Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introduce your e-bike

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

They're pretty awesome and it's gotten me off my motorbike.
    My motorbike licence is still clean so it's not a major priority yet. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

the retrofit bikes still work on the 'you don't get anything from the motor unless you're pedalling' principle, yeah?

But even for pedal-assist there are two different ways of doing it:

With cadence sensor only
    This just detects that the pedals are spinning and then assists according to the assist level you choose. The advantage is that it is possible to extract full power from the motor without putting much effort in at all. Disadvantages can be that some cadence sensors have a slow detection rate..you might have to do several revolutions of the pedal under your own steam (difficult on a hill start) before the assistance kicks in and ...more scarily...the motor can keep pushing for a few meters even though you stopped pedaling.
    (Or the other extreme...some cadence sensors are so sensitive that you just need to bump the pedal accidentally and the yoke will try to run away from you)

With torque sensor
    This detects how hard you are pedaling and assists accordingly..the harder you push, the more assistance the motor will give (according to the set assist level).
    The advantage is that these systems usually react very fast..there is no real perceivable lag between leg input and motor output, it just feels natural (only difference is that your legs feel 10 - 20 years younger depending on assist level :D)
    The disadvantage is that you get nothing for free...the bike will not just pull you up the hill on the mere pretense of pedaling, you have to put in actual work ...but then again, you want to get some fitness out of the whole cycling thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 AaronQuinnius

Hey everyone. Anyone feel like getting together for an ebike spin. That and we start a club for us to help eachother out. Any one having battery issues or anything else I can more than likely help out. But the spin idea would be nice as in cork there are only a few of us. And from what I've seen we're all on the south side of cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Discovered another neat feature on my yoke :)

It has a so called push assist. Press the minus button for a few seconds, keep your finger on it and the motor kicks in at walking speed. I'm not old or decrepit enough (yet) to have needed it for pushing the bike...but it comes in really handy when cleaning your chain and you don't have a bike stand or center stand.

Lean the thing over on the kickstand, press the button and hey presto ..the chain moves through your rag all by itself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

peasant wrote: »
    Discovered another neat feature on my yoke :)

It has a so called push assist. Press the minus button for a few seconds, keep your finger on it and the motor kicks in at walking speed. I'm not old or decrepit enough (yet) to have needed it for pushing the bike...but it comes in really handy when cleaning your chain and you don't have a bike stand or center stand.

Lean the thing over on the kickstand, press the button and hey presto ..the chain moves through your rag all by itself :D

Probably safe enough on a bicycle but be careful of your fingers. You should pop a master link on though. Takes two second to take on/off a chain. Pop it into a bottle with some kerosene or diesel, shake shake yo booty and out pops a nice clean chain afterwards. Way easier than farting about trying to clean it when on the bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Have you lads ever had any problems with them in heavy rain...just a thought I had after both my bicycle computer and one light temporarily packed up in the heavy rain last Friday.
    Electronics and water can be a bit problematic.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gwildor

Hey everyone. Anyone feel like getting together for an ebike spin. That and we start a club for us to help eachother out. Any one having battery issues or anything else I can more than likely help out. But the spin idea would be nice as in cork there are only a few of us. And from what I've seen we're all on the south side of cork.

I cycle the Waterford Greenway every day and wouldn't mind meeting a few other e-bikers...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

archer22 wrote: »
    Have you lads ever had any problems with them in heavy rain...just a thought I had after both my bicycle computer and one light temporarily packed up in the heavy rain last Friday.
    Electronics and water can be a bit problematic.

It's definitely a concern of mine with my Bafang conversion kit. I haven't used it yet in the rain but I have a sandwich bag to cover the screen in case and I've electric taped up the main connection between the battery and motor which should be the biggest areas of ingress.

I'd imagine if you've bought a legit purpose built ebike rather than a Chinesium conversion kit then you've little to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

It's definitely a concern of mine with my Bafang conversion kit. I haven't used it yet in the rain but I have a sandwich bag to cover the screen in case and I've electric taped up the main connection between the battery and motor which should be the biggest areas of ingress.

I'd imagine if you've bought a legit purpose built ebike rather than a Chinesium conversion kit then you've little to worry about.
    You could seal the connection up with a hot glue gun if its something you wont be disconnecting often? Guaranteed rain proof then!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Gwildor wrote: »
    I cycle the Waterford Greenway every day and wouldn't mind meeting a few other e-bikers...

Have been planning to do that on my gazelle e bike so perhaps when I get there it would be lovely to see a few more ebikes. I am really enjoying mine having left cycling 6 years ago after injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

I took the plunge with a Lapierre Shaper 800, 500WH battery and Bosch motor. I already cycle 200KM+ a week. This is to take the slack on rest days or when it's blowing stink and I'm tired from doing other sports. I've thrown some mud guards on it and an old rack from the shed so it can carry panniers. The hope is that I won't need/want to drive the car at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rockypro1

Hi,

I know its an old thread. But anyway here's my e-bike build.

Here's videos of my build.

Here's when I got the bike/frame first.
    https://youtu.be/8r8pX3Y5N2s

Here' where its at now, waiting on a battery
    https://youtu.be/wcr-8ChezAE

If you want to see the full built go to youtube and look for rockypro1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

rockypro1 wrote: »
    Hi,

What type of controller do you use to work the 2wd system?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

rockypro1 wrote: »
    Hi,

Since you have a throttle doesn’t it mean that it’s not road legal.

ted1 wrote: »
    Since you have a throttle doesn’t it mean that it’s not road legal.

Nope.

These kit/kits have an on road off road switch for both hubs. 250 Watts road legal and 1000 Watts not legal. So the best of both worlds.
    Also even if both hubs are running it will not go faster just more torque for hills.

Cheers.

RustyNut wrote: »
    What type of controller do you use to work the 2wd system?

This is what I was using
    34j2gbn.jpg
    But this is what I will be using as it has a key. when it arrives in the post
    160soiq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Nice.

Advertisement