to carry your rain jacket on the run too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

100% agree with you, I took part in the Wicklow women's adventure race, which was a 3k cycle and then trail run 10KM they kayak before returning to bike, but the weather was cold windy and wet, So I just opted for water on my bike and left my hydration Backpack behind thinking I would not need it. How wrong was I, it was a hard run and then the sun came out roasting us, by the end of the run many who also had no water were in a bad way lot of poor girls getting sick as I passed them :eek: I was very lucky I was thirsty but no tummy issues, I was never so glad to see my bike and drink from my bottle I was dehydrated at that point, which also made it harder to eat with a dry mouth and panting from running up hill to the bike transition. not to mention cramping on the bike working hard cycling up hill. That was a much shorter adventure race as well!

So I plan on having my hydration Backpack on I am using tailwind for hydration and fuel :)

Baby75 wrote: »

100% agree with you, I took part in the Wicklow women's adventure race, which was a 3k cycle and then trail run 10KM they kayak before returning to bike, but the weather was cold windy and wet, So I just opted for water on my bike and left my hydration Backpack behind thinking I would not need it. How wrong was I, it was a hard run and then the sun came out roasting us, by the end of the run many who also had no water were in a bad way lot of poor girls getting sick as I passed them :eek: I was very lucky I was thirsty but no tummy issues, I was never so glad to see my bike and drink from my bottle I was dehydrated at that point, which also made it harder to eat with a dry mouth and panting from running up hill to the bike transition. not to mention cramping on the bike working hard cycling up hill. That was a much shorter adventure race as well!

So I plan on having my hydration Backpack on I am using tailwind for hydration and fuel :)
    I did quest glendelough and that was a tough run , wouldnt have made it without electrolytes esp in that sunny weather!
    Im also gonna leave a litre of water beside the bike so I can refill before the cycle. 
    getting nervous now !

I am feeling nervous myself :)

• Advertisement

looks like the run is gonna be quite boggy !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

looks like it could be fairly windy tomorrow, achill is very open so be careful on the bikes.. and of course itl make the cycle tougher..

if it turns out to be very windy, they could cancel the kayak, which has happened before.. and it turned into run.. bike.. run .. might not happen though..

Damn it and the kayak is the only one im confident on hahaha time to put the auld child of prague out!

Kayak was cancelled today

How did you find it some wind at one point I was leaning into it on the bike lol we did the expert and apart from the running on the stones to the boggy start on the hill I enjoyed the run wind was a bit crazy near the top on the ridge

The wind on the bike section was unreal at points I knew we in for a hard cycle when I seen the faces of the lads on the way back in from the first wave lol

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭<bert>

did the 63km. really liked the run. and the first half of the cycle had a good wind assist. Got a flat 10 minutes in on the bike. defiantly needed to bring water on the run in the end. The wind on the 2nd half of the cycle killed me. good weekend in achill all round though

• Advertisement

Wind nearly blew me into a car ! it was an added challege , I did the run in under 3 hours and they told me I had to do the sport cycle , it was ridiculous ! I though it was a very badly run event compared to the other Quests I did! My friend finished in 6hrs and they had the finish line taken down , water and food were gone and their were more people coming in after , I thought that was very bad form and very disrespectful. 
    Having us run on the loose stones coming off the beach was an accident waiting to happen , a local told me to get off it as they had seen loads hurt themselves on it before. I loved the route but id never do it again because of how badly it was run! If they had cut off times they need to say it on the website !

Wind nearly blew me into a car ! it was an added challege , I did the run in under 3 hours and they told me I had to do the sport cycle , it was ridiculous ! I though it was a very badly run event compared to the other Quests I did! My friend finished in 6hrs and they had the finish line taken down , water and food were gone and their were more people coming in after , I thought that was very bad form and very disrespectful. 
    Having us run on the loose stones coming off the beach was an accident waiting to happen , a local told me to get off it as they had seen loads hurt themselves on it before. I loved the route but id never do it again because of how badly it was run! If they had cut off times they need to say it on the website !

I have to agree with you about the finish line, it was so disheartening to arrive back and only one rack up for racking your bike, I got a bottle of water and a little bit of soup nothing else left, I felt bad for the people coming behind me I thought it was very bad form we all paid the same price to do the event, it would be nice if they made sure there was enough left for all at the finish line, as after the cycle in that wind you needed something after being on your feet for 4 or more hours.

They never mentioned cut off points at all are you going to email

but well done for finishing :) it was the hardest thing I have ever done I am sore today from coming down hill

actually, at the way up to the top just after the check point, we were going straight up and my hubby noticed a group heading off to the right following the ridge rather than heading up the top, we started to follow when he said I see no markers and retraced his steps to find we were heading the wrong way, he ran and called them back as if they kept going they would have had to climb up a very steep incline to get to the top where the mast and point for decent. it was very misty so hard to see, I wonder how many others went that way

It was an amazing day even though im disgusted i wasnt allowed do the cycle , the mountain run was amazing ! A couple of people broke legs I heard , im not surprised and it was badly marshalled and sign posted! 
    Coming down was so much fun but my ankles are sore from it too ! 
    Well done on finishing , it was a tough course and tough conditions! Sea2Summit next for me !

It was an amazing day even though im disgusted i wasnt allowed do the cycle , the mountain run was amazing ! A couple of people broke legs I heard , im not surprised and it was badly marshalled and sign posted! 
    Coming down was so much fun but my ankles are sore from it too ! 
    Well done on finishing , it was a tough course and tough conditions! Sea2Summit next for me !

it was amazing, I must admit on the way up the mountain I faltered I think I let the enormity of what I was doing creep in and I just thought I can not do this, thanks to my hubby I shook it off and kept going :D after that I kept thinking if I stop I won't get that medal and I wanted it LOL .my favorite part of the run was running along the ridge and reaching the point where we started cycling back towards the finish line I got a second wind and even caught a few people ;)

Good luck at sea2summit I am looking at coast to coast LOL or similar I think loads of training to do first lots of hiking and mountain running I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

it was amazing, I must admit on the way up the mountain I faltered I think I let the enormity of what I was doing creep in and I just thought I can not do this, thanks to my hubby I shook it off and kept going :D after that I kept thinking if I stop I won't get that medal and I wanted it LOL .my favorite part of the run was running along the ridge and reaching the point where we started cycling back towards the finish line I got a second wind and even caught a few people ;)

Good luck at sea2summit I am looking at coast to coast LOL or similar I think loads of training to do first lots of hiking and mountain running I think

Sounds like you have the bug for adventuring Baby75 :) Well done at the weekend, not an easy course and in tough conditions, kudos. It's a great buzz isn't it :)

If you're thinking of doing the Coast2Coast (as a pair with your hubby maybe?), focus on cycling and kayaking for the winter. You're DCM training will be enough to get you through the hike/run/crawl at the end of the Coast2Coast but the 260km on the bike and the long kayak will be tough.

The trekking section in Newcastle Co. Down isn't very technical and at that point you'll most likely be walking and jogging sections of it so a lot of technical running won't need to be top of your list :)

Neady83 wrote: »
    Sounds like you have the bug for adventuring Baby75 :) Well done at the weekend, not an easy course and in tough conditions, kudos. It's a great buzz isn't it :)

If you're thinking of doing the Coast2Coast (as a pair with your hubby maybe?), focus on cycling and kayaking for the winter. You're DCM training will be enough to get you through the hike/run/crawl at the end of the Coast2Coast but the 260km on the bike and the long kayak will be tough.

The trekking section in Newcastle Co. Down isn't very technical and at that point you'll most likely be walking and jogging sections of it so a lot of technical running won't need to be top of your list :)

It is :) I could not believe how good I felt at the end of it, no problems running through the finish line my legs worked :D yesterday they were sore more my left than right, but that was the way I bounced, ran slid on my ass on the way back down.

Yes, I am thinking of doing it as a team with my hubby, Thanks for those tips I want to work on my cycling so I can get stronger did you find spinning helped with your cycling? we are thinking of getting our own Kayak to go out in, the river Barrow is just on our doorstep and a new adventure club is hopefully starting up we are going to the meeting tomorrow night to see what it is all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

It is :) I could not believe how good I felt at the end of it, no problems running through the finish line my legs worked :D yesterday they were sore more my left than right, but that was the way I bounced, ran slid on my ass on the way back down.

Yes, I am thinking of doing it as a team with my hubby, Thanks for those tips I want to work on my cycling so I can get stronger did you find spinning helped with your cycling? we are thinking of getting our own Kayak to go out in, the river Barrow is just on our doorstep and a new adventure club is hopefully starting up we are going to the meeting tomorrow night to see what it is all about.

Bouncing and sliding down the mountain, sounds like my kinda race :)

Spinning helped but if you could get a turbo for your own bike or access to a wattbike it would be great. You're looking at 8 to 10 hours on the saddle so while the spinning will make your legs stronger, it won't get your bum ready for a long time on the saddle :)

The kayak stage on the C2C is mostly calm - there's one small lake to cross that can get choppy but the rescue boat will be on hand to direct ye to the smoothest way around if it is choppy so it's really quite safe. If I can help at all drop me a PM :)

That adventure club sounds great.

Neady83 wrote: »
    Bouncing and sliding down the mountain, sounds like my kinda race :)

Spinning helped but if you could get a turbo for your own bike or access to a wattbike it would be great. You're looking at 8 to 10 hours on the saddle so while the spinning will make your legs stronger, it won't get your bum ready for a long time on the saddle :)

The kayak stage on the C2C is mostly calm - there's one small lake to cross that can get choppy but the rescue boat will be on hand to direct ye to the smoothest way around if it is choppy so it's really quite safe. If I can help at all drop me a PM :)

That adventure club sounds great.

Thanks so much Neady I will take you up on that, Just as well I love cycling I see a lot of saddle time in my future

Advertisement