Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Status of a teacher covering year long sick leave

Options
  • 11-08-2017 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Sorry if this has been discussed before but I'm trying to find into about pay and status for someone who had worked the entire year as cover for a person on sick leave. It was 22 hours in a voluntary secondary school that they expect to return to in September.

The non-casual rate is payable to teachers in the following circumstances

(a) Where a teacher is employed under a contract which obliges him or her to work in a school
    for a period in excess of 40 days at primary or 150 hours at post-primary during the school
    year but less than a full school year (e.g. replacing a teacher on maternity leave), the non-
    casual rate is payable for each day/hour worked;

What happens your pay status if you teach for the entire year (the sick teacher was unable to return)

is this person entitled to any pay for the summer? ( they received a letter saying their employment ends on 31 August but they have not got any pay over the summer)

Does this year count for this teacher CID

Thanks for any help and enjoy the last of the summer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Kuiper wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been discussed before but I'm trying to find into about pay and status for someone who had worked the entire year as cover for a person on sick leave. It was 22 hours in a voluntary secondary school that they expect to return to in September.

The non-casual rate is payable to teachers in the following circumstances

(a) Where a teacher is employed under a contract which obliges him or her to work in a school
    for a period in excess of 40 days at primary or 150 hours at post-primary during the school
    year but less than a full school year (e.g. replacing a teacher on maternity leave), the non-
    casual rate is payable for each day/hour worked;

What happens your pay status if you teach for the entire year (the sick teacher was unable to return)

is this person entitled to any pay for the summer? ( they received a letter saying their employment ends on 31 August but they have not got any pay over the summer)

Does this year count for this teacher CID

Thanks for any help and enjoy the last of the summer

When you go over the 150 hours, you get your personal rate i.e. your point on the scale.

As you are replacing a teacher on sick leave, you are going to be paid the substitute plus holiday pay included which is payable at Christmas, Easter and June.

This year will not count for CID unless teacher doesn't come back i.e. retirement. I read on the ASTI website that once you work in a school for more than a year and there is a vacancy in your subject area(s) and is viable for the next two years, there is an entitlement to hours or that is my understanding.

It's not ideal but at least it's work and full 22 hours - I would jump at it. You shouldn't need to sign a contract, if you do, I'm presuming it will be a fixed term where summer pay would be included but I think the absent teacher would have to inform the Board of Management that they would be absent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

You are not entitled to summer pay. You should have received the non casual hourly rate once you went over 150 hours. Holiday pay is deducted from the hourly rate and paid in a lump at Christmas, Easter and Summer.

The year counts as a year's service towards CID eligibility but you will not get CID until you have done more than 2 years in one school and have eligible hours (your own, career break or secondment).

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Kuiper

Thanks for replies guys. The non causal personal hourly rate was paid after 150 hours.

But because this employment was for the entire year and not less than the year it was thought this status and arrangements for pay might change again.

Advertisement