Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single female buyers - is a house or apartment safer?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Goodness, this is a new one on me! I bought a house and have never felt unsafe in it..

me either...I cannot understand the paranoia

do people realise how many houses there are...and the actual rate of burglary....let alone the rate for violent assault as part of buglary???

the odds are pretty slim on such things happening

its bit like wanting to buy a lorry instead of a car in case you crash!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Maybe it's a Dublin thing? I've had a think about this and can only think of one single woman I know who didn't buy a house. And even then, she bought a duplex because of the location and price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Would you live in a house in the middle of nowhere on your own?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Maybe it's a Dublin thing? I've had a think about this and can only think of one single woman I know who didn't buy a house. And even then, she bought a duplex because of the location and price.
    Apartment living isn't always an option, depending on your location.
    I've lived alone in both an apartment and a house.
    Never felt unsafe in either, but anyone could enter apartment block. At least I know who is meant to be around my house.

No and that is why I live in a semi detached house on an estate. As do any single friends/cousins/acquaintances of mine who bought. Buying an apartment because a house is unsafe is tin hat territory as far as I'm concerned.

• Advertisement

Lux23 wrote: »
    Would you live in a house in the middle of nowhere on your own?

that isn't what the OP is about

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

I am male living in a house and the burglar alarm gives good piece of mind. At night it is set so that downstairs is alarmed so any intrusion would set it off and you would be aware. Burglars and even more serious criminals don't really want to hang around in an alarm is going off.

Also coming home when you turn off the alarm you can see from the display panel if there has been an alarm event caused by intrusion so you know there is nobody hiding in the wardrobe!

I would budget in a professionally fitted alarm with panic fobs etc and go for a house. Good luck with your purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,516 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Riskymove wrote: »
    me either...I cannot understand the paranoia

do people realise how many houses there are...and the actual rate of burglary....let alone the rate for violent assault as part of buglary???

the odds are pretty slim on such things happening

its bit like wanting to buy a lorry instead of a car in case you crash!!

Have you ever been broken into? It changes your perspective a bit (or at least it changed mine).

Have you ever been broken into? It changes your perspective a bit (or at least it changed mine).
    Personally I wouldn't inflict apartment living on myself on the off-chance I might be broken into while I'm there. But it's different strokes for different folks.

Of course I understand that breakins happen....but they happen in apartments too...and the rates are low enough

but believing a house in ireland is somehow "unsafe" or certainly so unsafe that you wouldn't consider living in one is just plain OTT imo

• Advertisement

No and that is why I live in a semi detached house on an estate. As do any single friends/cousins/acquaintances of mine who bought. Buying an apartment because a house is unsafe is tin hat territory as far as I'm concerned.

Have you lived in a rough neighbourhood though? One where people are on the street all night? Perhaps there are even rough sleepers nearby. Because I have and when it all kicked off I was glad to be two floors up!!

Have you lived in a rough neighbourhood though? One where people are on the street all night? Perhaps there are even rough sleepers nearby. Because I have and when it all kicked off I was glad to be two floors up!!

I did say it'd have to be like Beirut outside to buy one. I live in a nice area that's boresville central. Thank goodness.

Perhaps the issue should be would you buy a house in an area with rough sleepers and anti social activity?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,416 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Rough neighbourhoods, while potentially prone to street crime, aren't necessarily more prone to burglary.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,716 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Victor wrote:
    Rough neighbourhoods, while potentially prone to street crime, aren't necessarily more prone to burglary.

Or crime specifically targetted at women, which is what the OP seems to be afraid of.

I just never understood that fear. The reality is that men are statistically far, far more likely to be the victim of a violent assault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

Wow! Personally, I found the question odd. But I also think that the only 'stupid' question, is one you don't ask. So here are my 2 cents.

I bought in London where I am from. I bought a flat in a nice enough area, but it was opposite a high school, next door to a primary school and just down the road from a notorious estate, where anti-social behaviour was so bad, the bus could no longer terminate there and the residents had to collect their post. I never once had an ounce of trouble there. Lived there for 18 years, and left on excellent terms with the neighbours. Checked out the area thoroughly, spoke to the local police and I also had friends living in the area

I then bought a house. Some would say the area can be quite rough, but again I did my due diligence. At the bottom of the road, is a park and access to the tram stop. Checked out the area at all different times of the day and night. Checked out the parking, and spoke to the neighbours before putting in an offer. I bought the house, and lived there happily for four years before moving here.

I bought both properties as a single woman. Do your checks, and move where you want, can feel comfortable and can afford. Doesn't matter if it's a house or a flat. My personal preference would be for a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

I honestly cannot understand women that say they can't stay in a house in their own, grow up.
    As for the question I'm a single lady and I brought a house by myself. Apartment never even crossed my mind as I hate that style of living

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    I honestly cannot understand women that say they can't stay in a house in their own, grow up.
    As for the question I'm a single lady and I brought a house by myself. Apartment never even crossed my mind as I hate that style of living

My preference, if living on my own, would be for an apartment. I would prefer the extra security and why pay for more space if you're not using it? Why does a single person need a house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Hey OP,

Well done on being able to buy - I hope whatever you decide goes well.

I understand these concerns, they even filtered into my decision when renting and I did say no to a ground floor space that was offered just on that feeling of being too accessible to the outside world. That said, the advice given by some posters regarding looking into what area you want to live in and then chatting to the local gardai sounds very wise. I know alarms and good locks are really the major deterrents, but the feeling of ease in one's home is so important.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

My preference, if living on my own, would be for an apartment. I would prefer the extra security and why pay for more space if you're not using it? Why does a single person need a house?

That's like saying why does a single person need to breathe.
    I wanted a house and I got a house. Houses can be small, big whatever you want them to be.
    Noe I'm in a lovely house I feel safe and I've no annoying neighbours upstairs or downstairs, no communal areas and no maintenance fees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

La_Gordy wrote: »
    Hey OP,

Well done on being able to buy - I hope whatever you decide goes well.

I understand these concerns, they even filtered into my decision when renting and I did say no to a ground floor space that was offered just on that feeling of being too accessible to the outside world. That said, the advice given by some posters regarding looking into what area you want to live in and then chatting to the local gardai sounds very wise. I know alarms and good locks are really the major deterrents, but the feeling of ease in one's home is so important.

Re the chatting to the local Garda - I did that when buying my first house - the Sergeant who told me it was a lovely spot full of salt-of-the-earth families (and it was) and he'd have NO hesitation in recommending buying there, was the same one who answered the phone when I rang up to report having been burgled :D

The ones who break into your house are generally not your neighbours. The ones who hang around the area in the evenings causing noise/litter/aggro are far more likely to be (not my experience, but a relative's in a similar sort of area). I'd be far more concerned about general anti-social activity in the area that you have to come and go in, than the possibility of being broken into, even after having been a victim of one actual burglary and one attempted one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭mel123

Seriously, like just seriously!!!!!!

Single women need houses for a variety of reasons. More space being one of them. I bought a house as a single woman, and feel no need to justify why I bought one. Not all houses are 3-bed semi's you know!

In any case, there's no extra security in a flat. The entry system is not guaranteed to work - if there is one. and in some cases if you ring the tradesmen's bell ANYONE can let you in! At least with a house, you are free to answer (or not) if you want. Frankly, I find the last statement ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

And I thought I was ridiculous for wanting an apartment because I don't wanna care for a garden.

On a more serious note, it's true that entry to an apartment block is fairly easy. Tradesmen bell or even just ringing at a few units and saying you forgot your keys or you're the plumber, if someone can please open the chance is quite high that someone will let you in. In countries where apartment living is a lot more common than here gangs have a very professional approach to scouting targets, like dressing up as delivery men and get access to blocks for a number of weeks to see what's a vulnerable target.

LirW wrote: »
    And I thought I was ridiculous for wanting an apartment because I don't wanna care for a garden.

On a more serious note, it's true that entry to an apartment block is fairly easy. Tradesmen bell or even just ringing at a few units and saying you forgot your keys or you're the plumber, if someone can please open the chance is quite high that someone will let you in. In countries where apartment living is a lot more common than here gangs have a very professional approach to scouting targets, like dressing up as delivery men and get access to blocks for a number of weeks to see what's a vulnerable target.

And that's fine too! Lots of people don't like to garden. Personally, I enjoy pottering about, even if I'm no great shakes at it.

It's all about choice at the end of the day. Nobody should have to justify their choices to anybody.

It's down to the OP at the end of the day to do their due diligence and take the necessary precautions. The place doesn't have to be Fort Knox, but make sure smoke alarms, burglars alarms are fitted to a decent standard, working and kept serviced. That's all she can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

When I was renting I lived in 2 apartments. First apartment was in the heart of Dublin and backed onto some dodgy enough flats, felt very safe there, never had any trouble. Second apartment was in a far nicer area of South County Dublin and within the first year of living there it was broken into, in broad daylight, along with every other unoccupied apartment in the block. Didn't feel very safe after that.

Bought a house on my own as a single woman, it didn't even cross my mind to buy an apartment, or even the safety aspect of either an apartment or a house, I knew I wanted a house with a garden and plenty of space. When I moved in with my now husband into his house there was an attempted break in while we were living there, but there was no alarm on the house so it was an easy target.

As another anecdotal tale of apartment living, I used to work with a woman who lived in an apartment with her husband. One night she woke up to find a burglar standing over her in the bedroom.

Also you don't know who else is living/renting in your apartment complex. My friend lived in the same building as a brothel. The first she knew of it was when the guards closed it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Whatever opinions may be about security, I hate the thoughts of sharing bond with someone and relying on others to keep such areas tidy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

....... wrote: »
    That was probably a safer building than most!

Maybe so lol.

Advertisement