Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scumbags on the old cratloe road caherdavin.

• 11-08-2017 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello there i have lived in the moyross ballynanty area for most of my life (living in the thomondgate area now), My girlfriend is living just off the old cratloe road in an estate in caherdavin, Has anyone noticed over the last few months (10-12 months) things have gotten out of control with little scobes up to anti social behaviour up to all hours most nights it gets alot worse on weekends, People are getting beating up / robbed (cars even being burnt out) and even stabbed on what seems like a regular occurrence and noting seems to be done about it and alot of these scumbags have "well known family members" so if you challenge these scumbags your really risking it. Im going to say it now i know the likes of moyross/balla and even thomondgate have there own problems but the carry on thats happening down in caherdavin is a joke. Now im not putting all the blame on people from caherdavin but they are partly to blame i have seen alot of people from caherdavin targeting people from other estates (moyross/thomondgate areas) but some of the kids around caherdavin are no better and i would say are the majority of the group that are causing these problems, I know CCTV cameras have been installed and a area that used to give them shelter with trees cut down but it still seems the gardai are not arresting these little scrotes and i know for a fact they think they are untouchable and countine putting fear into the good and honest people of the area.. What a great country we live in that **** like this can happen (all over limerick btw not just caherdavin, garryowen has the same issues but they have been going on years, this has just became a big problem in this area in recent months id say imo) My rant is done i feel alot better after venting and posting to make sure everyone is vigilant and safe. im going to link some of these incidents.

"GARDAI are appealing for information after a teenager was hospitalised at the weekend with suspected stab wounds following an incident on the northside of Limerick city.

It is understood the juvenile sustained injuries to his upper body after a row broke out between a group of people near a bus stop at Old Cratloe Road, Caherdavin at around 9.30pm on Saturday.

The Limerick Leader has learned that a bus driver who arrived on the scene of the incident provided medical assistance to the injured youth before emergency services and gardai arrived.

Replying to a query on Sunday afternoon, a spokesperson at the Garda Press Office confirmed a teenager was taken to University Hospital Limerick (UHL) following the assault and that an investigation into what happened has been launched.

While the condition of the youth is unknown, it is not believed to be life-threatening.

There have been no arrests so far.

One line of inquiry being followed by gardai is that the altercation happened after a group of youths from the general area approached a number of students who were waiting to catch a bus into the city centre.

Gardai have confirmed that while a bus was present in the area around the time of incident, they do not believe anything untoward happened on board the vehicle.

CCTV from the area will be viewed as part of the investigation and gardai will also be speaking with any witnesses in an effort to establish what happened.

Gardai have not confirmed if they had spoken to the injured youth as part of their investigation which is in its early stages.

Anyone with information about the incident is asked to come forward.

Gardai at Mayorstone station can be contacted at (061) 456980 while the garda confidential number is 1800 666 111."

"GARDAI in Limerick are investigating an assault on a student that has been described as a ‘traumatic incident’.

The assault took place outside Limerick Insitute of Technology – close to an area that has seen repeated incidents in recent weeks – and saw the student attacked by two male youths who, according to gardai, “proceeded to punch and kick the student”.

“He received minor cuts and bruising from the incident, however this was a traumatic incident for the student,” said a garda spokesperson.

Gardai in Mayorstone are “anxious to speak to anyone in the vicinity of LIT Moylish last Thursday, June 29, between 2pm and 2.30pm that may have witnessed this incident”.

“Any information could prove valuable for this investigation,” added the spokesperson.

The Old Cratloe Road area is to have CCTV installed following a “wave of anti-social and criminal behaviour in the area”, according to Limerick TD Maurice Quinlivan.

Limerick City and County Council confirmed that CCTV will be installed “following multiple reports of assaults, intimidation and other anti-social behaviour by gangs of up to 30 young people in the Old Cratloe Road and Caherdavin areas”, the Sinn Fein TD said.

In a recent incident, a young man was involved in a fight and received an injury to his back and hand, while other incidents have seen two teenagers punched in the face while walking in the area, a student suffer bruising and soft-tissue injuries when he was forcibly pulled into a car and robbed, and a student stabbed in the back near a bus stop at Old Cratloe Road earlier this year.

Senator Kieran O’Donnell has confirmed that gardai have received approval to put a specific garda operation into the Caherdavin and Old Cratloe Road areas to deal with the anti-social behaviour.

"This involves an extra sergeant and two gardai specifically on this operation. It is funded under the Gardai Anti-Crime Operation Thor scheme and is already yielding results," he said."

"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 MadFeen

I have noticed this too, Its only getting worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭kfrp

Never see a guard around the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Has this anything to do with the regeneration/relocation from former troubled areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Limericklaaaad

Has this anything to do with the regeneration/relocation from former troubled areas?
    Yes that would be a factor i would say, But it wouldnt be the main reason, People are still travelling from said areas and meeting up around the old cratloe road area causing war.
    Two cars they have brazenly burnt out they honestly dont give a ****e and noting is being done its a utter disgrace.
    https: //i.imgur.com/IkIpCRH.jpg
    https: //i.imgur.com/Na7CVHn.jpg
    Utter scumbags they are getting away with this scot free... Its setting a great example for the next generation, That being a scumbag pays in this city..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

A stop needs to be put to this immediately. It affects everyone in Limerick, investment, and the perception of our city. These kids are mostly Caherdavin kids and kids coming in from Shannon, no connection to Moyross or Balla. My nephew was in an altercation there, but luckily managed to chin one of them.

• Advertisement

myshirt wrote: »
    A stop needs to be put to this immediately. It affects everyone in Limerick, investment, and the perception of our city. These kids are mostly Caherdavin kids and kids coming in from Shannon, no connection to Moyross or Balla. My nephew was in an altercation there, but luckily managed to chin one of them.

Yes you are right its mainly kids from the caherdavin area, But i can confirm there is a good few from moyross balla and thomomandgate as i know some of the familys (Not worth mentioning it to the familys either they are the same as the children scum.. wouldnt give a ****e and would be risking a hiding) gardai simply cant combat the situation and the ordinary civilians will suffer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

A point that I feel needs to be made here, which you are overlooking op, is that without the willingness of people to give statements and testify there is actually very little the Gardai can do.

Unless they are caught in the act, the Gardai need evidence and witnesses, without either a prosecution cannot happen.

In situations like these it is indeed the ordinary people who suffer, but they're the same people who 'don't want to get involved'.

I understand the fear of reprisals, but unfortunately the blame does not lie with the Gardai here. The Gardai have to follow the rules laid out in legislation, and without the help of the ordinary decent people in these situations they can't do anything.

source wrote: »
    A point that I feel needs to be made here, which you are overlooking op, is that without the willingness of people to give statements and testify there is actually very little the Gardai can do.

Unless they are caught in the act, the Gardai need evidence and witnesses, without either a prosecution cannot happen.

In situations like these it is indeed the ordinary people who suffer, but they're the same people who 'don't want to get involved'.

I understand the fear of reprisals, but unfortunately the blame does not lie with the Gardai here. The Gardai have to follow the rules laid out in legislation, and without the help of the ordinary decent people in these situations they can't do anything.
    Yes i do agree with you 100 percent pal, I dont live in the immediate area but my girlfriend and her family do and there is a big fear if you rat you will get burnt out of it, Imo noting will change and the area is going to deteriorate even more (the exact same thing has been happening all over limerick garryowen have very similar problems for example).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Yes you are right its mainly kids from the caherdavin area, But i can confirm there is a good few from moyross balla and thomomandgate as i know some of the familys (Not worth mentioning it to the familys either they are the same as the children scum.. wouldnt give a ****e and would be risking a hiding) gardai simply cant combat the situation and the ordinary civilians will suffer.

There have been a number of large housing developments built in that general area in recent years but seemingly without the proper associated infrastructure which is necessary in densely populated urban areas. This usually causes problems. Westbury experienced similar incidents in the beginning. I think there is a seasonal factor at play here also in that trouble is most likely to occur during the months of July and August when schools are closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

kfrp wrote:
    Never see a guard around the area.

Seen plenty of paddy wagons patrolling the area. Good to see considering their limited resources.
    chicorytip wrote:
    There have been a number of large housing developments built in that general area in recent years but seemingly without the proper associated infrastructure which is necessary in densely populated urban areas. This usually causes problems. Westbury experienced similar incidents in the beginning. I think there is a seasonal factor at play here also in that trouble is most likely to occur during the months of July and August when schools are closed.

Agree on the point of schools being closed contributing to the rise is anti social behaviour.

Several posts speak about it, but I fail to see the relevance of identifying their estate of origin, this drags is of course I feel. A scumbag is a scumbag, and they're on the Old Cratloe Road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Limerick has it's issues like all cities.I won't tell a word of a lie here when i say that i find the deafening silence from the Limerick isn't that bad crowd to be quite amusing.Im surprised that they haven't arrived in force yet to shout down the op.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

I am from the area, biggest problem we had on the Cratloe Road last night and today, was a burst water main, fixed since 6 o'clock, not a bother since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Limerick has it's issues like all cities.I won't tell a word of a lie here when i say that i find the deafening silence from the Limerick isn't that bad crowd to be quite amusing.Im surprised that they haven't arrived in force yet to shout down the op.

There is no deafening silence.

The history of this is while crime went down in Limerick, reporting of crime sky rocketed. Anything they could get their hands on. Always the crimes in socioeconomic disadvantaged areas, and rarely the crimes of others. Rarely the causes of the issues. Rarely an exploration of the issues. Rarely a taking to task of those in gainful employment and large pensions on the back of it all. Abject failure and apathy. Many would be surprised to find out the detail in that area and say link link link, but I'm afraid you have to get off your arse and educate yourself for that. You won't read that from the comfort of your armchair or high horse.

Dublin has now and always had more significant issues than Limerick, with substantially more resources than Limerick, and with much more competent and able municipal and state authorities at their disposal. But still terrible problems. We need to stop the dick measuring contest and face up to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

What the f~~k are you on about...

Why would anyone try to shout down the OP, he is doing the place a service raising the issue...

Limerick is a city of approx 120,000....with all the issues a city that size has...the issues vary from city to city...and from time to time...I do not know a single person in this city who isn't aware of many different kinds of issues that challenge the place...

I (assuming it is the likes of me you are referring to) haven't contributed to this thread because I have nothing to add...I don't live around there...I am aware from local media there is an issue in that part of town...unlike other Irish cities who bury their own heads in the sand I believe that when it comes to issues like this they need to be publically aired otherwise the problems escalate...

It does become another issue entirely however when idiots decide that Limerick's entire reputation should be defined by a particular issue...but enough has been said about that...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ericd2017

I live in the area and there was a group of about 4-5 lads belting each other around in a green area across from my house last night. Another larger group watching them while they drank there cans, Surprisingly enough they didnt stay to long and moved off soon as a fighting stopped. I did see a squad car pass through the road about 20 minutes after.

Update: A neighbours window has just been smashed in, The owner of the house is a 70 year old woman living by herself so i know there's no such reason to justify this sort of thug behaviour, Poor woman keeps to herself doesnt bother anyone and they still deiced to smash the womans window in ****ing disgrace.

On a Friday afternoon a few years ago in a Caherdavin estate I witnessed an assault. Guy who carried out the attack had a fight with his girlfriend and hit the first guy he saw with glasses. He broke his nose and banged his head off the curb. I moved out of Limerick shortly after.

Well let me tell you pal its after getting alot worse here since you left, im living here all my life and theres never been trouble like this in as many years as my family are living here its out of control.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

We need the Batman. Politicians and CCTV cameras won't fix it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Are we talking about glenmore here or opposite the spar ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Is that the bus stop where they have the new green fencing on the wall?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

We need the Batman. Politicians and CCTV cameras won't fix it.

Your saying that for years and i totally agree but which of our local biz men has the potential cant imagine JP in the Batmobile cracking heads on William St 😂

Advertisement