Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transition from compact to semi-compact/standard

Options
  • 11-08-2017 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Has anyone made the switch from a compact chainset to semi-compact or standard? I'm finding myself missing a gear or two on decline/tailwind flats and suspect I could definitely train myself out of a gear or two's worth on the opposite end.

To fill you in: I'd consider myself to be of a decent standard - would cover a solo loop from South Dublin over featherbeds, past Powerscourt and back (roughly 50kms) in avg speed of 27kms/h+. Love my climbing and generally wouldn't consider it a proper outing without a nice chunk of hillage. Not cycling competitively, but would consider it at some point if I can ever get round to it.

Has anyone ever made this switch and how'd they find it? Is it correct to think one could be relying too much on their cardio level (cadence rate) over their leg strength? Is there even any kind of test or measurement to check if one should consider moving from a compact?

Thanks all

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm on a semi-compact - probably don't ride as hilly as you, i'm based on the northside - but i find myself jumping between rings more than i'd like. the gear ratio range i seem to prefer at the moment doesn't allow me to stay on one ring without beginning to cross-chain. i'd be around the same average speed as you, with the caveat that my cycles are not as hilly, the hilliest ones would generally take in the naul and surrounding areas.
    currently riding a 52/36 to 11-28 - couldn't tell you the last time i used either my highest or lowest gears.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I moved from compact to semi this year and initially found it hard to find a sweet spot gear on the 52. It takes a little time but I have found improvement from the switch i think.
    I use the 36 ring climbing steep digs, 5% plus when I need to have a higher cadence but I can manage lesser gradients on the 52 ring especially the shorter "power climbs".

I'm not a massive spinner if that's any guideline on any of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Similar cyclist to yourself, switched from compact to a semi this year and I'm loving it. Iv a standard set up on another bike which I really liked, but was just a little bit too tough in the hills day to day... So went with the 36/52 and 11/25. It's tough on the 36/25t on some hills like parts of slieve man or kilmashogue, when I'm tired especially, but nothing impossible. Find I get more out of the 36 on the hills. Just that extra bit of bite. The 52 is awesome everywhere away from the steeper climbs. Going downhill not so much better, definitely a standard is noticeablly better.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭AlreadyHome

Similar cyclist to yourself, switched from compact to a semi this year and I'm loving it. Iv a standard set up on another bike which I really liked, but was just a little bit too tough in the hills day to day... So went with the 36/52 and 11/25. It's tough on the 36/25t on some hills like parts of slieve man or kilmashogue, when I'm tired especially, but nothing impossible. Find I get more out of the 36 on the hills. Just that extra bit of bite. The 52 is awesome everywhere away from the steeper climbs. Going downhill not so much better, definitely a standard is noticeablly better.

Hmm...I suppose either way I should be switching initially to the 36/52 first off regardless. My knees mightn't thank me by jumping straight to a standard!

Advertisement