Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road closure - Rush-Skerries road

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Very sloppy reporting in that link. It makes several references to the R138 which is on the south side of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

There will be a complimentary shuttle bus provided for people to connect at Lusk with their regular bus provider. Irish Water responded to a query I had in the 'Talk to ...' thread, below. That should be interesting on a wet November evening between 5 and 6 when there could be a couple of 33Xs, a couple of 33s and a 33A all converging on Lusk. We got the 33X service as a result of the Malahide rail line failure - so maybe this road closure will make people think that we really need a local shuttle in this neck of the woods.

Hi cbreeze,

We have received an update in relation to your query regarding wastewater works in Rush.

Irish Water is investing 9.7 million euro in the Rush wastewater collection project which will benefit over 9,000 residents, tourists and the environment in Rush and will significantly improve the bathing water at South Beach Rush by stopping the discharge of untreated wastewater (sewage) into the sea. The project includes the construction of the new infrastructure to collect and transfer wastewater from existing outfalls and overflows to the foreshore and onwards to the new wastewater treatment plant at Portrane. New pumping stations will also be constructed at South Shore, North Beach and East Shore, Rush. The project will improve the bathing water quality at South Beach in Rush and improve the capacity of the network for the future development of Rush.

Irish Water has applied to Fingal County Council for a road closure to take place from the 4 September to the 24 November on the R128 on the Skerries Road between Kilbush Lane to Palmer Road. This road closure is to facilitate the upgrade of 800m of sewer pipes which currently overflow due to the existing capacity of the sewer pipes in the area. This section of the Rush wastewater collection project has to be carried out at this time because infrastructure had to be in place first on Chapel Green Road, Whitestown Road (which is nearing completion) and the pumping station been constructed at North beach beside Golden Ridge estate. This work will take the wastewater from Skerries Road, Palmer Road and Golden Ridge Estate to the wastewater treatment plant at Portane.

If the road closure is granted, alternative routes will be maintained for traffic. For the duration of the road closure a complimentary shuttle bus service will be provided to transfer passengers to Lusk in order to connect with their regular bus provider. Full details of this shuttle service will be advertised locally in advance if the road closure is granted. Pedestrian and cycle access will be maintained at all times and Palmer Road will remain open throughout the works and access will be maintained to schools and the GAA club . The road closure will be phased as when the works are completed along the route, the road will be backfilled and reopened to the public. This section of road will be upgraded as part of these works as it is currently in a poor state of repair. The quality of water at the North Beach and the Harbour Beach will improve dramatically as a result of these works.

Irish Water has kept residents and the wider community updated on the project and held a public information evening in January in the Rush Community Centre. Irish Water has also kept the community up to date through updates in the local media and a dedicated newsletter on the project. 2,500 copies of the newsletter were distributed locally to the Library, Community Centre, Supermarkets and a petrol station.

The project in Rush is progressing well and the following infrastructure has been completed to date;

- A new gravity main at Rogerstown with 382m of new pipes laid
    - A new 445m gravity main laid at South Shore West
    - A new 1060m rising main laid at East Shore
    - Work is continuing on to complete works on a number of pumping stations at South Shore, North Beach and East Shore and gravity sewers and rising mains at locations throughout Rush

Irish Water would like to thank the people of Rush for their cooperation and assistance during these works which will see an end to the discharge of untreated wastewater into the sea and support future economic development in Rush.

Please do not hesitate to contact us should you have any further queries in relation to these works.

Kind regards,
    Micheal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I believe Irish water are refusing to meet local residents but have someone who will meet with people individually.

Dont know where the leaflets went as we didnt get one in our door, They took the cheep way out and left for people to pick up.

There has been very little consultation and these road closures will have serious impact on people who live in Clifflands/St. Catherines areas who will have no bus service for the duration of the works. This is going to seriously impact elderly people and people who use Dublin bus be they students or workers. They will have to walk to Loughshinny to get 33 which will go via Baldungan. There will be a shuttle service from Rush town to Lusk and as Tom O'Leary said to a Skerries resident who has a child attending secondary school in Rush "hopefully it will sync with 33 from Skerries". That is a pretty pathetic answer and not good enough from a member of FCC. I dont see why the 33 from Skerries cant come down the hill and turn at Clifflands and then go via Baldungan to Lusk and Dublin.

There was no consideration given to the people this is going to impact.

There was 2 alternatives, 1 widen Palmer / Park rds even with a temporary surface or 2 a contraflow on Skerries rd.
    If Palmer Rd was actually maintained and they cleaned along the sides of the road it would be up 3ft wider in places. The traffic on this road from early morning is very heavy and in truth is no more than a boreen.

I am fuming with our local reps. It is disgraceful their lack of action to putin place a workable solution.

I hasten to add everyone accepts this work is vital and I have not heard one person complain. It is just way no forward planning was done on this. But that is not surprising

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭meolwan

LeoB wrote: »
    I believe Irish water are refusing to meet local residents but have someone who will meet with people individually.

Dont know where the leaflets went as we didnt get one in our door, They took the cheep way out and left for people to pick up.

There has been very little consultation and these road closures will have serious impact on people who live in Clifflands/St. Catherines areas who will have no bus service for the duration of the works. This is going to seriously impact elderly people and people who use Dublin bus be they students or workers. They will have to walk to Loughshinny to get 33 which will go via Baldungan. There will be a shuttle service from Rush town to Lusk and as Tom O'Leary said to a Skerries resident who has a child attending secondary school in Rush "hopefully it will sync with 33 from Skerries". That is a pretty pathetic answer and not good enough from a member of FCC. I dont see why the 33 from Skerries cant come down the hill and turn at Clifflands and then go via Baldungan to Lusk and Dublin.

There was no consideration given to the people this is going to impact.

There was 2 alternatives, 1 widen Palmer / Park rds even with a temporary surface or 2 a contraflow on Skerries rd.
    If Palmer Rd was actually maintained and they cleaned along the sides of the road it would be up 3ft wider in places. The traffic on this road from early morning is very heavy and in truth is no more than a boreen.

I am fuming with our local reps. It is disgraceful their lack of action to putin place a workable solution.

I hasten to add everyone accepts this work is vital and I have not heard one person complain. It is just way no forward planning was done on this. But that is not surprising

Have to agree 100% with you Leo B which is a killer but where are all our public reps including the ones that we only see on TV. Maybe because there are no local elections for another 2 years. But rest assured they will all be out for the press photos when the works are complete claiming that they got it done.

meolwan wrote: »
    Have to agree 100% with you Leo B which is a killer but where are all our public reps including the ones that we only see on TV. Maybe because there are no local elections for another 2 years. But rest assured they will all be out for the press photos when the works are complete claiming that they got it done.

Im flattered and grateful;)

Must be the season for it but I agree with your opinion aswell. There will be the photo opps ok but in the meantime their clinics should be bombarded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Some more info from the Irish Water website, including details of a public meeting on August 31st:

https://www.water.ie/news/rush-public-information-e/

Rush Public Information evening on planned road closures

Drop-in Public Information evening in the Rush Community Centre on Thursday, 31 August on the planned road closure on the R128

Irish Water is investing €9.7 million in the Rush wastewater collection project which will benefit over 9,000 residents, tourists and the environment in Rush and will significantly improve the bathing water at South Beach Rush, North Beach and Harbour Road Beach by stopping the discharge of untreated wastewater (sewage) into the sea. At present approximately 75% of sewage generated in Rush discharges untreated into the Irish Sea. The next step in the project requires an upgrade of the sewer network along the R128 and will require a phased road closure which has been submitted to Fingal County Council for approval. The phased road closure will take place from Monday, 11 September to Friday, 24 November, 2017.

Irish Water will host a Drop-in Public Information Evening in Rush Community Centre on Thursday, 31 August from 4pm-8pm. The project team will be in attendance to outline the phased closure of the road and to answer any queries members of the community might have. The foul sewer currently in place along the R128 is sub-standard and under capacity. This sewer surcharges in periods of high rainfall discharging raw sewage onto the road and adjacent waterways. The most recent event was 14 August 2017 after a period of heavy rainfall. The new pipe upgrade will eliminate this problem.

The works along R128 the will be constructed in 7 phases. The first phase of the works will require a Stop/Go single lane closure to be in place. The remaining 6 phase of works are at a much deeper depth as the sewer is located 4.5 metres underground and will require 160 metres of road to close at a time as works advance through the phases. Pedestrian and cycle access will be available throughout for the duration of the works.

Event: Drop-in Public Information Evening (Rush Town Wastewater Collection Network– R128 Road Closure)
    Date: 31 August, 2017
    Time: 4.00pm and 8.00pm

Throughout the works at least one of the entrances to Golden ridge will be available for use. Unfortunately due to the programme of works of the project, these works could not have been commenced until the pumping station and Palmer Road/Chapel Green works were completed. These works are almost complete enabling the Skerries Road works to commence. Concerns have been expressed about an increase in traffic on the Palmer Road during these works affecting both St. Maurs GAA and Gael Scoil Ros Eo. It is proposed to provide a Stop/Go traffic management system at school peak times to better manage traffic flows. Local access only signage will also be erected along the road.

Free shuttle bus service
    Two free shuttle bus services with a capacity to match demand will be operating for the duration of the works. Both buses will run for the duration and schedule of the Dublin Bus Service 7 days a week and will pick up and drop off passengers at all the Dublin Bus stops along the route as requested. There will be no connection to the Night Link Service.

Shuttle 1: The bus to take people to Lusk for connection with their regular Dublin Bus Service and return them to Rush on their return. The bus will operate from the Skerries Road at Rush to Station Road in Lusk also serving Rush/Lusk Train Station on the route.

Shuttle 2: It will run from the works area on the Loughshinney side (this will change depending on the work phase) to Loughshinney cross to link up with the Dublin Bus service.

The emergency services have been notified of the proposed road closure. As works progress and sections are completed and other sections opened up the emergency services are notified of these changes by the project team and revised maps forwarded on allowing them to manage their responses should an emergency arise.

The Rush Wastewater Collection Project includes the construction of the new infrastructure to collect and transfer wastewater from existing outfalls and overflows to the foreshore and onwards to the new wastewater treatment plant at Portrane. New pumping stations have been constructed at South Shore, North Beach and East Shore, Rush. The project will improve the bathing water quality at South Beach in Rush and improve the capacity of the network for the future development of Rush.

Residents and members of the community are invited to attend the drop-in public information evening to meet with the project team on the road closure or the project team can also be contacted on 087-1127326.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

So, I take it the 33x will not be running over these two months? Just shuttle bus from rush that stops at each bus stop to lusk then normal 33 from lusk?

Am I getting this right?

So, I take it the 33x will not be running over these two months? Just shuttle bus from rush that stops at each bus stop to lusk then normal 33 from lusk?

Am I getting this right?

No you're not.

The 33, 33A, 33X and 33N will all continue to operate but will not serve Rush.

The shuttle buses will (apparently) connect with the 33, 33A and 33X at Loughshinney and Lusk.

The Dublin Bus diversions are here:
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/News-Centre/General-News/Diversions-on-route-33-33a-and-33x/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

LXFlyer wrote: »
    No you're not.

The 33, 33A, 33X and 33N will all continue to operate but will not serve Rush.

The shuttle buses will (apparently) connect with the 33, 33A and 33X at Loughshinney and Lusk.

The Dublin Bus diversions are here:
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/News-Centre/General-News/Diversions-on-route-33-33a-and-33x/

Ah!! Ok I get it now. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Marcus Antonius

Still no actual timetable for the shuttle buses though?

• Advertisement

The way I read it is that the buses will wait at the connection point for the 33/33A/33X to come along and load up with passengers from the buses and drop them off along the route. As it is a free service it will presumably pick up people who want to board and alight at the intermediate stops along the route (i.e., non-ticket holders).

What is not clear is when at the peak periods between 1615 and 1815 when there could be all three buses converging in a short time will there be enough room on the shuttle for all passengers. The 1600 33A from Swords is usually a very full service with people standing and the first of the 33Xs will be getting to Lusk at around the same time. People who normally use the bus to get to the Rush and Lusk train station and back will also be affected. What will be the capacity of the buses? Will they be double-decker Dublin Bus types, or Bus Eireann coaches or minibuses!

We will see next week how it works but I think there might be a few rows!

cbreeze wrote: »
    The way I read it is that the buses will wait at the connection point for the 33/33A/33X to come along and load up with passengers from the buses and drop them off along the route. As it is a free service it will presumably pick up people who want to board and alight at the intermediate stops along the route (i.e., non-ticket holders).

What is not clear is when at the peak periods between 1615 and 1815 when there could be all three buses converging in a short time will there be enough room on the shuttle for all passengers. The 1600 33A from Swords is usually a very full service with people standing and the first of the 33Xs will be getting to Lusk at around the same time. People who normally use the bus to get to the Rush and Lusk train station and back will also be affected. What will be the capacity of the buses? Will they be double-decker Dublin Bus types, or Bus Eireann coaches or minibuses!

We will see next week how it works but I think there might be a few rows!

Therein lies the problem - I don't think that there is a specific timetable for the shuttles - it's difficult to know how this will operate to be honest.

Very poor planning. Not publishing a timetable is ludicrous.

Get in touch with Irish Water as it seems they are responsible for this.

The below link is on the Irish Water thread in response to a query from another poster:

https://www.water.ie/projects-plans/our-projects/rush-town-wwcs/Bus-Shuttle-Schedule.pdf

The below link is on the Irish Water thread in response to a query from another poster:

https://www.water.ie/projects-plans/our-projects/rush-town-wwcs/Bus-Shuttle-Schedule.pdf

Still suitably vague, and particularly when there is a shuttle every 30 minutes - how is anyone supposed to figure out when they should be at a stop, and what guarantee is there (particularly at off-peak times) that the DB service will wait for the shuttle bus to arrive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Marcus Antonius

Thanks for that. At least it gives some details like that the bus should be every 15 mins at peak times. Also that there will be 50 seats on them. Thought I'd be standing out there on Monday hoping that a shuttle turns up so I can get to work! Probably still happen but at least there's a little more known now.

Still suitably vague, and particularly when there is a shuttle every 30 minutes - how is anyone supposed to figure out when they should be at a stop, and what guarantee is there (particularly at off-peak times) that the DB service will wait for the shuttle bus to arrive?

What indeed, this is going to be fun!! (not)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Maf180

Hi Leo,

Completely agree with you on your points especially re Palmer Road where I am a resident. This road is already a death trap and the amount of money spent on temporary repairs over the years would have paid for the complete widening of the road.

We often see kids walking to gaa training and the school in morning, afternoons and evening and I fear with the extra traffic for them. My kids play out on the green on Palmer Court and will have to watch them like a hawk now also due to the expected extra traffic.

Reason for my post was to ask you as an active member of the gaa is have you as a club ever lobbied FCC for the upgrade of the road. I am sure there would be support all around the area for it as kids and adults from all parts of rush use the gaa club.

Maf180 wrote: »
    Hi Leo,

Completely agree with you on your points especially re Palmer Road where I am a resident. This road is already a death trap and the amount of money spent on temporary repairs over the years would have paid for the complete widening of the road.

We often see kids walking to gaa training and the school in morning, afternoons and evening and I fear with the extra traffic for them. My kids play out on the green on Palmer Court and will have to watch them like a hawk now also due to the expected extra traffic.

Reason for my post was to ask you as an active member of the gaa is have you as a club ever lobbied FCC for the upgrade of the road. I am sure there would be support all around the area for it as kids and adults from all parts of rush use the gaa club.

I was first on the committee as a young lad back in 1982 and thought I could get something done. Here we are 35 years later... still waiting. We have lobbied and put forward good case. My early lobbying was for lights from Kenure Lawns to club so it would accessible for people to walk from Kenure and lights from Palmer avenue to club so people could get up safely from St. Catherines. We strongly put the case forward that the club was built with help from Dublin County council at the time and the provision of lights would encourage people to use the facilities and keep kids out of harms way. There was not as much traffic back then

It was mayhem this evening with massive tailbacks. Had an ambulance needed to access along the route we could well have a tragedy. There was an emergency last week at Gael Scoil and thankfully the emergency services got there, if it were this evening I dread to think on what the outcome would have been tonight

There have been many promises over the years from reps I would now have zero respect for. I would get "yes I have it in the stimates for 1983, 1984..... By some strange twist their towns got well looked after.

I have no faith in any local reps to resolve this.

Whilst I don't like the man, a Paul Murphy type is required for issues like this. Making noise our local councillors have failed to do. I am sick to death of Rush being neglected behind skerries and Malahide.

it was obvious from day one of this project that road would have to be closed and Palmer Road would be obvious 'unofficial' detour.

I would have thought the upgrade of Palmer Road would be of particular interest of the following. Surely we have enough numbers to make an impact. Could we get a petition going.

Residents of Palmer Road and all estates off it such as Palmer Court, Palmer Avenue

Residents of Kenure Lawns and all estates

Every St Maurs Gaa club member

Gaelscoil

Members of Gym

St Catherine's school

Other than that let's elect a Rush man for TD next time. Michael Lowry or the Healy Raes would have had this work done years ago . LeoB TD Sounds good 😊

Whilst I don't like the man, a Paul Murphy type is required for issues like this. Making noise our local councillors have failed to do. I am sick to death of Rush being neglected behind skerries and Malahide.
    it was obvious from day one of this project that road would have to be closed and Palmer Road would be obvious 'unofficial' detour.

It was only obvious to people who looked at the project and obviously people in smug offices in Fingal CC and our T.Ds didnt look to hard at it.
    I would have thought the upgrade of Palmer Road would be of particular interest of the following. Surely we have enough numbers to make an impact. Could we get a petition going.
    Residents of Palmer Road and all estates off it such as Palmer Court, Palmer Avenue

Residents of Kenure Lawns and all estates
    Every St Maurs Gaa club member
    Gaelscoil
    Members of Gym
    St Catherine's school
    You can add the farmers to that as well
    It is getting these people together in one place on one day and to commit to work together. I will suggest it in St. Maurs but I am not on committee now or coaching I just help with a few small bits.
    Other than that let's elect a Rush man for TD next time. Michael Lowry or the Healy Raes would have had this work done years ago . LeoB TD Sounds good ��

It has a great ring to it ok. I would love to do it and have been asked I like politics but not how it is played by some of them, cute hoorism but realistically who in their right mind would work with these people. Some mean well but to many have no balls and will tow the party line no matter what. I dont think Independents can get a lot done unless they do a deal. It appears most work is carried out as a result of a deal, nod and a wink.

We have 2 councillors in Rush now and I know one, Brian Dennehy was lobbying hard for the road to be widened and upgraded. It had been agreed but was then taken off the works. Barry Martin lives in Kenure lawns so in his interest to get this resolved.
    You mention the Healy Rae's and Lowry, just imagine if we could transfer them up to here.

This is going to get a lot more messy and could get nasty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

LeoB wrote: »
    There was an emergency last week at Gael Scoil and thankfully the emergency services got there, if it were this evening I dread to think on what the outcome would have been tonight

Amen Leo, What happened last week was awful, but this week would be unbelievably worse.

Are we supposed to believe Nobody else in Rush will need emergency hospitalization in the coming weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭McAlban

Neglected How exactly? Have Skerries or Malahide have roads upgraded in Large Numbers?

Has a Road Been Closed in either of those places to expediate the Project and therefore Reduce the Impact on Local Residents? Is it to the benefit of the entire Rush community to have better waste water treatment and a cleaner south Strand??

Maf180 wrote:

Not Obvious to everyone. Is there a Posted Detour as normal when a Road Closes?

Through Traffic to Skerries can take alternate routes, It's only Locals with Local Knowledge who'll go through Palmer Road.

Maf180 wrote:

Other than that let's elect a Rush man for TD next time. Michael Lowry or the Healy Raes would have had this work done years ago . LeoB TD Sounds good 😊

Here we go again, You have a number of Councillors including one from Kenure Lawns as LeoB Points out. You've elected Populists Like Martin (Who is a Paul Murphy Type) and Dennihy both a waste of a Vote. IMO

Palmer Road is a Residential Road, and should not be upgraded in my opinion. It will only make it less safe for the Residents.

Voting for a Gombeen will get you nowhere as long term strategic infrastructre like this will never get done because of parish pump politics.

How are people finding the shuttle bus service in terms of connections into and out of the 33/33A/33X?

How are people finding the shuttle bus service in terms of connections into and out of the 33/33A/33X?

I went to Rush from Skerries and back yesterday.
    Got the normal 33 via Loughshinney/Baldungan and exited at Lusk at the stop outside the bookies. Shuttle bus came along not long after to get me to my destination.
    On the way back to Skerries, got shuttle back to Lusk and a few 33s were due at the stop outside the bookies. These were comfortable 50 seater coaches, some of which were Anchor Tours coaches (others plain). The journey from Lusk to Skerries took less than 20 minutes as there are no stops on the diversionary route.

They are coming fairly frequently as I was travelling after 4 p.m. when they run every 15 minutes They each have a placard in the front window marked SHUTTLE. One I saw had 'Dublin Bus' on a placard instead.

You are not asked for your ticket to board, so I guess Lusk/Rush residents wanting to travel to either town will have free transport for the next 10 weeks:D

I should have mentioned that that neither the shuttle nor the Dublin Bus waited for each other to arrive, from my experience yesterday. I also noticed the shuttles catching each other up. The 50 seater I got from Lusk to Rush had only 4 people on board and about 5 on the return journey.

They said the shuttle would indeed be free.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Here's a poster that was put up at every stop between Lusk and Rush.

Shuttle buses are a bit of a hit and miss as you could be waiting 5mins on day and 30mins on another day. There's no collaboration between the shuttle buses and Dublin Bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Is there still pedestrian access along the Skerries / Rush road or is that also closed?
    Sorry I know it may be a stupid question but everything I could find just refers to traffic.

Hi McAlban,
    Thanks for your comments. You seem to focus on infrastructure whereas I refer to all services to the community. Take a look on the FCC website at the last 10 years Capital Expenditure in Fingal, and the plan for next 3 years, and you will see what I mean by neglected for Rush.

Its not just the lack of expenditure, it is also the expectancy that any project which is a bit contetiontious ends up in anywhere but the darlings of Fingal (Malahide, Skerries, Portmarnock, Howth). I am thinking here of Eirgrid Line, Young Offenders Institute, Waste Plants etc. 

On to Palmer Road, this  is most certainly not residential. It homes a thriving GAA Club, a primary school, many working farms and businesses.

I agree that upgrade could create more traffic in long run making it more dangerous, but you would hope that traffic calming measures (speed bumps etc.) would be introduced in residential & GAA, School areas.

In respect of local councillors I agree with you, little impact, hence why i suggested TD. (Saying that James Reilly didnt do much except open a few fetes.) I just think that leverage may help. Look at what some independents have 'sold' there Dail Votes for in their constituencies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Dazed909

Gillo wrote: »
    Is there still pedestrian access along the Skerries / Rush road or is that also closed?
    Sorry I know it may be a stupid question but everything I could find just refers to traffic.

Yes - there is still access for pedestrians and cyclists

Advertisement