Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New school or established school?

Options
  • 11-08-2017 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'm a primary teacher and have been fortunate enough to be offered two jobs in very different schools, I now have a few days to decide my options.

The first job is in a brand new school that will be starting with Infants only, and will be using the classrooms of another local school until it gets it's own site. There is already a buzz about this school in the area and it could be a great opportunity to be one of the first teachers there.

The second job is in a big, established school that seems to have a decent reputation.

Both classes are the same level, the schools are in the same area, I like both ethos of the schools. Does anyone have advice or cautions about taking one over the other? Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭derb12

Hi there,

I'm a primary teacher and have been fortunate enough to be offered two jobs in very different schools, I now have a few days to decide my options.

The first job is in a brand new school that will be starting with Infants only, and will be using the classrooms of another local school until it gets it's own site. There is already a buzz about this school in the area and it could be a great opportunity to be one of the first teachers there.

The second job is in a big, established school that seems to have a decent reputation.

Both classes are the same level, the schools are in the same area, I like both ethos of the schools. Does anyone have advice or cautions about taking one over the other? Thanks :)

Wow well done you!
    I personally would go for a new school but that's because I've taught in a good few schools and have a bit of experience.
    If it was my first job, I think I'd go for an established school where I'd have the support of experienced colleagues. Though even then, a new school would be tempting.
    A friend of mine had an opportunity to work in a new school a few years back and left a promising (not permanent but promising) position. It turned out to be a disaster because the principal was a nut job and he left at the end of the year. If you can do a bit of research on the principal in advance then do so.
    Best of luck whatever you decide!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Which ethos would suit you best?

Remember the atmosphere in a school can change overnight due to a change in principal.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

The question you should ask is whether you want to be part of a start up of a new institution, and all the associated chaos (and experience) that brings.

While not exactly the same, I was part of a startup of a third level institution. It was a phenomenal experience, but quite intense and looks great on the CV. Plus, you get to put your own mark on the institution, even in some small way.

Then again, as others have said, at your stage in your career, would you benefit from the experience of an established institution as opposed to a start up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

From talking to a colleague who had a son in your position and went with the new setup... take the established school.
    Brand New primary school.. principal in their early thirties! The teachers were all fresh out of college and driven demented with crazy demands. Meetings every morning and after school . Teachers had to scrub the floors once a week (no cleaner employed). Ongoing meetings about trying to decide on teacher uniforms!
    All the teachers were unhappy and too afraid to say no to anything or join a union.

But if yer up for something completely different!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    From talking to a colleague who had a son in your position and went with the new setup... take the established school.
    Brand New primary school.. principal in their early thirties! The teachers were all fresh out of college and driven demented with crazy demands. Meetings every morning and after school . Teachers had to scrub the floors once a week (no cleaner employed). Ongoing meetings about trying to decide on teacher uniforms!
    All the teachers were unhappy and too afraid to say no to anything or join a union.

But if yer up for something completely different!

Was this school an Educate Together by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Was this school an Educate Together by any chance?

I couldn't say for sure. Although I wouldn't want to specify any more as it might identify the school given the 'unique nature' of leadership :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    I couldn't say for sure. Although I wouldn't want to specify any more as it might identify the school given the 'unique nature' of leadership :pac:

Teachers mopping the floor and keeping their mouth shut. Education in Ireland in 2017.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Going with the negatives:

A "new school" will be pushing hard to get numbers, so you might find yourself stuck in every pr stunt that the principal can think of, to the detriment of your own class -and you may be expected to attend lots and lots of things outside of school too. Do you need to get a dip done?

A friend of mine was employed as a teacher in a new school and worked really, really hard for the year doing all the stuff above and more. Her principal changed and the new one was absolutely useless- as my friend had been there already , she was resented by the incomer and still expected to "carry" them too. If there are going to be a number of teachers, rather than just principal and yourself, that may not be such an issue.

There won't be any post holder jobs though, so you will be expected to pitch in far more in that school -this may be a good or bad thing!

Not having your own building and using rooms in another school isn't the best either- how will yard and hall time work? Will there be classroom resources or budget to buy them?

And the established school:

Will the staff be clique-ish?

Is it possible that there may be a hint of "this is the way we always do do things here" attitude?

Will class size be bigger than in the start up?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭cowboyjoe

That's a nice but tricky situation your in. I can only comment from experience on an established school. I would ask you to talk to any ex or current staff from that school if possible; What was/is the general atmosphere like? Are the staff sound?! At the interview did you feel comfortable there? Could you imagine your self fitting in if you had a chance to speak with staff there? Was the principal giving a good impression? New schools are great, new energy, new ideas, but so many new procedures to prepare, new documents, basically everything to run the school must be created, on top of the day to day of teaching. If it is your dip year, as mentioned, you may have extra issues to deal with, compared to an established school. Anyhow, good luck with your new job and the decision!

Advertisement