Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 7 Episode 5 "Eastwatch" - "Non book readers"

• 11-08-2017 10:26pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Note anything after this post may contain spoilers for the episode; do not read or open this thread until you have watched the whole episode!!!

This is ONLY about the specific episode! No information from any other source but listed below are allowed to be posted but book related information is allowed as well as the lore from the DVDs. Anything relating to interviews or articles directly related to this episode can be posted with a spoiler tag.

The "Next Episode" and any speculation on what may come in the future episodes should be put in the appropriate Season 7 speculation thread; any funny pictures from the episode should be posted in this thread until Wednesday rather than the funny picture thread.

In addition anyone picking up 3 yellow cards will be banned from the forum for the current season; in case of serious enough transgressions the ban may come earlier than 3 cards.

Thread will be unlocked on Sunday evening.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

So long Dermot O'Leary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

The whole big Arya arc is to slowly make her as annoying as littlefinger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Struggling to absorb all that (not the first time) but I think GOT may finally have jumped the shark a bit. Hope I'm wrong.

Daenerys has the power to destroy Cersei but instead agrees to send her Hand on a possible suicide mission to convince Cersei (via Jaime) to agree to a truce if Jon Snow brings back a live "wight" which is a case of another massively high-risk maneouvre. And Gendry goes from - "who the **** knows or cares where he is" - to Smith again, to friend, ally and sidekick of Jon Snow in roughly 5 minutes?? :confused:

Maybe I'm just suffering from late night crankiness on my part, will see what develops. Littlefinger has been an annoying character a bit, but at least we know matters are coming to a head there in episode 6 I imagine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

What was on the note that Arya found?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I've been one of the biggest defenders of the fast travel but I think there was a little too much in that episode. Pace needs to pick up since we're approaching the end but there is such a thing as going too fast.

Tyrion, for instance, went from the Reach to Dragonstone to King's Landing and back to Dragonstone in that episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Jayop wrote: »
    What was on the note that Arya found?

It was the note Cersei forced Sansa to write in begging Robb to swear allegiance to Joffrey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

The lads setting off north at the end of the episode should have been very cool, but it came out of nowhere, with all the players conveniently converging with no real build up. Starting to feel very rushed, although maybe I'm just comparing to the ponderous pace of some of the earlier seasons.

Also thought Bronn and Jaime's escape at the start was a real anti-climax... It was a great cliffhanger last week, but with no real payoff.

Disappointed to see the Tarlys go up in shmoke, as I hoped Sam would one day get the chance to prove himself to the oul lad.

Littlefinger think he has it all figured out but I'm hoping Arya catches him with the double bluff.

Arya and Sansa may not get on but I think it'd be stupid if Arya actually believes Sansa betrayed her family willingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

I hope Sansa gets it soon. She's really easy to hate.
    Actually all the female characters are getting on my nerves lately. Big episode in store next week.

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    I hope Sansa gets it soon. She's really easy to hate.
    Actually all the female characters are getting on my nerves lately. Big episode in store next week.

Really? I think she's been great this season.

Arya was a tool in this episode.

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »
    Really? I think she's been great this season.

Arya was a tool in this episode.

Ya she's annoying me as well. Littlefingers going to play her for a fool anyway. Until he gets it of course.

Sansa has always pissed me off. And seeing her power hungry antics every episode is making it worse. Always so quick to push JS to the side. Bring back Ramsey to teach her a lesson or 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Ayra came across as a child in this episode (I know she still is)
    Telling Sansa she should have killed everyone who talked ill of Jon
    Even way she stalked Littlefinger like she did with the cat in Season 1

This is the origin of the letter Littlefinger planted for her:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Bring back Ramsey to teach her a lesson or 2.

That's just fcuked up lad

wp_rathead wrote: »
    That's just fcuked up lad

Maybe a Bit. But this is GOT after all.
    I can't believe more people don't find her as annoying as me. Yes she's had s hard time of it but she's not really necessary anymore. Time to kill her off.

I think Sansa will surprise everyone, she won't be betray Jon.

I think Sansa will surprise everyone, she won't be betray Jon.

I agree, she won't betray him.

She might very well **** things up though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Maybe a Bit. But this is GOT after all.
    I can't believe more people don't find her as annoying as me. Yes she's had s hard time of it but she's not really necessary anymore. Time to kill her off.

People may well find her annoying, but it doesn't mean they want to see the character raped and tortured again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

So firmly in the hope daenerys get's her head mounted on a spike camp now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Rahaegar did WHAT?? :eek:

NuMarvel wrote: »

Raggar*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

NuMarvel wrote: »

No more Jon Snow I guess.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Jon, Thoros, Bedric, Sandor Clegane, Tormund, Gendry and Jorah - now that would be some group to follow over the course of a few episodes, unfortunately we're only likely to see them for about 7 seconds together before they teleport back to King's Landing.

So, the pregnancy. Real, or a lie to keep Jaime in line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

2 questions.

Rhaegar did what!?

And what was on the note Arya found?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Good episode with lots furthered and set up. A huge amount really in the episode.

Gendry returning as a bad ass, hammer wielding bastard was a surprise.

For the first time though, I think it is a pity to see so many stories coming together so fast. While I am liking them I find myself wanting more. The speed also takes away from how good the moments could be.

It would be great to see a slower story of Arya and Littlefinger spying on each other and setting each other up rather than 3 minutes.

Sansa and the north families possibly turning on Jon could be happening in snippets over a few episodes.

Jon meeting the dragon could have happened on a hill with Dany seeing it from a distance rather than the way it happened. It was just weird having her fly the dragon into his face.

Gendry returning is good but could they not have had him in a couple of episodes before going north? It was interesting to see them bond over their fathers yet they were actually enemies yet they would both be dead if the previous kings had their way.

The brotherhood mixing with wildings or a night of booze and stories with the rest of Jons crew before going north?

How about some build up of relationship between Jorah and Jon?

Lack of a Bronn and Tyrion scene on his way out of the city was another moment I wanted to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    The whole big Arya arc is to slowly make her as annoying as littlefinger

Arya used to be great as the plucky, insolent kid. It worked especially well when paired with Tywin and the Hound. This season she's become an unbearable asshole. Every line Maisie Williams has delivered so far is just dripping with smugness. Not sure if this is the fault of the actress or the direction but it's the only real bummer in an otherwise excellent season.

Vicxas wrote: »
    Rhaegar did what!?

I know!!

It was the scroll Cersei forced Sansa to send to Robb back in Season 1, asking him to bend the knee to Joffrey after Ned was arrested. Basically, Littlefinger planted it to rise Arya's suspicions of Sansa's intentions.

DM_7 wrote: »
    Jon meeting the dragon could have happened on a hill with Dany seeing it from a distance rather than the way it happened. It was just weird having her fly the dragon into his face.

It wouldn't have been out of character for her, especially at that point, to try and intimidate Jon into reconsidering bending the knee. She'd just had her first big win thanks to the dragon, so I wouldn't put it past her to use Drogon to remind Jon that he can claim to be the King in the North all he wants, but she wants to be Queen of all of Westeros and she's got dragons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

No family get together between Jon, Bran and Ayra. The army of the dead must be the slowest moving thing around compared with everyone one else been able to jump from place to place in minutes.

It's been moving for seven series and still hasn't reached the wall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Varik wrote: »
    So firmly in the hope daenerys get's her head mounted on a spike camp now.
    I don't understand this viewpoint. Jon beheaded Janos Slynt for refusing an order and hanged a child for 'murder'. Dany executes a treasonous lord who refused to submit or take the black and she's the bad guy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

2 questions.

Rhaegar did what!?

Rhaegar had an annulment from his previous wedding, then wed again
    (Lyanna Stark) which makes Jon snow not a bastard but a legitimate son

Arya found the note where Cersei forced Sansa to swear allegiance with Joffrey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Jon Snow is the true king.

Dany is the sexy aunt he wants to bang.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Oh you just know the next episode will be a spectacle with the group heading north. Thought the scene of them walking into the blizzard was epic, what a team!

Littlefinger is obviously hoping arya kicks up a scene with sansa over the letter, I couldn't bare to see Littlefinger get his way. It's cool how all the story lines are merging, even sam is heading north now.

I don't understand this viewpoint. Jon beheaded Janos Slynt for refusing an order and hanged a child for 'murder'. Dany executes a treasonous lord who refused to submit or take the black and she's the bad guy?

Why is it "murder" rather then murder?

It was clearly murder and the little **** partook in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Good episode but so much happened so fast that it's not in keeping with the usual pace of earlier seasons. It didn't mean I didn't enjoy it but this season has had a few moments where characters reuniting are not landing emotionally or as dramatically as they should. Tyrion meeting Jamie wasn't as good as I'd have anticipated. Jorah's back and now he's leaving his queen already:eek: Ser Friendzone, I'm shocked!

Oh and Jamie's survival at the very start was another letdown in the episode. I know it was an hour length but it would have been good opening with a bit of struggle for Bronn trying to save him and get him to land while hiding from the enemy.

• Advertisement

She wasn't his Queen, she just executed a prisoner of war which from Robb beheading his banner men for the same and the how the northern army reacted to the prisoners executed in harrenhal isn't view as an OK thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Decent episode in the main but I agree with previous posters about the pace being almost too fast for some characters.

I was really hoping John would form a bond with Rhaegal and fly him for even one lap around Dragonstone with a view to eventually flying him to the wall.

She wasn't his Queen, she just executed a prisoner of war which from Robb beheading his banner men for the same and the how the northern army reacted to the prisoners executed in harrenhal isn't view as an OK thing to do.
    Yes she was. Olenna Tyrrell had pledged to her and by extension all her bannermen too. He was a traitor whatever way you look at it. His "You're a furriner" defence was as flimsy as his armour was against dragon fire. :)

Yes she was. Olenna Tyrrell had pledged to her and by extension all her bannermen too. He was a traitor whatever way you look at it. His "You're a furriner" defence was as flimsy as his armour was against dragon fire. :)

Olenna Tyrrell also pledged to the younger baratheon who'd no claim, and then Joffery (who she killed).

Also after Robert rebellion they pledged to him.

Olenna Tyrrell also pledged to the younger baratheon who'd no claim, and then Joffery (who she killed).
    That was actually Mace Tyrrell.

But so what? You take your chances with your allegiances knowing what the cost of failure is. Tarly's stubborn refusal to bend the knee to Daenerys was almost comically misguided. He was easily persuaded to pledge to the Lannisters, despite (as his own son said) the horror of fighting and killing people he would have known all his life.

To allow him to openly reject her and let him live would have been the stupidest thing Daenerys could have done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Solid enough episode

Saw the preview for next week OMG

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Solid enough episode

Saw the preview for next week OMG
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I've been one of the biggest defenders of the fast travel but I think there was a little too much in that episode. Pace needs to pick up since we're approaching the end but there is such a thing as going too fast.

Tyrion, for instance, went from the Reach to Dragonstone to King's Landing and back to Dragonstone in that episode.

Dragonstone is actually really close to Kings Landing by ship believe it or not. If you look at a map they are right next to each other. That makes geographical sense.

Jon and his band being seemingly able to teleport from Dragonstone to Eastwatch is ****ing ridiculous though. Its about ten times the distance.

Kirby wrote: »
    Dragonsreach is actually really close to Kings Landing by ship believe it or not.
    He's talking about The Reach which is where Highgarden is. But Tyrion wasn't actually there anyway. The battle was at the Blackwater Rush which is just south west of Kings Landing.

And obviously not far from Dragonstone either.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Subacio

Seems to me that the dragon got the whiff of Targaryen from Jon Snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Subacio wrote: »
    Seems to me that the dragon got the whiff of Targaryen from Jon Snow.

What gave you that idea? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Highgarden is approx 760 miles from Kings landing according to those that have worked out the distances. That's three times as far as Cork to Belfast for those wondering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Why didn't John bring any dragon glass with him?? It wasn't shown as they were leaving..

Why didn't John bring any dragon glass with him?? It wasn't shown as they were leaving..
    Jorah helped load a box into one of the boats. I assumed that's what it contained.

They were in the caves/mines when he met Gendry, wasn't he? I assume they were bringing some on to the boats from there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement