Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Survey before Contract?

Options
  • 11-08-2017 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

What is the story with EA insisting on a survey being completed before contract stage ie before solicitor 'engaged'. I would have thought title, plans etc should be in order before engaging the services of an engineer? Thoughts plz?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

The only thing I can think is the estate agent/vendor expect something negative to turn up in the survey.

Probably a silly question but did you ask the agent why?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭MintyMagnum

Graham wrote: »
    The only thing I can think is the estate agent/vendor expect something negative to turn up in the survey.

Probably a silly question but did you ask the agent why?

So essentially an asset management company is selling, wants the purchaser to fork out for engineer before contracts issued. Or possibly say ah sure we won't bother with a survey...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

So essentially an asset management company is selling, wants the purchaser to fork out for engineer before contracts issued. Or possibly say ah sure we won't bother with a survey...

If the survey throws up anything before contracts signed, then all you lose if you pull out is the survey cost. If contracts are signed subject to survey, and you then pull out, you pay for the survey plus solicitors expenses/fees. Your choice.

If they won't issue contracts until after you are satisfied with survey, then if you refuse, property goes back on market possibly at a higher price.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Darith

In the same situation at the moment. I want to do a survey but initially only when i get the contracts, no contracts yet after weeks; so do i go for a survey? Its a bank sale so my intuition is that something could be wrong in the background. The EA wants to to get the survey done now stating it will delay signing of contracts even tough i have asked for the contracts repeatedly or maybe they want the process to be drawn out.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

That was going on years ago as well , especially with older houses . If the survey is done before contracts are signed then the contracts are not subject to survey and it is more difficult to pull out without loosing the deposit. The estate agent is working for the seller not the buyer , they can insist on anything they like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭paudgenator

Darith wrote: »
    In the same situation at the moment. I want to do a survey but initially only when i get the contracts, no contracts yet after weeks; so do i go for a survey? Its a bank sale so my intuition is that something could be wrong in the background. The EA wants to to get the survey done now stating it will delay signing of contracts even tough i have asked for the contracts repeatedly or maybe they want the process to be drawn out.

Our solicitor said do not get survey done till he gets the Contract of Sale & title. And everything drags on for so long anyway...it's not as if this hurries anything along really. I suggest don't pay for it till your solicitor says to do so.

Advertisement