Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

identify this conifer tree

Options
  • 11-08-2017 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Can you help me identify this conifer tree?

Its got a good shape and structure to it so will plant one in my garden, once I know what it is :)

Thanks !

2017-08-06_13.17.12.jpg

2017-08-06_13.17.21.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭blackbox

It's a pine, possibly a lodgepole pine but maybe something more exotic because it seems to have longer needles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I've attached a conifer id key below to help you narrow it down, Inc pines.
    It is a pine. But which one? :D
    2's 3's 5's refers to the number of needles in the clusters on the pine.
    Pages referred to are from the 'Eye Witness Trees' book.

322132.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

Great thanks for those replies, I think its a Scots Pine.

Would this be suitable as a specimen tree in a lawn?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭blackbox

A Scots pine makes a superb specimen tree but it changes considerably as it matures. It loses lower branches. Google some pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

Yep a scots pine they get very big my grandad used to have loads they gave loads of little pine cones when there big.He had to cut most of his down a few years back after bad weather was sad to see them go remember them when i was a little fella

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Needles look to long for it to be a Scots pine? I'd say its one of the forms of Pinus nigra, see oldtree's key.

Also note the location if thats near the sea then Pinus nigra would be an obvious planting choice as its good near the sea particularly Pinus nigra var maritima.

Advertisement