Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road closure - Rush-Skerries road

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

McAlban wrote: »
    Neglected How exactly? Have Skerries or Malahide have roads upgraded in Large Numbers?

Has a Road Been Closed in either of those places to expediate the Project and therefore Reduce the Impact on Local Residents? Is it to the benefit of the entire Rush community to have better waste water treatment and a cleaner south Strand??
    While a road may not have been closed a diversion through a field was fine for a few months last year between Lady stairs and Balbriggan. They didnt send people off up around Ardgillen. It worked fine and all locals wanted in Rush was a bit of planning.

Not Obvious to everyone. Is there a Posted Detour as normal when a Road Closes?

Through Traffic to Skerries can take alternate routes, It's only Locals with Local Knowledge who'll go through Palmer Road.
    There is an "official detour" but there is no need for it. There was a simple solution locally which was open the other end of Palmer avenue from 7AM to 9pm daily for cars only. This would have caused little disruption and kept people reasonably happy. One of the lads I mentioned it to hadnt a clue where it was. Not a soul from Fingal CC turned up to the "public meeting" they said would take place. Instead a few smug people who some residents accused of sneering at them from Jons and Irish water. By the way I blame neither of them. This is down more inept planning by Fingal CC.

Here we go again, You have a number of Councillors including one from Kenure Lawns as LeoB Points out. You've elected Populists Like Martin (Who is a Paul Murphy Type) and Dennihy both a waste of a Vote. IMO
    Palmer Road is a Residential Road, and should not be upgraded in my opinion. It will only make it less safe for the Residents.
    Voting for a Gombeen will get you nowhere as long term strategic infrastructre like this will never get done because of parish pump politics.

Quite a few locals didnt vote for Barry Martin. Barry has I believe been very ill for a while and Brian has had 2 family tragedies over the last 12 months. It is Parish pump politics that has seen Rush and Balbriggan left behind to become a dumping ground for estates with no facilities and little planning to improve them. The work they are currently doing should have been in place before all these houses were built but the council wanted money from developers instead of going to central government for funding seeing as they get a massive cut from every house that is built. Now we have over the next few years more houses been built and will all this work be sufficent to cope?
    Palmer rd is far from just a residential area. The Gael Scoil is now full to capicity. St. Maurs caters for Over 1,500 children a week just at coaching session and that is before we take in Senior and juvenile games, basketball and badminton.
    You also have 2 massive glasshouse growers on North hill and one of the biggest suppliers of vegatables in Ireland working a lot of land up there.
    Fingal CC have had numerous request from me and Dublin CC before them for a total of 10 street lights. My first communication on this was with Nora Owen and Ray Burke back in early 1980s and all we got were empty promises. Both ensured their own towns got well looked after. Lusk was reasonably well looked after with nice lights along the village. No doubt their councillor had a role to play. Instead of fixing Palmer rd They waste thousands of €uro filling in the same potholes every year.

It is important to remember nobody complained about the work getting done. It is vital. It is the lack of consultation from the council with local residents and the lack of planning. The bus service is hit and miss but improving I believe however No nitelink for people who work late. So they get off in Lusk and walk home? There is no reason why Dublin bus cant revert to the old service and have a bus leave Rush from the Harbour and the 33 come down and turn at Portico and go direct to Swords to pull back some time. All this comes back to Fingal CC. IMO
    Maf180 wrote: »
    Hi McAlban,
    Thanks for your comments. You seem to focus on infrastructure whereas I refer to all services to the community. Take a look on the FCC website at the last 10 years Capital Expenditure in Fingal, and the plan for next 3 years, and you will see what I mean by neglected for Rush.

Its not just the lack of expenditure, it is also the expectancy that any project which is a bit contetiontious ends up in anywhere but the darlings of Fingal (Malahide, Skerries, Portmarnock, Howth). I am thinking here of Eirgrid Line, Young Offenders Institute, Waste Plants etc. 

On to Palmer Road, this  is most certainly not residential. It homes a thriving GAA Club, a primary school, many working farms and businesses.

I agree that upgrade could create more traffic in long run making it more dangerous, but you would hope that traffic calming measures (speed bumps etc.) would be introduced in residential & GAA, School areas.

In respect of local councillors I agree with you, little impact, hence why i suggested TD. (Saying that James Reilly didnt do much except open a few fetes.) I just think that leverage may help. Look at what some independents have 'sold' there Dail Votes for in their constituencies.

Also locals dont begrudge these other towns the but just want a fair deal for our town which we have never had. As a Fingal Independent headline described Rush back in 1970s "The forgotten town of Fingal". Well Tom Corr, nothing has changed.

Drive the road to Kilgarvan from Kenmare and see the impact the Healy raes have had, Look at what John O'Donoghue and Dick Sppring done in developing north Kerry. The same can be said of most politicans who nail some big projects for their areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Stop go system to start on Monday at the graveyard to put in streetlights... Joined up planning...

There will be mayhem around Rush. Absolute joke.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Half marathon being run on saturday morning from Newbridge demesne, up along road from blakes X, and Skerries rd, to Man o war turn.Assuming road closures.Personally I'm effectively trapped in Rush for Saturday morning so.

Google SSE dublin half marathon for details or check rush needs you facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭markad1

It get's funnier and funnier. You couldn't make it up :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

shesty wrote: »
    Google SSE dublin half marathon for details or check rush needs you facebook page.

Heres the details stinky-linky, despite running it myself, I'm amazed the route was granted permission by Fingal Co Co.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Dazed909 wrote: »
    Yes - there is still access for pedestrians and cyclists
    Just to clarify that technically cyclists are required to be pedestrians for a short bit for the diversion around the footpath at Golden Ridge. It's not 'open' for cycling as such but is accessible.

Gillo wrote: »
    Heres the details stinky-linky, despite running it myself, I'm amazed the route was granted permission by Fingal Co Co.
    Turvey Avenue closed from 7am! I'm usually cycling to work along there around that time. Hopefully they'll let me through.

Gillo wrote: »
    Chaos around Donabate this morning. Lots of cars parked along the Hearse Road and out on the dual carriageway. Looks like a lot of runners got caught in log jams on their way to the event and simply abandoned their cars.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I've had enough of FCC at this point.Living on the Skerries road out of Rush.Yesterday I drove to skerries, got stuck at stop/go lights between loughshinney and Skerries.Small roadworks were going on, but the lane they had left for traffic was so narrow that I had to drive on the path to pass the works.Drove to Lusk later in the day....more stop/go at the roundabout where the Skerries road enters Lusk, where a contractor is building new houses-he was laying kerbs. As for this morning.....we stayed in Rush all day but from what I've seen on social media the whole thing was very badly organised.Traffic jams everywhere, many runners didn't make the race.I'd love to know where they routed the Dublin bus routes from Blakes cross to Skerries during the race (the ones that are already being diverted along the Skerries Road).Apparently the group that operate Newbridge House and Farm were not aware of the race until barriers were being erected this morning.From the athlete's point of view I believe it was an awful set up, with not enough water points, etc.Fingal have posted they were one of the stakeholders in the event and apologised for the mess.But at this point I think a few strongly worded mails complaining would not go amiss.

As I said in another post elsewhere, I have no problem with them doing work in Rush.It's the manner in which they have approached the whole thing that has been appalling, high handed and pretty ignorant.And then compounding the problem by letting roadworks happen EVERYWHERE (feels like it) in the area, and on top of it, this marathon.(and I believe a bike race tomorrow, although that doesn't affect Rush I think).

As I said elsewhere it's not good enough that we should have to lobby local reps for the simple courtey of being informed of major road closures well in advance of them occuring....never mind having to ask for a bit of forward thinking and coordination across the various departments in FCC when it comes to road openings licences and traffic plans.😠

• Advertisement

.....Apparently the group that operate Newbridge House and Farm were not aware of the race until barriers were being erected this morning....
    Fingal County Council run Newbridge House. I'm inclined to think that they may have been aware of the half marathon since they were heavily involved in its organisation and have had signage in place about it for the past week.
    shesty wrote:
    ...and I believe a bike race tomorrow, although that doesn't affect Rush... 
    The Great Dublin Bike Ride (http://greatdublinbikeride.ie/) - a sportive, not a race - it's very difficult to get permission to hold a bike race in Fingal.

Fingal County Council run Newbridge House. I'm inclined to think that they may have been aware of the half marathon since they were heavily involved in its organisation and have had signage in place about it for the past week.
    I know that, so I don't understand how that was.But the facebook page attached to it advised people of the road closures yesterday, and said they had only just found out.As Fingal run the park I don't understand that either.

I know that, so I don't understand how that was.But the facebook page attached to it advised people of the road closures yesterday, and said they had only just found out.As Fingal run the park I don't understand that either.

I hear your "pain".

Im stuck at these lights 3 times a day at least. It is scandalous how people are treated. Im inclined to think no matter what is said there is just no real will there to put things right. These were major works with no real planning.

A lot of the frustration felt by locals is down to pure and simple bad management. Some paths and ditchs are in a deplorable state. All it needs is a crew to be put in place to clean them. It is just to clean them back and maintain a safe and clean walkway for pedestrians. Some lad on a CE scheme has been working around some of the lanes in Rush and made a good difference.

Years ago without the equipment there is available now the council done a great job keeping edges back and cleaning drains. What has happened???

LeoB wrote: »
    ....Years ago without the equipment there is available now the council done a great job keeping edges back and cleaning drains. What has happened???
    Years ago a council 'roadman' was responsible for a particular section of roads and lanes in his locality. He patrolled his patch with his spade and lunchbox on his bike. He knew his area like the back of his hand and looked after it and had pride in it. He knew what sections were likely to flood after heavy rain and took appropriate preventative action by cutting little culverts to drain off the water. He could tell when potholes were beginning to appear and made contact with the depot foreman when bigger jobs were required.

All that has been lost since the men were required to report to a depot and contractors were introduced who have little interest or pride in what they are doing.

Pretty much....outsourcing, contracting.Most state (and ex-state) bodies don't employ direct labour anymore, or only employ limited direct labour.Everything gets contracted out where possible.Supposedly cuts costs (although first hand experience of it tells me that it really costs more in the long run), avoids labour issues and in some cases, removes responsibility from an employer...sure it's easier to point at a consultant or contractor (which is exactly what Fingal do with complaints about the work in Rush.....)

I believe they have now made landowner's responsibility to cut back overhanging trees and hedges along roads and paths too.I think I heard that in the last year or so.

....I believe they have now made landowner's responsibility to cut back overhanging trees and hedges along roads and paths too.I think I heard that in the last year or so.
    That's been in for many years now - possibly 20 or more years.

That's been in for many years now - possibly 20 or more years.

So the land owners are now responsible for trees blocking the public lighting on the road between station and Rush? The overhanging branchs are blocking a lot of light along the road and the path in places are filthy.

As for the road works I heard yesterday that work is ahead of schedule which is very welcome.

Very frustrating sitting at the traffic lights watching people maybe 10 cars go through red lights. I deliver along the road and a "dope" stopped and it is very time consuming trying to get from one house to another. There are only a handful of houses but some people wont give an inch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,857 ✭✭✭billyhead

So the land owners are now responsible for trees blocking the public lighting on the road between station and Rush? The overhanging branchs are blocking a lot of light along the road and the path in places are filthy.

As for the road works I heard yesterday that work is ahead of schedule which is very welcome.

Very frustrating sitting at the traffic lights watching people maybe 10 cars go through red lights. I deliver along the road and a "dope" stopped and it is very time consuming trying to get from one house to another. There are only a handful of houses but some people wont give an inch.

Hi Leo,

Whats the story with the street lamps opposite the graveyard between the train station and Rush. They have no lights on them. Do yu know if its just a matter of waiting for bulbs to be delivered?

billyhead wrote: »
    Hi Leo,

Whats the story with the street lamps opposite the graveyard between the train station and Rush. They have no lights on them. Do yu know if its just a matter of waiting for bulbs to be delivered?

Jeasus how many lads does it take to put in a bulb?

Not sure what the story is. I suspect there was is so much mayhem with the Irish water work going on they might wait until that is done before they attach the lights. They also need to clip back a few branches so we actually get the benefit from the lights, oh and clean the path.

billyhead wrote: »
    Hi Leo,

I'd imagine it's just different contractors for different aspects of the job (or sub-contractors). Electricians don't do the ground works or put up the poles but will connect the actual cables/bulbs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Bloody train strike tomorrow. How's the 33x from lusk on the morning time? Gonna be a nightmare getting into work tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭markad1

Walked up the village yesterday.
    It looks like the contractor is "patching" (badly) the road where they opened it. I could see damage on unopened parts of the road from the heavy equipment.
    If the complete road is not going to be resurfaced this will be a mess.
    But then again it's Rush who cares?

markad1 wrote: »
    ...If the complete road is not going to be resurfaced this will be a mess.
    But then again it's Rush who cares?
    The complete section is due to be resurfaced and re-lined afterwards. It's better for them to wait until all heavy machinery work is finished before doing it to avoid any damage to the new surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭shooter69

Heard today that the road will reopen Saturday ...let’s wait and see!

The complete section is due to be resurfaced and re-lined afterwards. It's better for them to wait until all heavy machinery work is finished before doing it to avoid any damage to the new surface.

They are waiting for 4 weeks I heard before it all resurfaced.
    shooter69 wrote: »
    Heard today that the road will reopen Saturday ...let’s wait and see!

Heard that last week ok. Will be great to avoid the traffic chaos we have had.

See 2 Dublin buses were in Rush yesterday!! Wonder why?. One was up at GAA club and apparently lost!! Seems a bit strange they can get buses into Rush now and the roads still closed and yet for the last 8 weeks there was none. These had to be turned and and gone back the way they came.

To me it shows how incompetent the people who run Dublin bus are. The service should never have been pulled in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

They are waiting for 4 weeks I heard before it all resurfaced.

Heard that last week ok. Will be great to avoid the traffic chaos we have had.

See 2 Dublin buses were in Rush yesterday!! Wonder why?. One was up at GAA club and apparently lost!! Seems a bit strange they can get buses into Rush now and the roads still closed and yet for the last 8 weeks there was none. These had to be turned and and gone back the way they came.

To me it shows how incompetent the people who run Dublin bus are. The service should never have been pulled in the first place.

Happened a fair few times alright. My office is on the main road in Rush and I must've seen at least one dublin bus on that road once a week

They are waiting for 4 weeks I heard before it all resurfaced....
    I heard last night that it may not be resurfaced until the new year as they need to allow for any ground 'settlement' to happen first.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,857 ✭✭✭billyhead

I heard last night that it may not be resurfaced until the new year as they need to allow for any ground 'settlement' to happen first.

There is talk now that the road will be back open next Friday:)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Tweet from Fingal Co Co...

@IWCare have announce that works have been completed ahead of schedule on the R128 Rush-Skerries Road between Kilbush Lane and Palmer Road. The R128 will re-open to traffic this Friday, November 10, at 10am approx. Dublin Bus services via Rush will resume at 1pm on Friday,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Advertisement