Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone got love for the 1970s?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

ABBA - love them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

The 70's was the high-point of Hollywood cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

snowflaker wrote: »
    :confused:

I think he was quoting what the barman says to Jack Nicholson's character in The Shining.

I'm a bit :confused: too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Classic moments like this.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Corduroys, moustaches and paedos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Denim were de daze.

my immediate thoughts on the seventies:
    - brown, pink, yellow
    - stuffy smell of smoke, old lads drinking beer in pubs with wood on the walls
    - poor quality colour video footage
    - people look greasy
    - dublin v kerry gaelic football matches
    - big paedo-looking sideburns, glasses, moustaches, long hair, flared trousers, polo neck jumpers, sheepskin coats ... surely the most objectively unaesthetic fashions of the last 100 years?
    - adults are rougher with children (their own and others) and scarier than they are now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

I couldn't get any satisfaction that deccade. No, no, no, hey, hey, hey, that's what I used to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Masala

Summers were really hot and the sun always shining!!!

A town 10 miles away was a special to visit... and Dublin for a culchie was on an different planet!!

And thumbing was a safe way to get around.......

And 'tapping' the old black public phones was great fun especially if u got it right and got thru to your mate and then hog the box fir an hour!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

The world lost Jim Morrison and gained Me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

The cars of the 70s

• Registered Users Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Don't remember much about it apart from 1979 when I started school.

Found a programme page from one of the papers back then when we were clearing out the home place, very little on the box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭YourSuperior

Masala wrote: »
    Summers were really hot and the sun always shining!!!

A town 10 miles away was a special to visit... and Dublin for a culchie was on an different planet!!

And thumbing was a safe way to get around.......

And 'tapping' the old black public phones was great fun especially if u got it right and got thru to your mate and then hog the box fir an hour!!

Yeah, what's going on there? Did randomers just become more dangerous as the years rolled on? It must be the rise in car ownership, better cars, transport, etc, rather than safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Masala

And waiting all week to go to the 'hop' in the local hall!!
    Anf the woman in the house next door would open her house for burgers....and a can if coke!!!

And every summer the 'Carnival' would come to town and country N western acts would play in the big tent. Next day we search the floorboards for loose change lost during the odd jive!!

And you knew EVERYBODY in town .... their fathers, mothers, brother sisters tv. And everyone knew your name and would always say hello on the street!!! Innocent times!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭bobbyss

my immediate thoughts on the seventies:
    - brown, pink, yellow
    - stuffy smell of smoke, old lads drinking beer in pubs with wood on the walls
    - poor quality colour video footage
    - people look greasy
    - dublin v kerry gaelic football matches
    - big paedo-looking sideburns, glasses, moustaches, long hair, flared trousers, polo neck jumpers, sheepskin coats ... surely the most objectively unaesthetic fashions of the last 100 years?
    - adults are rougher with children (their own and others) and scarier than they are now

Just waiting for Bobby Doyle to get a red.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It was the end of the free loving sixties.

A dark and edgier time, music got heavier, hard drug use became rampant amongst rock stars. A lot of people didn't make it through the decade.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

As decades go, it was pretty darn good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Sorry lads, born in 1970, so I love the specials,

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

But we were the ones that had the likes of Linda Lucardi and sam fox as sexy

21/25

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Born in 1975 so I only remember the last year or two of the 70s. Yes, great music but sh*te fashion.

A pretty good time to be young and professional in urban America or Britain or Western Europe. Ireland was still pretty poor and Church dominated but we were slowly "getting there." The economy boomed in the first half of the decade - and then the oil crisis happened...

For most of the rest of the world, it was pretty awful - totalitarian oppressive regimes, bloody uprisings/coups, political and economic instability and other misery.

Terrorism also took off in the 70s - the North, Middle East but also groups like the SLA (who kidnapped and recruited heiress Patty Hearst) in the USA and the RAF in Germany. Lots of pro Communist sentiment amongst the youth.

Women's rights advanced greatly in the West, the gay rights movement began and racism became much less acceptable.

So if you were a well to do Baby Boomer in North America and Western Europe, the 70s was hedonistic and fun. For most, it wasn't.

It basically was the transition between the idealistic 60s and the greed is good 80s.

• Advertisement

It is kinda incredible to think that next year, 1970 will be 50 years in the past. Wow...

So as the 1970s fade further and further into the recesses of history, what do people today, at the end of the 2010s, make of the decade of disco, flares, glam, inflation, punk, colour TV, chopper bikes, pocket calculators and the digital watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Im a nineties chick.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

The sweets were great in the 70s. Full of artificial colourings, flavours and preservetives and tonnes of sugar. We went outside to play, unsupervised.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i love the hair and the medallions...:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

JupiterKid wrote: »
    So as the 1970s fade further and further into the recesses of history, what do peopke today, at the end of 5he 2010s, make of rhe decade of disco, flares, glam, inflation, punk, colour TV, chopper bikes, pocket calculatirs and the digital watch?
    I had a purple Chopper. Used to play with it a lot. Oh wait, that was later... I remember one kid in the year above me got a digital watch. One of those red LED ones and one of those you had to press a button to light up the display. He was showing off to the school. It would have been pretty expensive at the time. I clearly remember it running out of batteries because he'd been showing it off too much. :D God love him he started to cry... My dad had a Seiko digital calculator. The first or one of the first LCD calculators, around 78 IIRC. Oh yeah, dead fanceh. I still have it. Still works too. :)

488250.jpg

I also remember him showing it off to some rellies at a christmas thing and one of them, thankfully by marriage not blood - god rest her she was lovely, but as dim as a two watt lightbulb - asked him where it was from. So The Da helpfully comes back with "Japan". To that she gets all excited and says "Oh yes!! I can see the Japanese on the dial!". "Wut?" sez he. Sez her "look!! Su Mo Tu We... I wonder what it means?". Yep. No word of a lie. Bless. How he didn't stroke out on the spot with holding the laughter in I'll never feckin know. Though The Ma giving him dagger eyes probably helped. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

My dad was a real gadgets man. He had to have the latest of everything in the 1970s, 80s and 90s (and right up until his passing in 2014 in fact...)

When I was in my late teens in the early 1990s he showed me his first pocket calculator, from before I was even born - it was a Sanyo LED scientific calculator which ran on batteries, a 1973 model. It cost a fortune at the time. He also had one of the very first LCD digital wristwatches, a Casio, from about 1976.

c15e8633-d726-41a5-b7b2-d7f04fa23ee4.jpg

The Sanyo calculator is now in my proud possession and my eldest sister has the Casio watch. I can imagine these becoming collectors’ items in the not too distant future. :)

An Irish-American friend of our family, who moved from New York to Dublin in the 1970s, got me a Texas Instruments Speak and Spell when I was about 4 in 1979. Here it is below. It could actually speak and tell you if the word it asked you to spell was correct or incorrect. An amazing piece of technology for its time!

Speak_%26_Spell_%28original_style%29.jpg

The 1970s is now considered by film historians to be the second best decade for Hollywood cinema after the 1930s - with excellent plots, daring new subject matter, great actors and new cinematographic techniques dominant in this decade.

It was also the decade that gave birth to the cinema blockbuster - Jaws in 1975, Star Wars in 1977 and Superman in 1978. The Horror genre reached its golden age in 1970s, with classics such as The Exorcist (1973), The Omen, Carrie (both 1976) and Halloween (1978).

There are just far too many great films from the 1970s to list here. But some real standout films include the following:

M.A.S.H (1970)
    Airport (1970)
    Five Easy Pieces (1970)
    The Andromeda Strain (1971)
    The French Connection (1971)
    Dirty Harry (1971)
    Klute (1971)
    Play Misty For Me (1971)
    A Clockwork Orange (1971)
    The Godfather (1972)
    Cabaret (1972)
    Deliverance (1972)
    Pink Flamingoes (1972)
    Mean Streets (1973)
    The Wicker Man (1973)
    Serpico (1973)
    The Exorcist (1973)
    The Sting (1973)
    Sleeper (1973)
    The Great Gatsby (1974)
    Blazing Saddles (1974)
    Chinatown (1974)
    The Taking Of Pelham 123 (1974)
    Jaws (1975)
    One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest (1975)
    The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)
    Network (1976)
    The Omen (1976)
    Taxi Driver (1976)
    Carrie (1976)
    All The President’s Men (1976)
    Star Wars (1977)
    Capricorn One (1977)
    Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)
    Saturday Night Fever (1977)
    Annie Hall (1977)
    The Deer Hunter (1978)
    Superman (1978)
    Grease (1978)
    Halloween (1978)
    Midnight Express (1978)
    Apocalypse Now (1979)
    Alien (1979)
    The Life Of Brian (1979)
    The China Syndrome (1979)

Marlon Brando in The Godfather, released in 1972. Considered to be one of the greatest
    films ever made.
    MV5BM2MyNjYxNmUtYTAwNi00MTYxLWJmNWYtYzZlODY3ZTk3OTFlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzkwMjQ5NzM@._V1_.jpg

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

My first ever calculator, bought from a mail order catalogue - it saw me through my A Levels and Maths degree:

488371.jpg488372.jpg

Lived in the country throughput the 70s and in those days we and probably bought 90%+ of our school stuff "remotely" - how times have changed:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Yes, I was conceived in 1976

• Advertisement

I was born in 72 so much of the seventies was through the eyes of a child, so most of it is a blur, i just remember running around playing outside till all hours, i have some pictures of me with dodgy shirt collars and flared pants so yeah the fashion was a bit meh but suited the era i suppose.

I do remember my dads green fake leather covered record player, man we all loved it, so many buttons to press (and broke quiet frequently)

Ahh nostalgia.

Advertisement