Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a GPU for Oculus

Options
  • 11-08-2017 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭

So my GPU is not good enough for the Rift. I have an R9 200 and am looking for recommendations to upgrade to, cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

You probably want an Nvidia GTX 1060 6Gb or a used GTX 980 (only recommending in case the 1060 is out-of-stock again).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

What cpu and psu do you have

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

What cpu and psu do you have

Intel Core i3-2120
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Intel Core i3-2120
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W

You will need a way better CPU than that as well, the i3-2120 is not enough for the latest games let alone VR!

I would say for you to pick up an i7-2600 (or 3770 if the board supports it) first.

An i7-2600 + R9 270 for example would run most VR pretty OK if you lowered the settings a lot, but an i3-2120 will be choppy as hell no matter what card you buy.

If you can afford both, get an i7-2600 (or 3770 preferably if board supports it) and a GTX1060 6GB...will be around €400 for both.

You will need a way better CPU than that as well, the i3-2120 is not enough for the latest games let alone VR!

I would say for you to pick up an i7-2600 (or 3770 if the board supports it) first.

An i7-2600 + R9 270 for example would run most VR pretty OK if you lowered the settings a lot, but an i3-2120 will be choppy as hell no matter what card you buy.

If you can afford both, get an i7-2600 (or 3770 preferably if board supports it) and a GTX1060 6GB...will be around €400 for both.

The motherboard is an ASRock H61M/U3S3

• Advertisement

Yeah, that will be fine for an i7-3770. Usually goes for around €120-150 depending, on Ebay or Adverts. Still a very good CPU for gaming and general use and saves you the hassle of having to rebuild your full system .

I would get the i7 first and new card later. You can still use VR with your current card, just at low settings in many of the games.

The i3-2120 would get you about €25 back, and the R9 270 (or is it a 270X) around €70.

Yeah, that will be fine for an i7-3770. Usually goes for around €120-150 depending, on Ebay or Adverts. Still a very good CPU for gaming and general use and saves you the hassle of having to rebuild your full system .

I would get the i7 first and new card later. You can still use VR with your current card, just at low settings in many of the games.

The i3-2120 would get you about €25 back, and the R9 270 (or is it a 270X) around €70.

Cheers. Ye I'll gradually start upgrading and defo get a new CPU first and hold off on the GPU until the mining craze calms down a bit. The GPU I have is a R9 280X so not good enough for the Rift.

The R9 280X isn't terrible. It won't run games at brilliant visual quality in VR but it will work. I'd say just enjoy some of the more GPU friendly games for a while and you will get by fine. Some of the more demanding ones should even work perfectly OK as long as you run at lower settings.

High framerate is key to VR.

The 280X 2nd hand should get you €100 back, it's pretty similar to a GTX1050Ti new and still a pretty good card for non-VR gaming. In most modern games your i3-2120 would actually be bottlenecking it extremely badly.

The R9 280X isn't terrible. It won't run games at brilliant visual quality in VR but it will work. I'd say just enjoy some of the more GPU friendly games for a while and you will get by fine. Some of the more demanding ones should even work perfectly OK as long as you run at lower settings.

High framerate is key to VR.

The 280X 2nd hand should get you €100 back, it's pretty similar to a GTX1050Ti new and still a pretty good card for non-VR gaming. In most modern games your i3-2120 would actually be bottlenecking it extremely badly.

I ran the Oculus software test and two things failed, USB 3.0 port and the GPU.

Yeah, it will tell you it's not meeting the minimum spec but it will still work fine.

USB3 obviously is a different matter as it won't actually boot up without compatiable hardware.

• Advertisement

Would the Vega 56 be an option (if you can get one before the miners go mental on it)?

Would the Vega 56 be an option (if you can get one before the miners go mental on it)?
    OP needs to update their CPU first.

Vega 56 will be overkill though.

That price for the CPU on eBay is spot on, gonna pull the trigger soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Looking for something similar for the Vive, currently on a 970 and its generally fine but noticing the lag with certain games. What the deal with the 10x0 cards, is that bitcoin goldrush still snapping them all up?

i5 6600k @ 3.50 - Asus z170

Got a i7 3770 for just under €130 on eBay, also ordered a Inateck Superspeed 4 Ports PCI-E to USB 3.0 Expansion Card from Amazon, and oh yeah an Oculus Rift too. Hopefully the R9 280x will be ok until graphic cards come down a good bit in price and I can get a more powerful card.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

FWIW, I have 2 980Ti's on Adverts for sale. If you are interested in one let me know, Id rather cut a deal with someone on this forum than continue with the usual Adverts timewasting!

Also, grab yourself some of the Amazon Basics USB3.0 (3 or 5 meter) extension cables and their HDMI extender cable (same length), you will thank me later!

Had a look at your ad, good price alright but still way too much for me.

Matt Simis wrote: »
    FWIW, I have 2 980Ti's on Adverts for sale. If you are interested in one let me know, Id rather cut a deal with someone on this forum than continue with the usual Adverts timewasting!

Also, grab yourself some of the Amazon Basics USB3.0 (3 or 5 meter) extension cables and their HDMI extender cable (same length), you will thank me later!

How long would a 980Ti be good for before having to upgrade again? Would it be a top card for the Rift?

How long would a 980Ti be good for before having to upgrade again? Would it be a top card for the Rift?

It's a great card and would be a huge upgrade on your 280X. Not far off a GTX1070 when decently overclocked.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01KHWOAR4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

Would the above card be ok. Pain in the ass trying to get a card that is actually in stock. My budget is around €300.

• Advertisement

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01KHWOAR4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

Would the above card be ok. Pain in the ass trying to get a card that is actually in stock. My budget is around €300.

Yes, that's a great price for a GTX 1060 3Gb.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Yes, that's a great price for a GTX 1060 3Gb.

I've ordered it. Getting a free code for Rocket League with it so anyone who gave me advice in this thread would like it it's theirs.

Advertisement